Agnostic.com

806 60

How do you tell religious people that you're an atheist?

I live in America and am surrounded by Christians.
Whenever I talk about myself to religous people, I want to say ,"I am an atheist". Do you say that? Is there a better way?

Bingogwak 6 Sep 10

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

806 comments (426 - 450)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I'm very matter of fact about it. If it comes up. I don't lead with it, but it's part of my identity so I don't keep it in a closet. I'm like, oh, youre Catholic. I'm an atheist. Like volunteering my ancestors are from Ireland. Next.

jmott Level 3 Dec 18, 2017

I just don't feel the need to tell people anything like that.I'm in the UK though and there isn't much of a religious movement here.

I don't usually tell them unless someone asks, luckily I don't live in the bible belt so it wouldnt come as a shock to most people, as I think there are more like me than not. I do wear a nice dainty sterling silver " A" pendant but no one has asked about it except for a very good friend, who us ultra catholic (she is from texas if that tells you anything, although shes not in your face religious) I was a bit worried about upsetting her as I heard that she's praying for me (yikes) I told her the pendant was for my middle name. Not sure if she knew I was lying, but she said nothing. I will tell her later the truth, but hey, catholics are used to being lied to anyway so how is my lie any different!

I politely say I am a nontheist, and if I have to, I walk away.

won't say a word but keep looking at them with a strange made up smile.
they will crawl away like a crab

I only say something if they bring it up. Given that I work in a scientific field, I'm lucky in that most of the people I interact with on a daily basis are also atheists or agnostic, so despite being in the Bible Belt, its rare for my atheism to come up in a conversation with a theist.

Now, in those scenarios where I am conversing with a theist and a religious topic comes up, I don't mock or belittle them and I don't cut in "well, I'm an atheist, so...". I simply share my thoughts on the topic at hand and it becomes rather quickly apparent that I'm not a believer.

I do not push my beliefs on others.

Only if someone asks directly will I mention it. Otherwise, it's my own personal belief, and I have no business pushing it on others.

I found if it comes up it's easiest to just say I'm an atheist. If I skirt around it or sound like I'm "only doubtful" I'll get an earful of how god loves you and don't worry god has a plan. Atheist seems to make people go quiet right away.

Unless they come at me with "I am a Christian (or Jew or Muslim or whatever)", I don't feel it necessary to make it part of my "getting to know me" spiel. Really, don't most people just exchange names and jobs and talk about families and whatnot? If they are that aggressive that they have to introduce themselves with their religious belief, then just do it back. Otherwise, if it eventually comes up in conversation, then just say it. Theists have no problem stating their religion, or where they attend church, etc. Why should you?

I just usually say I have no religion and no gods if I do not know the people. I only use the word Atheist with people I know. All my friends and family know my views (most of my family is super religious). I cannot believe the stigma behind that word in the US.

I use to announce it, back when I felt smart about it. But most people don't see it as an intellectual development. They see it as spiritual corruption. Nowdays, I don't say it in a bragging manner anymore.

This is just so not an issue here.

I never hide the truth, I just state that I am an Atheist, I state it as loud and clearly as the situation dictates/requires and defend my stance when and where ever necessary. Be proud to be an Atheist, Be honest about being an Atheist and NEVER surrender you convictions for anything or anyone.

Generally, other peoples beliefs are not important to me and don't impact my life. Their religion is none of my business as mine is not theirs. I do not go out of my way to tell someone I'm an atheist but if pressed I just say their beliefs are not mine or their god is not mine.

Here in Arkansas, I just keep my mouth shut.... I don't want to talk about something that'll just make no difference, and have people "pray" for me.... I don't have time for it.

Very firmly!!

We are all programmed to be in a box of conformity but I always tell the truth whether it benefits me at the moment or not. Each life has their own path and they are in their own transition towards our goal which is to be the Gods of our own earths. Its a slow process, but we are on our way, with many people waking up to the fake reality the media has forged for us. There is more light than darkness on our planet now and they evil will be in full disclosure, waking more people.

At least you use a small a. They like to depict "Atheist" (with a captial A) as being just another religion.

godef Level 7 Dec 22, 2017

I don't divulge that I'm Agnostic very often. When I do I tell people that I believe in morals and humanity but not the supernatural Jesus.
I'm super annoyed by Merry Christmas and the fallacy of a war on Christmas. I feel like responding to their "Merry Christmas" with "Happy Hannaka" or something just so these people realize that they are not the only ones who matter this time of year. Can't wait until Christmas is done with.

Usually only if they ask me directly.

I try to be completely myself, in all places, with all people. I stopped living a life of pretense about 10 years ago. So if the discussion comes up I never shy away from telling people that I am an atheist. I am also public about my secularism.

there is nothing more difficult than saying that in Arabian world and I was saying that. but first you have to know the person and show him that you are a good person.

I just say that I am an atheist

No. I generally tell them I’m agnostic, or, if they're selling their bs at my door, I tell them to go bother someone else.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:121
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.