Agnostic.com

54 7

Do men have a duty to provide?

Do you think it’s a husband’s responsibility to provide for the wife and family?

Lucignolo 6 Aug 7

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

54 comments (26 - 50)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Uuummm, it is 2018, not 1888....

There is no hard and fast rule in long term relationships. Whatever works for each couple, in some cases man is the main breadwinner, some cases the woman, and in most cases nowadays both contributing financially. The cost of running a home and raising a family is so high in our modern society that unless one party in the relationship has a high income, it is not possible for one of them to stay at home. When I got married in 1973 things were vastly different and it was quite normal for wives to stay at home to raise the children when they were infants.....I did this, however I think it would be impossible to manage on one income today.

Note to men. You may not always be with your children as they grow up. But remember, they have a right to enjoy the same standard of living as you.

Do you mean the same living standards I had growing up?

@Anonbene No, the same or better living standard that you enjoy now while they are growing up. If you honestly can't achieve this, no-one should judge you if you are striving to do your best. One character that I know drives around in a Maserati while his ex-wife struggles to bring his children up and has to work at two jobs to make ends meet. I've met a few like that.

@Paul_Clamberer

Anecdotes aren't accepted as fact.
I heard of a woman that was given a house a car all the child support required but spent it all on herself. Kids were dirty, dirty house, and hungry.

@Anonbene It's true that some women are far from perfect and a few are truly horrible. Just like men.
All I know is that if my children lacked any comfort, emotional or material, that I could give and didn't, I would not be happy with my self.

@Paul_Clamberer quite a few and they brag about how their lawyers "saved them money".

No - whatever the two people agree to.

I think that it is something that needs to be agreed upon between a couple. For instance, if a man insists on his wife staying home, then, yes, it is his responsibility. If a wife is working and suddenly loses her job, it’s his responsibility to help until she’s able to get to work again. This does not mean she gives up on finding a new job. If you get divorced, and the kids live with the wife, then child support is the father’s responsibility. Nowadays, with the economy the way it is, both people need to work to make ends meet, so the responsibility is split. However, working out how to pay bills is a joint effort and that includes saving money for emergencies.

No. I would advise against marrying anyone who feels the need to be "taken care of".

They don't but I think old cultural norms are hard to shed and many men still feel more fulfilled in life if they are filling at least some provider role. Don't have to be the primary or sole provider anymore but wouldn't want to be dependent financially. But I am also older than many here and won't speak for those under 30.

Absolutely not. It is up to the couple to decide the division of labor in their relationship.

I had a male college roommate who was the eldest in a large family and loved taking care of kids. He wanted to be with a woman who wanted to be the breadwinner while he stayed home taking care of the house and kids.

It would depend upon the agreements made prior to the marriage, I suppose. If you made the commitment "in sickness and in health" and one spouse becomes unable to work due to poor health, then yes, the other spouse supports them. It doesn't matter if it's the husband or the wife, the commitment should apply either way. If both people are employed at the time of the marriage and one of them stops working and says, "Okay, now you support me," that could be a misrepresentation or betrayal. Once one spouse changes the relationship dynamics for no good reason, the other spouse should feel free to reciprocate in kind.

Deb57 Level 8 Oct 18, 2018

Better not be the only solution in todays age.
I am fine with it because I believe one parent should raise the kids not ship them off to daycare but whether it is me or her staying home wouldn't make a damn bit of difference to me...I don't think.

Now we didn't have kids so our divorce settlement was it but if we had kids we agreed one of us was taking care of and teaching them as infants/toddlers up to school...then we would figure it out again after that.

Sure, but not exclusively.

Certainly, if there are children or pets to care for - adults need to provide adequate care and shelter. Any family without such dependents ? Then it's up to those partners, or the single adult, to work out a mutually agreeable way of responsible living.

Totally subjective. Where would the duty concept come from? Little like a soul, or angels.

Just practicality maybe--men can earn more money than women (the wage gap is very real) & also women spend time being pregnant & breastfeeding, which makes it harder to work. But I have a hard time respecting women who don't work when they can.

Were taught these roles as children and it is a reflection of a societies values/ideology.
So is it a duty? Depends on the society.

I think they should be patient.

If you said you intend to shirk your obligations once your education is complete that would be another thing.

You will likely have a lucrative job in the future.

You should not give that up to wait tables.

Timothy 5:8

“Anyone who does not provide for their relatives, and especially for their own household, has denied the faith and is worse than an unbeliever.”

Christian Dad

“A man who makes no effort to provide for his family cannot rightly call himself a Christian.”

The idea that a man has a duty to provide comes from the bible.

The bible can say clever things and I don’t believe everything in it is necessarily bad. But this idea of the man as provider is sexist. A lot of abused women are unable to escape because they don’t have financial independence and never worked. Work buys freedom.

Many men that don’t abuse but are the only bread winners use this as leverage to impose their will and have the last word. Financial dependency can limit freedom.

I think it’s in the women’s best interest to pursue independence and move away from those ancient and sexist values that impose control upon them.

Uh. The bible is not proof of anything whatsoever. Makes as much sense as me quoting lord of the rings. Its a literary creation not a law or science.

@OpposingOpposum oh I agree 100%. I quoted the bible to show where this idea of the husband as provider finds its support. Ancient stupidity.

No.

In general, that's true. If a man doesn't want to provide for his wife when she is pregnant and raising babies, then she's better off NOT marrying him in the first place and NEVER having children with him.

I made that mistake..I put my low life ex through medical school then when I had a baby and was at home with the newborn, he disappeared to hang out at restaurants with his friends and lovers, leaving me to beg food off my friends.

I’m really sorry he did that to you. I agree, but you aren’t truly saying a man has to provide always and no matter what. If you hadn’t believed women can provide you wouldn’t have put him through medical school. You were the provider, so you believed in equality at least then.

He decided to betray you, but not because he didn’t want to provide. That was secondary. What he did goes way beyond simply not fulfilling the obligation to provide.

Sure but so does the wife.

Depends on the agreement with his partner.

Well, you're not going to like it but since you are asking.... Just revert roles for a second and think hypothetically, you have a daughter and fast forward... She is going through a divorce and living with you, and her future ex-husband is studying but has no income and he resents that YOU dared to suggest he should work. What would you do then? Would you feel is your responsibility and obligation to support not only your daughter but the future ex? Even you are well off, consider you are old and took you years to work hard and prepare for your old days...why would you feel like you must carry that weight?

Maybe I didn’t explain well. Nobody is supporting me. I don’t live with my inlaws. I live on my own taking care of everything while going to school. Where do you see the “obligation to support not only their daughter but the future ex”?

I am working 4 days a week (Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday) from 05:00 am till 05:30 pm in hospitals providing anesthesia. On Monday I’m in class from 07:00 am to 03:00 pm. I take exams at 07:00 then attend classes. On Sundays, Saturdays and evenings I study for my exams.

When do you think I should work? How? We aren’t allowed to work by schools themselves because it’s incompatible with being able to succeed.

My wife and I agreed I would go to school and she would support me. The separation happened as I was already in school. I’m asking for no support, but I’m not dropping out to pay for her life. I will pay child support once done with school.

Yeah... It may suck for my inlaws. I don’t think I should quit my program full of student loan debts to go back to a job that pays half of what I will make once done. I also don’t feel they should carry that weight. She can support herself without relying on them or myself though. They offered her to go live with them. Their daughter and I had an agreement that I’d go to school to improve our lives. After that agreement we separated. Why should I quit school and support their daughter?

It’s not like I’m sitting on my bottom all day. In my opinion, they are insane to think I should provide in my current situation or that I should quit halfway through school and be broke for life so that their daughter can live off of me. It may not be what they had planned but:
a. She’s not my daughter
b. I wasn’t the one who broke the agreements

Yeah, parents don’t want to be worrying about their children after retirement. Then don’t you think they should tell her to provide for herself, instead of expecting a man to take care of their daughter? She is a functioning adult. I’m still not sure you understood my situation, but if you did, your idea that “the man” is responsible for supporting “the woman” and he should throw his whole life in the trash, in order to provide for another perfectly capable adult is sexist and repugnant.

If it can help further clarify. The law itself protects spouses in school going through divorce, NOT the other way around. If an agreement was made during the marriage, since school is a situation that will improve financial security, usually the spouse not enrolled in school is the one that has to allow the fulfillment of the plan.

I’m not saying that laws are necessarily just, but they usually attempt to be. Your logic is the opposite of what the law says.

I could actually have asked for alimony while in school, but I didn’t want to.

Only while the kids are small & the mom is breastfeeding them. I think for most families though, men have higher incomes & often decent childcare costs as much, or almost as much, as the mom can earn anyway.

Carin Level 8 Oct 19, 2018

some breastfeeding moms work. some moms with nursing-aged kids cannot or will not breastfeed. some women earn more than their husbands. those who make less money often make less not because they do lower-paying work but because women make 70 cents for every dollar earned by a man doing the SAME work. it is actually nobody's business but that of the family in question who should support whom, and i might add that not all support is financial. oh and some families are child-free. a man and wife are a family too.

g

For many families living in the modern world, a single income will not suffice, so responsibility has to be shared. Having said this, most men do feel responsible to ensure that family needs are met, and those who don't tend not to command respect.

Women feel that responsibility to provide too. I don't want to be ''taken care' of or 'provided for'. I can do that very well on my own. AS a family it is joint responsibility

@MsDemeanour If only all men thought like me, and all women thought like you, many of the ailments that afflict society would disappear overnight!

Individuals need to agree on finances before they get married, but I do think a good father will want his kids to be breastfed & be willing to make most of the for the first 2 years of their lives. & if the marriage ends they still need to help support their kids--they are divorcing their kids' mom, not their kids. Myself, I don't think I'd feel comfortable being entirely financially dependent on someone else.

Carin Level 8 Aug 10, 2018
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:150385
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.