Agnostic.com

583 117

Fellow agnostics, how do you feel about believers joining?

This is likely contentious, but it needs to be asked. As this is a site "...promoting universal truths and peaceful life without religion" how do you feel about people of faith joining here?

I'm no shrinking violet and I don't need the sort of safe space that so many people believe they do now, but I also don't want to have to engage with people who have been inculcated into some form of unscientific, simple-minded view of the natural world.

I joined in the belief (cough) that this was an exclusive club where I could escape from these folk - but now I find they are joining - with a view to what, I don't know although my hackles are raised.

Not only is this sort of thing wasteful of resources, but if they are here to try to convert or preach at us, that's likely to result in a dissemination to all-out flame wars in a post or two.

I didn't think this was a site to convert people from one way of thinking to another (that sort of thing is nigh-on impossible by the time we're in our 20s anyway.)

I ask because I'm interested what my fellow angostic/athiests think.

I've noted that "theists" tend to butt in to these conversations with their ignorance and that's what I came here to avoid.

I'm getting too old to argue.

Draco 6 Sep 25

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

583 comments (226 - 250)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Much as I love a good fight, it would like throwing them to the lions

They should have a short leash.

If they are willing to argue the evidence and change their position when shown wrong, they'll soon be non believers too.

If they act like tossers, sound like broken records, or are impervious to reason they need to go.

We are Agnostics and Atheists, Humanists and non believers of all types. But that is like saying we are all Astrologists and want to discuss this with astronomists. We are just not on the same page...not of like basic beliefs. I don't think we have much of a basis for intelligent discussion - science vs magic? facts vs fairy tales? Round world vs flat world! I have tried to get some of my educated but religious friends to discuss this with me. They love me, but veer away from this as if I had bubonic plague. Just not interested. I think it would be a nonachieving argument instead of a real exchange of information and ideas...As the gal on some site I ran across says, "I ain't doin that."

PEGUS Level 5 Jan 13, 2018

Feel the same . I’ll arguments are for fb wasn’t coming here for them

I come here because it is safe from religious harrassment. That makes this site precious and unique. From other agnostic site experience, I know that many religious folks tend to come to nonbeliever sites for unkind reasons. To open THIS site up will make it like every other mixed site on the internet. I honestly would grieve that loss.

If you want to engage believers, PLEASE go to one of the MANY mixed sites out there to do so. This site is the only place some of us can be ourselves, given where we live.

Zster Level 8 Jan 13, 2018

As long as they come to try to understand and not to impress their beliefs onto everyone else, I don't mind. They would have to follow the rules and probably be monitored more tightly so I'd leave that up to those who hold the power to decide if they want to scrutinize everyone that equally and carefully or not.

AmyLF Level 7 Jan 14, 2018

If I understand the theism recipe correctly the must goal is to make us "not a people ". So, their goal, is to cause us to be disgruntled with organizing, trying to find each other, and enjoying our time on the site. I suggest that could appear in difficult to detect ways. Oversight with authority to exclude certain posts and posters a must.

If I remember correctly when I joined the site there was an option for theist or believers when describing your religious position. I think we should welcome anyone on this site as long as they are participating within the site guidelines. If you are not interesting in interacting with believers you don't have to, just ignore them.

I joined this site so that I could have a safe space and find community with like-minded individuals. If Religious people are looking for a place to debate, then they should go someplace else. Or start a site for the purpose of Ecumenical Debate.

Just as they would not tolerate us intruding into "their space" I would not tolerate them coming here looking for a fight.

A strong or hard atheist is a believer. believes that god/gods do not exist. of course as agnostics we know that such things cannot be known. so sure, let everybody in. we'll show them what they don't know. simple really unless you think about it.

Well, my co-workers signed me up here to eliminate having to wade through possible matches on other sites to find a non-believer, so if the search function is improved enough that it can not even put percentages by faces of believers the way they don't for dudes, then sure, but I don't know what they'd want here.

I got a believer asking me questions I suspect were a lead-in to talking about religion on my second post. Like, I literally said that coming out of religion felt like coming out of darkness and they wanted me to defend myself. Theor profile listed them as a believer.

Look, not only am I a new atheist so not up for debate yet, but I live in Texas. If I want to talk to a believer, I can literally go outside, talk to a random person, and find a believer in seconds. I came here to be around non-believers. I think believers here are out for conversion and that, in this environment, is predatory and disrespectful.

I'm not sure if I'm asking for a safe place or just for simple basic respect but, either way, I don't think practicing theists without doubt or skepticism belong on this website.

For the record, Draco, as a Christian, I'm here to learn from you, not convert. I joined because I recently read an article about the discrimination atheists have experienced over the years, which is wrong, considering we're supposedly living in a country valuing freedom of (or from) religion. I realized after reading this article that I probably have said something to offend atheists in the past due to my own ignorance and stupidity and I want to change that. I don't think one needs to be religious to be moral, as one of the most moral people I know is an atheist friend of my husband's. I expect to be met with suspicion here, that's only normal after the crap most of you must abide. People on this board have already given me food for thought and I appreciate it. I believe its very unhealthy if we don't evaluate our beliefs regularly. I feel that if we respect each other, don't try to change each other, and try to understand different points of view without judgement (which I'm sure you've had often enough), we can learn from each other. I don't discuss a lot of my beliefs even with my Xtian friends, either. Some would even call me a heretic! (Besides, I've also been known to enjoy a sacrilegious joke every now and then with the best of them! I'm not afraid to poke fun at myself.) The truth is, believers have been lied to, conned, and brainwashed by religious leaders, even had the Bible changed, re-worded, edited to suit them to manipulate/control us more... How can there NOT be non-believers? But even so, you have a RIGHT to believe or disbelieve whatever you wish without owing anyone any explanations. However, if the administrators think I should go, I'll go graciously, without hard feelings and will still wish you all the best. As you deserve. Peace.

Althought I would think they would not wish to be here simply because we wouldn't be their cup o' tea, to put it gingerly, in all honesty, if we cannot stand up to their arguments, what good are our beliefs (or lack thereof) to begin with?

Sadoi Level 7 Jan 18, 2018

Why would they want join, unless it was to point out the error of our ways. This should be a safe place for us

They haven't bothered me yet. Maybe they want to secretly explore the real world.

From everybody's comments I think the answer most of us could agree to is" as long as you keep it to yourself and don't bring it up in conversation". Now weather or not they could actually do that is a entirely different story.

Although most theists drive me insane, I believe it is wrong to deny them the right to be here. I feel that, as members, if our feathers are so easily ruffled that we cannot be open to honest, logical discourse regarding our beliefs, then clearly we must not put a lot of stock in what we believe. It helps to give you a healthy practice of understanding your belief system and learning how to better defend it. To me, that only serves to make My beliefs even stronger and more steadfast.

Sadoi Level 7 Jan 19, 2018

Just one guy's opinion here Draco, but I think we have to at least listen to 'believers' as there are one heck of a lot of them out there. But yeah - if their goal is to do missionary work or something in attempt to bring us back into the fold, then that is going to be problematic, and quickly.

It's something that I hope not to see here.

They are already on Quora asking annoying questions to atheists trying to troll, they have also hijacked NASA's Facebook comments section, they are really annoying and there must be atleast one forum without them purely for atheists.

I am a new member. It took me a while to actually sign up because I have joined "atheist" groups before to chat and meet new people only to have the groups trolled by "believers" and fake atheists who just ruin the community for everyone. I am also looking for a non-combative place to relax and enjoy the world around me and the people in it. I don't enjoy bashing anyone for their beliefs and I don't expect anyone to bash me. I was a little put off when the sign-up process included the 'spiritual' and 'religious' options but I decided to give it a chance.

I too am too old to argue. I have no patience for religious rhetoric. If someone is taking a tally; I vote no.

As a person who prefers to be inclusive rather than exclusive, I think anyone should be able to access any & all information. That said, tolerance can lead to submission. Let anyone in & the waters get muddy. I fully encourage anyone who is questioning the world in which they live to reach out, be curious, ask questions but for the love of Pete, keep the judgements to yourselves.

as long as they know what they're getting into.

Everyone is entitled to their views....and as we’re all intelligent human beings....some people’s views might give one a slightly different view....I personally don’t believe in god....but I’m always interested in other people’s beliefs and y they believe....

I too have retired from the argumentative life. A good two sided sharing of the facts and a friendly we agree to disagree is fine with me. Anyone is welcome, just be civil, respectful of each other's thinking and don't take themselves to seriously. It does take all kinds to make a world with the emphasis on kind.

I don't claim to be a member of MENSA- but I won't argue with a moron either.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:291
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.