Agnostic.com

583 117

Fellow agnostics, how do you feel about believers joining?

This is likely contentious, but it needs to be asked. As this is a site "...promoting universal truths and peaceful life without religion" how do you feel about people of faith joining here?

I'm no shrinking violet and I don't need the sort of safe space that so many people believe they do now, but I also don't want to have to engage with people who have been inculcated into some form of unscientific, simple-minded view of the natural world.

I joined in the belief (cough) that this was an exclusive club where I could escape from these folk - but now I find they are joining - with a view to what, I don't know although my hackles are raised.

Not only is this sort of thing wasteful of resources, but if they are here to try to convert or preach at us, that's likely to result in a dissemination to all-out flame wars in a post or two.

I didn't think this was a site to convert people from one way of thinking to another (that sort of thing is nigh-on impossible by the time we're in our 20s anyway.)

I ask because I'm interested what my fellow angostic/athiests think.

I've noted that "theists" tend to butt in to these conversations with their ignorance and that's what I came here to avoid.

I'm getting too old to argue.

Draco 6 Sep 25

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

583 comments (501 - 525)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I was a believer for 20 years. I don't mind. I think it's a good idea because then they will learn that god is not real.

Do you honestly believe that? That any come here with the intent of learning anything?

no they won't. i have never seen it happen. what i have seen is believers proselytizing, or asking provocative questions for the purpose of converting us, or even being scammers CLAIMING to be believers and looking for the naive to scam. it is POSSIBLE a believer might have doubts and come here to figure it all out. i haven't seen it yet.

g

Most are very adamant about their beliefs and get very heated and argumentative, I have seen this time and time again in facebook and other areas, while am open to it, I also firmly advise caution.

My being molested by a pastor notwithstanding, I simply do not trust ardent believers. The bottom line of their belief system is proselytizing...the ultimate agenda.

You bet they are 100% UNtrustworthy ....the only xian you can trust is a toddler on his 1st day in Sunday School ask him what lies he learned an hour later and we can undo the damage one nightmare later it may be too late for life

Are you telling me that Ozzy wasted his time writing and singing god is dead for no reason then.... wtf break my non existent heart.

NO, I came to this site to get away from all the religious stuff. I don't care to listen to their reasons for believing as they do. They have plenty of places to go and share their "good news" we don't, so I vote NO.

Thank you for preserving community. ...the only believer I would let in here is one who tells the truth about the bibles quorans gitas and jw tracts. ...if they competently admit religion is wrong and like Thomas Paine only confess DEISM they have a well deserved place in the founding gawdless US CONSTITUTION. ...Paine did not worship nor tell lies for magical thinking ......speaking of our duty to use our watchmaker minds DEISTS reason for heaven on earth not after life unethical rewards nor hell threats

I have to say let them come. I always respond to anything religious that I come across. I am a bastard of a man who will knock them down and kick their stupidity and their dogma while they are down! Bring it on. The only things I won't do is burn them at the stake,(for christians) or chop off their heads (for mo slums)! (Please shy wizard nutters, bring your buybull or other wholly (bullshit) books!)

I am trying to get away from them. it’s like being spyed upon. sucks. They keep trying to force women to serve.

Why would they join such a site? Could only be one reason and that's to try and save souls which would be like giving telemarketers your phone number. I joined here because I am surrounded by them taunting me in this Bible belt and I'm tired of humouring their crazy thoughts. I have been on other sites to meet singles and it takes so much time tinfoil through profiles to make sure that forgone thing I don't bother to talk to any religious women on any level of faith in god's. So this site would be pointless. I feel comfortable that I have at least one of the most important in common things with each other and that is That we think with logic and not just what the Bible says.

perfectly phrased. thank you.

Believe? Are you saying agnostics don't believe?
I joke... hahaha... the admittance of atheism is always funny.

treat each other in the way that peace stays,no need fight over what or what we don't believe

I wouldn't like religious people here. You can always block someone. I just ignore, but I haven't seen religious people only conservatives who I ignore.

I’m mystified as to why they even would join. To understand us better? To subvert? Still, as you mention “unscientific, simple-minded” views of the world, have you noted some of the rampant supernaturalism in our community in the guise of “spirituality?” The lines are not so clearly drawn ...

ps — Never too old to argue!

Well, I would not talk to them, but they may have cool music in their library and maybe good recipes. If they can stand to be ignored completely, let them join.

As long as they are respectful of our lack of belief I’m fine with them

I feel nothing

I feel the same. Personally, I scoffed and rolled my eyes. Butttt unlike the seemingly infinite amount of religion people judge my beliefs and push me away I accept it because ya know, freedom and what not?. I will say though, it does take away from the excitement of an only non religious site.

My whole idea was to get away from having to see anything religious. Good luck with that on a planet where most people believe some type of cooky religion.

How do I feel? I feel tired of Trolls who come here pretending that they are religious/not religious, or something in between. Trolls that sealion our Users into wasting time with bogus questions and arguments...that is how I feel.

Just out of curiosity , how would a religious group feel , about an atheist going into their places of worship and trying to convert them to non-believers . This site is a sanctuary , where we don't have to deal with Jehova's Wittnesses , or Hari Krichners or other religious folks intruding where they are not wanted . We are intelligent adults , who have already given a lot of thought to our beliefs , and are not interested in having your arguments on this topic . Please leave us in peace .

I'm against censorship, but I'd really prefer that theists didn't join this site. Not sure why they'd want to other than to troll non-believers. I won't engage with them here in any kind of productive way.

Deb57 Level 8 Dec 29, 2018

@TheTruthIsTrue If it's an imaginary cliff that only you can see, then yeah, I'd prefer not hearing about it.

@Deb57 That answer is golden!

@TheTruthIsTrue I think she'd like some proof of the cliff's existence before taking your word for it...

@TheTruthIsTrue, I would be annoyed by your insistence that there is a cliff, when I can see that there is not. "Warning" people of danger that you cannot prove exists is not, by any stretch, a noble act.

I generally tend to make an effort to be civil to others, especially on an equal playing field, but as far as I'm concerned, any theist who intrudes upon agnostic/atheist turf is fair game.

Deb57 Level 8 Dec 29, 2018

What if, sometimes, the religious who come to boards like this one are not true believers but individuals who are uncertain themselves as to the iron-clad verity of their chosen superstition? Keep in mind too that most people don't choose their religion, but that it is imposed on them by family and the simple accident of geography. Some believers are simply not so sure as they’d like to pretend.
Years ago I frequented various religion chat rooms and message boards, and yes the places were rotten with my-way-or-the-highway types, full to bursting with their own unshakable confidence, but also there was a reasonable number of ostensible believers who found themselves on the fence and were struggling with the nagging notion that the pap they had been force-fed as toddlers might not be the last word. In anything.
People like that may frequent places non-believers hang out to listen and learn why other rational and intelligent people don’t believe in their mythology. I’ve seen it happen, believers throwing off the yoke of superstition and embracing freethought and rationalism. Certainly not a daily event, but it happens,

Another point, Christians respect nobody’s religion but their own, so whenever they whine about how they ‘need’ us to respect their religion, I find it helpful to remind them that they don’t respect anyone else’s...like that jackass who was killed by the tribe in the Indian Ocean... the only thing he deserves for his trouble is a Darwin award for exiting this world as an imitation-gold plated chump. Respecting other people’s beliefs is simply not in most Christian’s DNA.

The Community Guidelines read: "... Please note that we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Obviously, we want to keep the discussion as open as possible but we have limits. While we do allow members who say they're religious to join, we not allow any religious proselytisation..."

I think this is a reasonable charter which, to me, implies it hasn't needed modification since this inception.

Time to remove liar @TheTruthIsTrue goading us Atheists with his xian shit

I am against it. I'm here to deal with people who don't believe in fairy tales.

You are the only alleged deity we need in here

I'm against it too. The religious have many forums online, in public, in their places of worship, and in government where they can speak without anyone harassing them the way they harass us. I've come to this site so I can be free of anyone trying to convert me or threatening me with hell, or just rehashing the same ol' tired arguments. I think of this as a sanctuary from that. Let us have this one place at least.

Thank you for speaking my language. 👍😃

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:291
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.