Agnostic.com

67 20

Who avoids discussing religion and spirituality?

I don't debate or argue about higher powers or things like that anymore. I don't believe in any of it personally, I just avoid people who do as much as I can. Occasionally some dummy I'm stuck with at work will start talking about god and I just have to roll my eyes and start treating them like a child. It's not entirely avoidable unfortunately..

Anyone else here who's "apatheistic" at this point and just doesn't care?

Also hi.

JordanKay 4 Apr 8

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

67 comments (26 - 50)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

As an atheist since 13, I never discuss religion. It's like opening a Pandora's box.

I chose rational thought, not magical beliefs.

I find the discussion to be pointless, so I don't get involved.

I don't necessarily try to avoid it, but it typically doesn't come up much in my day to day life. When I was a believer, I personally thought it would be pointless to engage in conversation about it with nonbelievers. Now that I don't believe, I think it's typically even more pointless from this side to ever try to engage the other side.

Me I guess. It's not worth it. There is no debate. I don't need to prove anything.

I don't debate or argue about higher powers either. I work with people and I don't come across that, but every now and then some customer shoots a "God bless you" and I just ignore it because I believe they just mean good .

I love rehashing this shit. But I avoid doing it to considerate people who have not tried to steamroll over me with assumptions that everyone present must agree with their paradigm.

I avoid talking about religion with believers because I believe religion is contradictory and hypocritical, and the hereafter is to pacify those who fear death and are comforted by the thought of living in “heaven” instead of fertilizing the ground. I do believe the energy within every living thing never dies. I hope it will be enjoyable, but nobody has ever told me, from “beyond,” what to expect. So I hope.

I do not avoid it, I often welcome it. That might be because I live in a mainly secular society or because I am an argumentative kind of person.
To be fair my few Christians friends are Christian-light. They do not preach and only when the occasional remark like "It`s gods will" impels me to pounce, will the subject be broached.
Occasionally one hapless person down the pub might try but they get short shrift from me. Arguments that have been garnered from here and my own research plus wit, make them sorry they opened their mouths about it. Admittedly the surrounding culture provides an appreciative audience. I am not sure that my logic would get alow me to leave unscathed in a bible-belt bar.

Where is this idyllic, peaceful place you live? I'm thinking of moving out of the bible belt. Do you have a couch? 😉

@OldWiseAss South Liverpool and yes I do have a sofa.

I avoid discussing that stuff with my families

I can agree with your every word. One of my long time friends that I met around age 12 or 13 remains religious and recently he was talking to me on how he is so comforted by reading in Daniel about the fiery furnace and those inside unhurt and untouched. I'm thinking it is time for that eye roll again. My mind asks how would anyone ever take this as being real in any way. I suppose it represents his belief that Jesus protects him. Again, my mind asks "in what way, and protection from what?" (Yes, friends. I attribute my well being to a doodilly do, or you can call it whatever you want to.)

Meanwhile in FB again I find that Jesus and the Devil are arm wrestling and the ones that post it claim only true believers will re-post this on their page. Many of us forget that Jesus will do something for you but only after he gets enough likes and thumbs up. I think I was born into the wrong world but I do remember being one of these years ago.

Even this site has some idiots who are spiritualists, buddhists and hindus. These quacks think that their bullsit is not bullshit. But to answer your question, I personally am not apathetic when it comes to defending my lack of belief with anybody who questions it. Not many do because my advantage is I have read, and many times, all the "sacred" books from most religions and use the really idiotic content in all of them to show them how wrong they are, most of these zealots are usually dumb or have never read their own books with critical eyes, so it's easy to own them.

Hi. I would loosely classify myself as a "buddhist", not a "Buddhist" and I differentiate between the two. As the former I consider the basic teachings of the Buddha as fundamentally sound - the absence of an afterlife, that suffering starts with attachment, that nothing is fixed or permanent, that speculation on the origin of the universe is irrelevant to living well, that all living things are worthy of respect etc. What the latter do is dump a load of ritual and largely Hindu beliefs on top of this and make it into a religion with orthodoxy and dogma.

@Gareth it's bullshit!

@Mofo1953 What is? The absence of an afterlife? Treating life with respect? Impermanence? The origin of suffering? Assertions are no substitute for intelligent debate.

@Gareth all of it.

@Mofo1953 So you believe in an afterlife, that permanence exists, that suffering does not begin with attachment and that not all life is worthy of respect? Good, I know what to do with your profile now.

A lot of the time I assess people as closed to meaningful discussion and act accordingly. Once in a blue moon I’ll find someone I respect enough to ask what they think, or to be intrigued about a different view.

I wouldn't say I avoid it, but it's definitely not a hobby. I don't find it especially fun or interesting to rehash the same, tired topics over and over. But if someone really wants to talk about religion and can remain civil, I'm fine discussing my views.

It depends on the situation.

My family and most of my friends are Christian, so i don't discuss it. I don't try to convert or convince, ignorance is bliss - why should I attempt to take away their bliss?

gater Level 7 Apr 8, 2020

I just point out the biblical versions of stories versus reality (archecologicl records) and versus previous stories from other religions and cultures and their similarities to biblical stories and that they predate biblical stories.

The earliest biblical character that has been confirmed was David. However he wasn't actually a great king, but rather a very minor war lord.

Not me! How people organize and use symbolic ideas and collective power interests me.

When it comes to discussing religion and politics, I first ask "Is there any chance that what I have to say might change your mind?". If they say no then I see no reason to continue as I sincerely doubt they might change mine. If someone ask where I stand on religion and politics, I will gladly state my case, but it is not up for discussion. Perhaps it is closed mindedness but it is what it is.

I don't avoid it. I just hever have any interest in doing it, unless someone starts trying to force their beliefs on me.

It depends. If I like the religious person in question, I find that they usually don't bring up religous stuff. I find only arrogant people bring up religious stuff.

I don't exactly avoid it, but it rarely comes up.

i do here so much wining about boo hoo hoo other ppl argue with me I smile and listen and say that is possible and then I go about my business

I don't normally discuss religion or spirituality because they either agree with me and then there's nothing to discuss or they're not worth wasting time on. The problem occurs when I start to think that about everything. 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

The point is that one CAN change minds. Not that I have any concrete evidence because it is a long possibly painful process.

The technique is not debate because that takes sides and we want everyone to be on the same side i.e of Humanity.It does take courage however. Good humored discussion as found on this site is the way forward from the unknown through science to the more secure. Spirituality is all about the unknown but its secrets will be revealed through science in time and it is not worth bothering about until then

It depends on my mood, and oh, I am a moody one!

Sometimes discussing religion sounds SO tedious! Other times, though, it sounds like a rollicking good time.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:481751
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.