Agnostic.com

26 13

Are you playing a musical instrument while stuck at home?

Today I was feeling despair over being stuck-at-home. Tired of jigsaw puzzles, reading, sewing masks, cooking and watching Netflix.

Thank goodness I'm hiking tomorrow! But today....

Started playing flute again. Glad I still have a vibrato. Haven't played in three years. Began flute lessons at age eight.

Playing music grounds me and provides emotional expression. Love music in a minor key: it's more expressive and beautifully aching, compared to bright and cheery marches (major key). Played jazz at the University of Michigan.

Got a metronome because I was not sticking to the beat. Jazz solos will do that to you. (That's my excuse.) Seeing a video of me playing, I felt horrified. Other people didn't notice it. Enter the nagging metronome. Feels like a conductor is slashing his baton with every beat.

Taped to the music stand are tips from when I taught flute lessons in college:

1. Egg on tongue.
  2. Blow warm air.
  3. Big belly.
  4. Raise chin to taper notes.
  5. Teeth apart.
  6. Blow warm air like steaming up glass.

Anyone else playing a musical instrument? How does it help you?

LiterateHiker 9 Apr 27

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

26 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I’ve got a few that I like to play

So have I. The only problem is which one to choose.

It's a sickness!

Been playing ukulele and guitar. Sounds something like this:

For guitar:

Terrific! Keep it up.

How sweet to come upon this thread when I rarely visit the site. And I'm a professional jazz flutist. Looking forward to listening to all the tracks here that others have posted, and to invite you all to visit my YouTube page. I recently lost my website but the YouTube channel has a nice sampling from my CDs and shows my range from r&b with Bobby Harden to free with Connie Crothers. Also I was invited to do a webcast with guitarist Ron Jackson at on Sunday, May 10 at 9pm. I don't have the details but when I do I'll post them here. Or you can email me at janleder@aol.com.

@dobbslady

Wonderful flute playing! Found you on Youtube.

@LiterateHiker How nice of you to post that here, thanks!

@dobbslady

You are welcome, dear.

I play some guitar every day.... had to cancel several gigs and the band is waiting till this madness is over enough to play again...we are booked for July 24 but I am skeptical

blzjz Level 7 Apr 27, 2020

I play a little guitar most days, usually half a dozen songs. I might even sing too. 🎸

Wish i was musically inclined but did not receive that gift in ,I am pretty good at playing the radio though If i put a tune in a briefcase and tried to carry the handle would fall off,,me bad lol

I'm playing a really old musical instrument called a record player. I flip a switch and it starts to spin and then I put a black disc on it and move this arm thingy onto the disc. Then it blasts out songs like "the immigrant song" and "the gallows pole" and I deafen everyone in my neighbourhood, but noone complains 😂😂😂

Not only am I playing an instrument, I'm recording videos for You Tube. Here's the latest.

No, not really but sometimes, after a good and spicy home-cooked meal I tend to think my bum is trying to emulate the wind section of an orchestra at times....LOL.
And as an adjunct, after I've cooked and eaten dinner tonight I reckon the "Orificial Orchestra" will be playing many a symphonic harmony during the wee small hours of the night...LOL.

I could dust off my trumpet, but I have been doing more singing than anything else. 🙂

As an ex-death metal vocalist, practicing my "instrument" in a domestic setting may relax me, but it causes consternation amongst the other household members.
And the neighbours.
Including ones several blocks away.
Then the police are called.

I cannot stand loud neighbors. Sound travels out and up.

I have been using the time to build a website for a business I am starting. That has been taking so much time that I haven’t been spending any time with my music. Ironic.

Love the flute in minor key.

Haven't brought out any instruments yet.

While looking for a spare monitor (giving away spare computers to students) I did run across bagpipes but don't think I'll fire that beast up.
Still working (on-line) - for another week and a half - but our school plans to then harvest the Chromebooks we sent home next week so students don't leave the state with them (most of our students are from out of town or out of state). On my own I am updating old computers (purchased years ago at state surplus to give away to my students so a little busy now.

If (big if) I finish a long list of projects, may fire up the bassoon, saxophone, (maybe tune the piano and have some fun with the keys).

I once found great pleasure in playing in a band, orchestra, or alone, those instruments.

Musical chairs by myself.

now that i can do

Alas i only play my ipod and Sirius radio. No musical talent in my body 😥

What I got in storage?  Keyboard, Electric Piano, Acoustic Guitar, Bongos, Guiro, Maracas, Clave, Cowbell, Wind Controller, Microphones... Congas at my sister... PATHETIC from my Part. I haven't Finished a Song in a while. FUCKING PATHETIC!!!  I SHOULD AT LEAST BE DRAWING AND PAINTING!!! Damned it. I have to mention I am in my daughter home.... full of musical instruments... guitars, bass, keyboard, mandolin, mixers, microphones... but I am a Lefthanded Excuse. 

Guitar. Helped me a lot. Today I couldn't find time though but it's only a day...

It’s been 50 Years since I played the clarinet.

Come on keep this discussion clean.

@nicknotes

The fact that I got your joke shows my mind slides into the gutter, too.

I've been reading your posts for over a year...I knew you would hop right on my comment......@LiterateHiker

I totally get the stuck-at-home blues, but it's fantastic that you've rediscovered the joy of music during these times. Music has this magical way of grounding us and giving voice to our emotions. As for me, I've been strumming my beloved Irish bouzouki, and let me tell you, it's been my little oasis of serenity!
But hey, guess what? I happened to spot a bouzouki for sale online. I know it's not a flute, but if you ever want to add some Celtic flair to your musical repertoire, you might want to check it out! Just imagine the sweet melodies you could create with your flute skills and the unique sounds of the bouzouki blending together.

Can you do the Ian Anderson fwee? Alas I wish I was stuck at home with my instruments but I do work at a profession where working remote is a possiblility. Unfortunately I have been homeless since July of last year and unemployed for even longer. Sigh.

Not really playing anything but I do play the harmonica. Got pretty good on it and I do some Dylan stuff, Beatles "Love Me Do", and "Moon River", etc. These days i am out of practice.

I am attempting to finish a collection of music works titled "My Possessions Have The Upper Hand".....

jasen Level 8 Apr 27, 2020

Yes... guitar... classic metal. Iron Maiden and more Iron Maiden. And vast quantities of cheap beer.

palex Level 6 Apr 27, 2020

I wish I could play an instrument but so far I have been to lazy to stick to anything. All that practice is getting in the way of living. Perhaps when I retire................

You could always Start.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:489883
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.