Agnostic.com
9 4

So I’m backing off of posting much more here. This group and certainly ones unrelated to religion/atheism have mostly been fine. But the whole idea of seeking out a community where people are more like me on that continuum seems like a mistake to me now. The tendency for the community to enforce a conformity of thought on the membership and to push the religious away Is persistent.

There are probably places in the US especially where the non religious feel hemmed in and unwelcome, but I don’t have that excuse. My experience hanging around atheist and agnostic forums is that there is as much stupidity, rudeness and narrow mindedness among we secular as on the other side. So I’m going to be emphasizing RL as soon as it is safe to go out more again and sites which are religiously unaligned.

Nice interacting with lots of you. Maybe I’ll see you around.

MarkWD 7 Aug 16
You must be a member of this group before commenting. Join Group

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

9 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

That is kind of one interesting thing about atheists, no real set form of beliefs outisde of doesn't believe in God. And yes like everywhere else, there are most definitely jerks in the group. Find the grouos you feel most comfortable in and post there and leave the rest out. There's only so many hours in the day...

Every community requires its participants to implement filtration. Even in one's own family such filtration is necessary and often automatically applied. I don't know why anyone would expect this group of people to be somehow above it.

Shawno1972 Level 7 Aug 21, 2020

Information: IRL = in real life, so RL = real life. You're welcome 😉 😛

Atheist, Agnostic people here are just like people in the society. They have anger, narrow views of issues and other personality traits. People will get offended instead of disagreeing, they may block you and call you names but just like in real life you need to stand your ground. I did not expect this to be a bed of roses.

I hope you will change your decision and stay in. We need free thinking and differently thinking members to continue good, open discussions on all issues, not just politics and religion. It only contributes to making it a lively and vibrant community.

My experience has been largely very good. I have talked to and met wonderful members and have only good things to say. But there are also members who I have not talked to or met who prefer to begin blaming, blocking but that behavior is on them. Each has to decide who he or she wants to be. I for one, like to stay in, stand my ground on matters I think I have valid views while being open to views of others.

St-Sinner Level 9 Aug 17, 2020

Still, one doesn't have to participate in or even read the negative items. I often filter what I read as here, in our archipelago, this sort of vitriol is uncommon. There are plenty of other groups on can join to use the site as a way to learn and participate in a more pleasant way. Your posting exactly expressed an op-ed I just posted.

JackPedigo Level 9 Aug 17, 2020

R.L.? Why bemoan leaving? Why did it "seem like a miistake"? Where did you assume a "tendency for the community to enforce a conformity of thought" ?

Robecology Level 9 Aug 17, 2020

That's a pity. I have to agree with your observations. I've enjoyed our occassional exchange of thoughts & posts.

FrayedBear Level 9 Aug 17, 2020

i don't know what RL is , but good luck. if this group isn't a fit, don't force it

TheDoubter Level 9 Aug 17, 2020

People are people. As far as I am concerned we are all idiots just trying to swim our way through this crazy world the best we can. Good luck out there.

MrChange Level 7 Aug 16, 2020

A good attitude to have.

Write Comment

Recent Visitors 73

Photos 164 More

Posted by UnitySomeday my princess will appear before me. ❤️

Posted by AtheistPeace666Hello I'm a single Canuck looking for my special lady Canuck.

Posted by KhaCRYou ever feel like you found the perfect sexual partner then he turns out to be a complete 💩bag and you can’t find the satisfaction in other encounters?

Posted by EntheogenFanI have a story to tell.

Posted by EntheogenFanI have a story to tell.

Posted by KateOahuYes, I agree that the reverse is also true.

Posted by JolantaThis is what women have to put up with and then they want to be intimate while we are still angry because they will not do their share of housework.

Posted by JolantaDucky, Snookums....

Posted by SorchaThis is a guy I was talking to from okcupid. He is totally new to online dating and it shows.

Posted by JolantaThat’s Amore. Some women are just far too shallow.

Posted by JolantaSomething for real intimacy perhaps.

Posted by Green_Soldier71Has anyone here had any experience with (or known someone who has/had) a SEXLESS MARRIAGE/RELATIONSHIP or a FRIGID PARTNER?

Posted by EyesThatSmileNakedness.

Posted by LetzGetRealMy family has often commented how I should become a "cougar"... as I look pretty good at my age and have a younger mindset than some of my peers, I guess this is there rationale?

Posted by Ann-1980The 4 types of Intimacy to feel sufficient, satisfied & healing in a love relationship.

Posted by Philip21over the top thinking? [agnostic.com]

• Top tags#relationship #sex #intimacy #video #friends #religious #hope #religion #world #god #children #wife #marriage #book #kids #advice #death #reason #agnostic #beliefs #Atheist #hell #money #society #movies #fear #hello #Present #parents #belief #loves #Song #community #lonely #books #divorce #culture #humans #dogs #sleep #chemistry #Christian #college #soul #animals #sexy #philosophy #holiday #DonaldTrump #sexuality ...

Members 1,849Top