Agnostic.com
8 8

Here's a summary version of what Dan Savage has been saying for years about building and maintaining a strong relationship.

resserts 8 Aug 26
You must be a member of this group before commenting. Join Group

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

8 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

loved the ending

RoyMillar Level 9 Aug 26, 2020

I did counseling with my ex husband twice. One of the counselors said look at what's working and start there. I divorced him finally because I wasn't willing to play second fiddle to his xian hymnal website. He's still with her. When I was first single I was amazed at the number of men that just wanted a woman, and many of them seemed to want a mama for the minor children. Hard no. Definitely not worth the price of admission. I need someone that I actually have things in common with. The guy I dated that had not read a book since HS was also a hard no. Someone who does nothing aside from working and watching TV is a hard no, and of course any conservative xian is a don't even go there. I'm in the northern suburbs of the buy bull belt, I will be single for the rest of my life.

Nope, there are definitely times when the price of admission is too high. But there is always the chance there are men in your area who are in a similar situation as you are; it's unlikely you're the only rational person in your region, even if the odds are a little slimmer where you are. I live in avery conservative, very rural area, but I still manage to find some more left-leaning, non-religious folks here, including my girlfriend. Don't resign yourself to a life of solitude unless that's what you want.

@resserts I am active with Omaha Humanists so I have met many of the Humanists in the area. Of course right now with COVID we meet online only and we're not getting many new folks. I'm not too worried about it, I'm busy enough being single, something would have to shift for me to make time for a relationship and I don't know what I"m willing to give up or delay.

@HippieChick58 I suppose — once in-person interaction is a thing people do again — that it could be less a serious relationship with significant time investment and more the occasional dinner-and-a-movie out or Netflix-and-chill at home. But being single is its own reward, too. 🙂

Like many others, I've tried . I gave up . It wasn't worth the price of admission .

Cast1es Level 9 Aug 26, 2020

Sometimes that's how it goes. I was content being single for a long time, but now I'm in a relationship that feels satisfying. And the price of admission doesn't feel too expensive.

I followed Dan Savage when he was a culturally a pervert. He wrote for the Chicago Reader. He was/is so reasonable that he is now an accepted advisor on behavior & sexual issues. Long before Dr. Drew & Adam Carolla had their radio show, Dan was advising folks who had no where to go for answers concerning their raging hormones & how to avoid dangerous choices that for some last a shortened lifetime. Thank you Dan Savage.

Mooolah Level 8 Aug 26, 2020

I've always enjoyed Dan Savage and his wit and reasonableness. His judgement is typically sound and, when the topic extends beyond opinion or his personal experience, he goes out of his way to call on experts to help provide appropriate advice. I appreciate that sort of humility.

Well there go my chances. =0}

Mooolah Level 8 Aug 26, 2020

You'll just need to find that 0.64. 😜

Dan Savage was once a speaker at an FFRF national convention. He was great. Thanks for the post.

JackPedigo Level 9 Aug 26, 2020

He's softened his anti-religion stance in recent years and since his mother's death I've heard him refer to himself as "culturally Catholic." I haven't heard him say much about it in the last couple of years, though, so I don't know exactly where he stands on the topic now.

@resserts There are also 'cultural Jews' who don't follow the religion but their heritage. It is considered one of the largest organized secular group in the world.

@JackPedigo I think that may be where Dan Savage got the term from. I don't have a real problem with it, except that he used to be an outspoken proponent of the nonreligious and now he claims religion, albeit culturally when pressed on the details. It was nice to have him more in our corner, when he was overtly critical of the Church — but I get that times change and positions mellow. I'm at a level of DGAF about what other people believe (or don't) that I wouldn't have thought I'd be capable of when I was 25 years old — but my actual position on religion and deities and metaphysics and other unscientific claims hasn't significantly changed over the years.

@resserts Mine have, though and they continue to do so albeit in small steps. To me life is about change.

@JackPedigo I guess I mean the difference between nuances in my positions versus major shifts. E.g., I don't anticipate having another major shift like I had when I dumped Catholicism, Christianity, and theism, but over the last 20 years, especially early on, I moved away from "hopeful agnostic" to "negative atheist." That's a more subtle change, of course, and as things stand now it feels natural and reasonable and I don't know what might move me from that perspective. But it's possible that new understandings in quantum mechanics or cosmology or conscious states could move my needle slightly one way or another, at least fine-tuning my viewpoint. I don't obsess over it anymore, though, as I'm comfortable with where I've landed and, though I remain open to new perspectives, I've found no argument that has swayed me significantly from the position I've held for 15+ years now. I don't feel the need any longer to mentally rehash it continuously. And, with time, I increasingly feel like there are more important things to focus on: family, friends, community. If it turns out I'm wrong about some aspect of reality's underlying nature, so be it; my life and priorities are focused elsewhere and I feel that I'm better off for that divergence.

@resserts Thank you for sharing. It does bring home a point for me in that life is all about change an some, as yourself, recognize this and are open to it. For some, as myself, it continues to change often in leaps and bounds. So many major changes in my life were, in the past, really stressful. Now I try to just sit back and enjoy the view. My life experiences exacerbated an issue with the next youngest brother. His life has been the typical American life - go to school (with help from our dad), get a career (very successful architect with a thriving business of his own in a major city), get married, buy a large house, have a couple of kids and do a little traveling. That's it. He did drop religion but his wife is very religious so they don't talk of religion in the house. His and my views of the world are very different and it often puts us at odds. Still, his my only sibling that takes time to communicate with me. I have seen one's view of the world can be basically summed up as in one's geography and experiences.

I listen to the Dan Savage podcast. All of his advice is for people who are having sex. Nobody ever asks him the question: "how can I become one of those people?"

BitFlipper Level 8 Aug 26, 2020

Why would they? You wouldn't teach students in sex ed how to get sex. You'd teach them safe sex practices and about contraceptive use and options for unwanted pregnancies and std stis and testing available. Your question would not be pertinent in either setting.

You could always write in and ask what he suggests, giving him a few details of your situation. But I think his focus is on the dynamics within a relationship, not on how to hook up.

@demifeministgal, @resserts His podcast covers a wide range of topics regarding sexuality, but it seems to make the assumption that everyone who wants to participate is welcome to participate. I can see why it might be a turn-off topic for most listeners. Or maybe it never occurred to him that there are some people with no magnetism.

He accepts questions via email - I'm going to submit my question.

that is a very good way of putting it. He's not in the match making business or in the business of helping people hookup. Consult a matchmaker to help with your issue if you can afford it.

Common sense. I'm still annoyed with Savage. He ran a column in a local paper decades ago. I had written in and he, or the paper edited it, essentially removing my smart ass humor.

Yeah, I do think it's largely common sense, but it seems many people don't apply it to their personal lives. And the fact that people can be so specific and articulate regarding what annoys them about their partner but can't speak nearly so well on what they love about their partner is something I never thought about, though it makes sense. But it's worth reminding ourselves of that, I suppose, to reinforce that we tend to give too much weight to the things that bother us but far too little to the benefits.

As for removing your smartass humor, you might have been upstaging Dan. They can't have that! 😉

@resserts I also think that if the little things are starting to bother you, it is a sign that you might need to look at the bigger things. The little ones may be providing distractions about what is really bothering you.

Write Comment

Recent Visitors 59

Photos 164 More

Posted by UnitySomeday my princess will appear before me. ❤️

Posted by AtheistPeace666Hello I'm a single Canuck looking for my special lady Canuck.

Posted by KhaCRYou ever feel like you found the perfect sexual partner then he turns out to be a complete 💩bag and you can’t find the satisfaction in other encounters?

Posted by EntheogenFanI have a story to tell.

Posted by EntheogenFanI have a story to tell.

Posted by KateOahuYes, I agree that the reverse is also true.

Posted by JolantaThis is what women have to put up with and then they want to be intimate while we are still angry because they will not do their share of housework.

Posted by JolantaDucky, Snookums....

Posted by SorchaThis is a guy I was talking to from okcupid. He is totally new to online dating and it shows.

Posted by JolantaThat’s Amore. Some women are just far too shallow.

Posted by JolantaSomething for real intimacy perhaps.

Posted by Green_Soldier71Has anyone here had any experience with (or known someone who has/had) a SEXLESS MARRIAGE/RELATIONSHIP or a FRIGID PARTNER?

Posted by EyesThatSmileNakedness.

Posted by LetzGetRealMy family has often commented how I should become a "cougar"... as I look pretty good at my age and have a younger mindset than some of my peers, I guess this is there rationale?

Posted by Ann-1980The 4 types of Intimacy to feel sufficient, satisfied & healing in a love relationship.

Posted by Philip21over the top thinking? [agnostic.com]

• Top tags#relationship #sex #intimacy #video #friends #religious #hope #religion #world #god #children #wife #marriage #book #kids #advice #death #reason #agnostic #beliefs #Atheist #hell #money #society #movies #fear #hello #Present #parents #belief #loves #Song #community #lonely #books #divorce #culture #humans #dogs #sleep #chemistry #Christian #college #soul #animals #sexy #philosophy #holiday #DonaldTrump #sexuality ...

Members 1,849Top