Agnostic.com

20 2

LINK Gay people should not join Catholic clergy, Pope Francis says | World news | The Guardian

Over the past year I've had more than one run in here with residue Catholics who are adamant that Pope Frank is serious about changing the church on gays, non believers and alike. Well, time to face it: he's not changing anything.

So, all those same sex attracted Catholic leaning people, who, Frank says are so because it's fashionable to be gay, now know that the church isn't for them.

Who'd have thought? :-<

Seems Frank has worked out that the 'stringing them along' phase of his Papacy has out worn it's effectiveness.

Even the mainstream media are over it.

Good.

David1955 8 Dec 2

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

20 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

If all the gays left the clergy … who would be running the show?

They only admitted that the sky doesn't have a dome over it that separates the heavens from the firmament about 400 years ago. Some in their congregations still can't accept it. It will take at least 3 progressive Popes in a row to change that much history. I wish I could get the LGBTQ community to show up at my church. So far none of my FB ad campaigns have worked at all. They don't need to attend Catholic Church, many others would love to have them. Want to change Catholic Churches? Don't go.

What keeps them is the identity and ritual of being Catholic. The beliefs are secondary. The sins of this church can be rationalized away. What you can't offer them, I can only speculate, is enough identity and ritual. That's the truth of religion it seems to be.

@David1955 I agree, The identity thing is a big deal. Most people pay little attention to dogma anymore anyway with some obvious unfortunate exceptions. I'm adding some ritual based on tradition, but its hard to compete with fancy chalices etc. Community service is another area which is easier with size as well.

I was raised a Roman Catholic from birth so I had a front row seat for the theater of the absurd that is religion. I attended church twice a week and was an altar boy for three years. The thing is; in all that time, no priest ever molested me despite pedophilia being rife in the church.

I've never known for sure if this meant I was lucky or I just wasn't sexually appealing.

My story was similar. I did serve only as an alter boy once, at my brother's ordination to the priesthood, but that's another story. At 12 you just do what you have to. I didn't see any molestation either, and it's fair enough to say that not all priests were molesters. But the culture of this outfit is horrid. It's based on nonsense beliefs. The authority of the clergy is based on nothing. Back in the day they had an authority they didn't deserve, and this false authority was used to abuse young people. This false authority continues today, all the way up to this blabby Pope. It's got to end.

Not gay but still accept pedofile clergy, that violate childrens?

Gay people should not join the catholic clergy is absolutely correct, but is not the whole truth. The correct statement is that “people should not join the Catholic Church.

Hardly shocking is it

mxelh Level 2 Jan 1, 2019

I have read things that have said at least 40% of priests are gay. So, I would love to see that organization, cult, after that actually transpired.

I recall a scene from that ambiguous TV series The Young Pope.

The Young Pope says to his Cardinal Consigliere, "Cardinal, we must get of all gays at the Vatican."

The Cardinal has a look of aghast on his face. "But Holy Father, should we not be more... cautious in our approach?," he stutters, in full recognition of what this would mean. There'd be no one left! he thinks.

"No, no," the Pope presses, "they must go."

His Consigliere walks away, wondering how the hell to fix this.

Drama, but about on the money.

@ASTRALMAX

I wonder why anybody would want to join any religious organization, especially, if that organization's official position is one of disapproval with regard to an individual's sexual practices.

They're still okay with pedophiles though, right?

JimG Level 8 Dec 28, 2018

Required?

Did the catholic church profess "Hate the sin, Love the sinner?" The message now would appear to be "Hate Both" "Tolerate Neither"

I strongly agree. Gay people should not join any clergy, Catholic or otherwise. I spend time wondering why gay people (or any people) want to join any clergy or join any church. It baffles me.

That always confused me as well. I know many gay people and they go to church. How they attend a place where so many people abhor them is beyond me. Even if they made their own church they'd have to get rid of all the anti gay rhetoric in their religion ?

@gueronihilista Same as women still do.

Before I left the dark side , I considered becoming an catholic. SInce, they seem to be more accepting of gay people. I guess all christain sects are same about accepting gay people. They say god loves all his children is another lie they tell to get people to join a church. How disscraceful and hateful.

Problem is that the clergy, because of the rule of celibacy, specifically attracts men whose sexual inclinations are not accepted by the church. If you can’t marry a woman and make a bunch of Catholic babies (because you’re gay), and you can’t live as an openly gay man (because of the church) you join the clergy.

Considering that everyone knows that the RCC has high numbers of priests who are same sex attracted, even if non active, it makes the Pope's statement even more ludicrous. Since by implication the Pope's statement suggests that heterosexual but non sexually active priests are acceptable, it follows that his view is that there is something wrong with gay men for no other reason than their sexual orientation. Unless of course the Pope's view is that only males with no sexual orientation at all are acceptable, in which case he needs to do some serious reading about human sexuality. The logic is quite clear here.

@David1955 yep. It’s bad enough for the church to tell people that they can be gay as long as they don’t ACT on being gay. Now even that is not allowed.
And yeah limiting the clergy to asexual Catholic men is going to leave them pretty short handed pretty quickly. But as far as I’m concerned let them define themselves right out of existence.

Why did he not say that pedophiles should not join the clergy?

Actually, if you deconstruct this nonsense, the logic is that homosexuals are not suitable as clergy because they are not "respectable" and something is wrong with them, and maybe they will mollest children, which is ridiculous, and ignores the huge number of children of both sexes that are victims of clergy. From my experiences raised as a Catholic a lot of priests are really gay, but that didn't mean they were child abusers. What the pope should say is, they shouldn't have celibacy in the priesthood, and attract low caliber people, whatever their sexual orientation, who are frustrated and have power over young people.

@David1955 I've seen a few accounts that up to half of Catholic clergy are actually gay. But let's put this to the side for now. The Pope proffer that we are all sinners and all sins deserve death, blah ,blah , blah. In this case he is suggesting that some sins are worse than others so much that people can not be an active part of leadership in the Church. That is rather profound. If all sins fall short of the glory of God and lead to death how could one sin be any worse than the other? It is all nonsense.

@DavidLaDeau Yes. All sins are equal, but some sins are more equal than others.

Catholics are pedophiles point blank period

@David1955 Wow! Could not have said it better!

@Blakadow That is simply untrue, and a harmful thing to say.

@DavidLaDeau YOU...ARE NOT...MAKING....ANY FUQIN SENSE....AT ALL!!!!!! At 1st u said could not have said it better is ur sarcastic saint suit on Satan doesn't look so good on u, u could do better than that. LIES!!!!.....B4 THA DAMN TRUTH. name me another religion that uses angels (cherubs) that looks like a lil boy with wings? I'll wait to save my breath. almost every Catholic Priest is accused for sex abuse scandal on tha Telly some jus haven't been caught...yet. untrue and harmful thing to say?.... again tha beginning tha very first thing I've said in this comment contradicting can't have it both ways

@Blakadow If you look I was responding to @David1955 When I commented "Wow! Could not have said it better!" If there has ever been just one Catholic that was not a pedophile you are wrong and owe Catholics an apology for your blanket statement.

@DavidLaDeau Quite Right. The Catholic Church can rightfully be condemned, historically, theologically, and organizationally, but gross generalizations about Catholics, or even all priests, serve no useful purpose. The purpose of this post was to point out the hypocrisy and absurdity of the Pope's statement with respect to homosexuals.

@DavidLaDeau HELL FUQIN NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO-UUHHHHHHH!!! I won't owe ya'll a muthafuqin thing but on the flip 22 side yeah not ALL Catholics are pedophiles however they're secretive sexual abuses going on today but they haven't been caught yet what is done in the dark will always come into the light Bible words not mine believe that shyt. ur damage is?

@DavidLaDeau do a damn google search for a boy got molested a the altar by a month ago by Catholic Priest I'm done b4 I bash ur holy cross into skull in ur sweet dreams tonite

"Gay people should not join Catholic clergy."

Straight people neither if you ask me! 😛

A world bishops meeting, last month, released a statement that said other denominations accept gays (and other LGBTQ) and they should go to those churches instead. Just point blank homophobic. They still demand that it's a curable disease.

Or "fashionable". This Pope can mutter all he likes about "not judging" and acceptance of nonbelievers and alike, but it is the official policies of the church and not his ramblings in interviews that really count. I just wish kitchen Catholics would understand this.

"Gay people should not join Catholic clergy" I mean, I would agree with that, just for different reasons (it's a hostile environment and a kooky religion).

Well, yes, but the Pope's logic is wierd anyhow. A Catholic priest is supposed to be celibate. So, if a priest had homsexual leanings, but remained celibate, then wouldn't that be a "good" thing from his perspective? It's all so crazy. Dig into this and it's the same antiquated moralistic Christian rejection of human diversity and sexuality, typical of an outfit on the wrong side of history but not yet dead.

FFS, who is Wanky Franky trying to kid here?
Homosexuality, both Gay and Lesbianism has been RIFE throughout the history of the Churches, Catholic and ALL the rest, just as RIFE as has been Institutionalised Child Abuse.
And here we have some bloke who goes around dressed in gowns ( dresses that any transvestite would give their eye-teeth to have, no offence to transvestites btw), has to sit on a seat with an open base over a glass sheet in the floor to PROVE that he actually has MALE genitalia before he becomes the NEW 'Elected' Descendant of St. Peter and Pontifex Maximimus.
Yeah right, pull the other one Wanky Franky, it plays Jingle Bells.

A small step for a man, a giant leap backwards for mankind.

It was clear from the beginning that he was anti-gay. He was always against adoption of gay couples and against gay marriage. He was always an opponent of "the gay lobby". He's the fucking stupid pope of a stupid, evil church. Nothing else is expected of him. That anyone is still looking for redeeming qualities in this hate group is a joke in my view.

Dietl Level 7 Dec 2, 2018

Now that you've mentioned the word 'Pope' do you know what the letters POPE stand for these days?
POPE = Protector Of Paedophile Employees.

@Triphid Sadly accurate.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:235495
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.