Agnostic.com

406 21

Would you raise your children religious just to fit in?

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

406 comments (101 - 125)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Let me answer your question with an other question would you raise your kid in white suprimise if it was popular

No way. However my Christian school education versus Catholic school education after I was expelled from Christina school, was night and day. The Catholics are much more accepting and less pushy while still offering quality education. I think it would be a disservice to my kids to not teach them of as many religions as possible. I would send my kids to Catholic school as monotheistic religion dominates the USA and they should be well versed. We all need to make our own choices and the only way we can do that is with full information.

clea Level 4 Dec 16, 2017

Hell no, and we're not. We explained to them what we believe and briefed them on what Christianity is and told them that they can make their own decision on what to believe as they get older and understand things better.

Our 13 year old is an atheist and our 9 year old currently believes in God. We have told her we won't take her to church but she occasionally goes with my mother. We don't discourage what she believes but we don't hide our reasons for our lack of belief.

Nope... would you raise your kid(s) to be generally ignorant to fit in with the large portion (what is it, like 47%) of the ignorant 'mericons?

Absolutely not!! One of the primary reasons I have always refused to date Christians, is that they insist on indoctrinating their children. I had a very good friend when I was a teenager who was Christian & I briefly considered it. But he told me no way would agree to raise the kids non-religious, so they could decide for themselves as adults. I think raising kids to believe such deluded nonsense to be incredibly immoral.

Never, I'm raising both my children to be critical thinkers, my 7 year old has Come to the conclusion that God does not exist on his own.

Never.. Forcing religion upon your young ones just to fit in is like being at high school all over again (the whole thing with cliques) it's just no.

To be honest, I don't think the next generation will have anything to with religion; I mean.. have you seen and looked closely to the trends and other things shown to kids and the whole world? It's going anti-godly all around in my conclusion...

If my child is joining a religious movement because its trendy than I would oppose If my child wants to join a religion I want them to believe in it not what others believe

No we need people who see the world as it is in real all these old crazy stories about a Christian god that killed his own son is fodder a sad and silly life. Most religious people are scared of death and god and not to be mean but they should see him more as a dead beat father

Love how you said,” dead beat father.” Lol

I was forced to go to church and go through certain rituals as a chilc. It is abuse, straight up. No way do I expose my child to the dogma.

I tend to agree. When my mother tried to force me to go to Sunday school, I was so lucky my father was able to talk her down. She went ballistic when I asked her why I should go & listen to a bunch of crazy nonsense that was obviously not true. At age 9 I already knew that I was an atheist.

I think it would be best to tell them about God and Santa, but tell them that some people actually think they are real. So, don't spill the beans because it might hurt the feelings of the believers.

Fuck no. My daughter has never been religious. I teach her about religions, and she has no problem being an open Atheist, even if she's alone in that regard (which was the case in her Texas schools).

Marz Level 7 Nov 22, 2017

No way. But since apostasy is a very serious thing in my society, I will make them liberals with a religious background

no why should I. I think religious teaching is damaging to the inquisitive mind, why would anyone wish to restrict their child's development.

Hell no!

I find this question somewhat perplexing.

I am assuming (which means I might possibly be wrong) that the question is being asked from the perspective of a non-theist living in a western cultural paradigm?

In which case, why would you educate and raise your children in a manner that you yourself do not agree with? Wouldn’t that be the epitome of hypocrisy?

I believe we should encourage our children to investigate the truth for themselves and to form their own opinions. If we want our children to become independent thinkers who listen to what others have to say and ask questions, then we should be open and honest with them, and ourselves.

He-e-e-ll no. Plus, every kid (depending on your location) is going to have a different religion, so even if they're religious they won't necessarily "fit in." I would let them explore religion if they themselves were interested in it, though. (I have a lot of opinions on child -rearing for somebody who doesn't want kids.)

I never do anything to fit in. Is a waste of intelligent time.

Of course not

No way, I have raised three, and religion was kept out of their lives at home, until they were old enough too make informed decisions, their mothers were christians and I have been atheist or agnostic since I my early teens.

Never

..to fit in to what?

My child is very confident in herself & knows she NEVER has to pretend to be something she's not comfortable with - just to fit in!

Absolutely not! I am aware that kids are sensative about not being like other kids. My famous words to my kids are "Don't follow the heard". They are in their teens now and are just fine.

NO

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:24
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.