Agnostic.com

806 60

How do you tell religious people that you're an atheist?

I live in America and am surrounded by Christians.
Whenever I talk about myself to religous people, I want to say ,"I am an atheist". Do you say that? Is there a better way?

Bingogwak 6 Sep 10

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

806 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Don't be afraid of your beliefs. If Christians are talking about how they feel just simply come out and disagree. Make sure you've done your research though. I've been caught in conversations where I forget key pieces of information and my argument seems flawed.

stick to your beliefs, key information will naturally flow through you, and . . . never lose your sense of humor if you ever got caught in an argument as my father always reminds me that "NOBODY WINS AN ARGUMENT"

We have to remember always, we are right , they are wrong.

In my early twenties I was pretty angry and abrasive with my beliefs or lack thereof. I've found that communicating an aura of open acceptance, humility and a willingness to listen completely changes the receptivity of the knowledge that I am agnostic. It almost catches people off guard. There is a stigma attached to being without religion. I enjoy the widening of a person's eyes when they learn that this kind, smiling and generous person doesn't adhere to their beliefs. I enjoy it much more than I used to enjoy shredding their evidence of God.

pardon, mam, but I can't help but say "God bless you!" ha-haaaah ! ! !

I think that you have the best approach. I respect people who can approach believers who you disagree with and treat them the same way you do with someone you agree with.

I have found the same. Practicing kindness, compassion, generosity, etc., is both the right thing to do for our fellow human beings and it seriously gives folks pause who have been taught that the godless are wicked. When they discover that that isn't the case - by finding out that someone who is obviously kind-hearted isn't a theist at all - well, that undermines the bigotry against us and may sometimes get some people thinking even more broadly about whether the Christian stories make sense.

I don't unless they ask, then I just tell them and if they start with oh you just got to pray for him to reveal himself and all that I say I used to be a Christian and you don't how badly I wish still believed like that, life was so much easier when I belived I had someone looking out for me.

Reality it is better to me than lies and fantasies

I argue and debate, whenever I get caught in one, in a very pleasant and cordial manner and most of the time with comic hilarious antics . . . for me it's not really what you say but how you say it.

It all depends on what's at stake. If I'm at work I'm not going to discuss my atheism. If I had parents who would throw me out of the house I'm not going to discuss my atheism. As an adult who is capable of taking care of my own needs, I let all my friends and family know I'm an atheist. I often times wear T-Shirts saying I'm an Atheist. If my theist friends don't want anything more to do with me then I'll deal with that loss, but I'm not afraid to tell someone I'm not convinced. I would say that Christians aren't afraid to tell you their beliefs so as long as you're not mocking them and you mention it with respect I wouldn't be afraid to tell them you're not convinced.

you are right

Je suis musulmans

you mean?

This person wrote "I am a muslim" in French.

Sure, if it comes up. It depends on the person.

Draco Level 6 Sep 23, 2017

The best way is what works for you. It doesn't have to be a secret, or the main topic. It depends on the environment and circumstances. If someone brings it up, or imposes their views, I may share mine. I'm not embarrassed, ashamed, or scared because believers are the majority. The deciding factors for me are whether I'm inclined at the time, and whether I believe my words will resonate.

No one of us should be embarrassed, ashamed, or scared.
Remember that We are right and they are wrong.

tonia: I agree, "no one should be....",but some are.

I am proud being a atheist .

Bingogwak: That's great

Depends on your comfort level. "Sorry, I'm not religious" is what I say if I know they'll be extremely offended by "atheist". Going by my experience, you have to think about your safety. Not religious is a softer blow. Easy to accept. Mainly because they know there are people who believe in a god, but don't participate in religious activities. There's no shame in being atheist, but we're a minority up against many people who would harm us if they got the chance. I'm sure you've seen some of what they've said they'd do. Not all are friendly enough to leave it at "I'll l pray for you" lol.
When I came out to my mother, her words were "you'll know God when you're burning in hell and by then it'll be too late". After that, she started mistreating my kids and trying to indoctrinate them.
I have to ease my way into saying I'm atheist. They think we're beyond demonic and can never be good people. Have to show them different before they judge off what we say we are.

Ember Level 4 Sep 25, 2017

I am so sorry. I would never have thought that personal safety would be an issue. Then again I am a large guy and have been told I'm very intimidating, so not much of an issue for me. But to fear for your kids? I've been down that road but never because of religion That sucks.

I totally disagree with you I think you should get good Christian like me!! I'll talk to my imaginary friend and maybe he or she could help you out!! I'm just kidding I've had terrible experiences in every aspect of my life including Christians there are some who do the walking instead of talking but where in the hell are they!?

That is my reply (I'm not religious) to some of my extremely religious relatives. I have known them most of my life - before I was an atheist - value them, know they won't change, and know they don't have long to live.

I agree completely. Saying that you don't believe something is quite different than saying you believe the polar opposite of something. That is an incendiary comment for some 'devout' folks, even though their religion would ask for their patience and acceptance.

I just tell them, I do not believe god exist.

tonia Level 5 Sep 25, 2017

I think it depends upon how well you know them, but I have no problem telling people I am an atheist.

I have no problem telling anyone that I am not a believer but only if it comes up. Some people want to convert me and think if they keep talking I will come to their way of thinking and see how wrong I am. In reality, it just puts me off. It does bother me that my mom worries about my soul. I know she is a true believer and I don't want her to worry but I also have told her since I was a little kid that I didn't believe so she knows. Now that she is in her 70's, I hate that it adds stress to her.

I lost my Mom 10 years ago, she too was a devout believer, there came a point when there was nothing left to do but to humor her and relieve her stress. I attended church with her once or twice. it made her happy.
I never spoke to her about my skepticism and spoke to her in her Christianese language. I held her hand when she was passing and I told her to greet my dad and siblings for me, and she passed away peacefully.
Sometimes love and compassion just calls for humoring people and meeting them on their own level.

My mother too was devout and nagged me relentlessly about believing! Going to church was mind numbingly boring! To much hypocrisy for me! Went to church a few times from guilt but watched as it was more important for her lady friends to see me there than any benefit for me. My biggest realization was, I’m the only one that can make me feel guilty so........thankfully I stopped going to churh

@Donna. Yes that last sentence is what I believe too.

I don't bring it up but if it comes up I certainly don't shy away from it. I once had a woman tell me how terrible she thought Atheists were. So I said, "Really? I'm an atheist." I try to always challenge their misconceptions about what a non-believer is before I let the truth bomb hit, though.

I have no want or need for your jealous powerless God.

I tend to not have this conversation. But if pushed I have found that the direct route is the best " I am an agnostic, Agnosticism is the view that, the truth values of certain claims – especially metaphysical and religious claims such as whether God, the divine or the supernatural exist – are unknown and perhaps unknowable."

I live in Kentucky, 'atheist' is a dirty word. I don't tell people here that I am an atheist, or even that I am non-religious.

I live in california. A lot more of people are atheist around me at least.

Bingogwak: Do you live in northern or southern Cali?

Same here in SC. everybody says have a blessed day in stores or businesses. I know they mean well so I try to ignore them.

I just say it

If I think the situation calls for it most people I meet it doesn't need to come up. But if someone preaching at me then I tell them or if I think I truly need to be honest with this person I tell them.

I just tell them. No reason to pretend.

Say you are an atheist but when you are asked if you believe. People will judge a lot quicker if you tell them without they asking. It's like telling people you are not a fireman or a cook when you are describing yourself. So unless you are asked if you believe in god then just tell them No. There's no need to add a label for everything we are not.

I don't. Especially down here in Shi'ite Catholic Country (southeast Louisiana), many people think you have AIDS, Ebola or something if you're outed as "atheist."

However, I am quite vociferous about being "anti-religion." Even when I was still technically a Christian, I was VERY anti-religion, and since the 9/11 attacks, most •reasonable• folks can understand my seething disdain for that type of superstition.

I usually say I am a secular humanist. If they don't know what that means, I explain that I don't believe in a god but I do believe in humanity.

Recently in a group discussion, one of our group who is a former minister turned atheist and author of several pro-atheist books, said that he believes that we should say we are atheists. The contention is that some people may not know what the other names or euphemisms we might use, mean. That makes sense to me but my experience has been that when I say I'm an atheist, people are automatically turned off and stop listening or walk away. That's OK with me but it also means that I've missed an opportunity to engage with them and leave them with a good impression of what an atheist might be like!

I wanted to comment, just didn't know how to put it in words. YOU NAILED IT! Thank you!

Yes, you nailed it!!! The moment you tell somebody that is religious that you are an atheist, they must likely turn around and won't talk to you anymore.

Said I was atheist, was asked why I worship satan.

living in middle east learned me one important rule # i don't tell

I try not tell religious people tha I am an atheist. Because I live in country that most of people are religious, and with some of them you can't feel comfortable if they know that you don't believe in God. But I always end up telling them haha

Most people of my country ( Czech rep.) are non religious, so I do not talk to them about atheism.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:121
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.