Agnostic.com

806 60

How do you tell religious people that you're an atheist?

I live in America and am surrounded by Christians.
Whenever I talk about myself to religous people, I want to say ,"I am an atheist". Do you say that? Is there a better way?

Bingogwak 6 Sep 10

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

806 comments (651 - 675)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Say it. You will find out who your friends are.

Depending on how obnoxious they've been, I sometimes tell them, "I'm not superstitious" or "I don't believe in mythology".

I am honest but don't offer information about myself if the other person never asked, or unless they give me some reason to speak on the subject. For those who ask my beliefs I am honest but typically start by telling them I was raised Pentacostal, studied scriptures sincerely and eventually came to realize every organized religion in existence touts ideas that are most certainly either wrong or at least unsupported by their own scriptures. I point out as example the endless splintering of Protestant denominations, each one claiming theirs is the accurate one. Then I point to the Bible itself saying "No humans can ever fully comprehend the mind of God" and point to the contradiction that human-led churches appear to claim to do just that. I typically don't tell them that I believe NONE of the notion of a sentient deity looking after my life, instead keeping it more vague and explaining why doubt in any specific faith system is a reasonable position to take. I may eventually use the term "agnostic" but only after I have explained why I no longer believe what I was raised to believe. I don't use the term "atheist" unless I want to piss them off for being strident about their own delusional beliefs. In actuality, I am both agnostic and atheist, because these terms overlap and just have somewhat different focus and emphasis.

I prefer to tell them as soon as it's brought up. I tell them that I am not here to tell anyone they are wrong and I expect the same. I try to be open minded and thoughtful. I feel that being honest about my beliefs and my views saves headaches later on.

I heard a good quote today from Lawrence Krauss. He quoted someone in the WSJ who said, "I try and keep an open mind, but not so open that my brain falls out!" I think that's fun!

R. Allan Worrell

People close to me who matter already know. The rare occasion where the subject may arise I don't offer explaination, or I may disclose being an atheist, but only to those I percieve as understanding the deffinition.

Among my friends and relatives here in VA, saying that I have doubts about the bible or think christianity is a crock of .... it would be certain trouble. I live my way, by the Golden , and avoid these discussions.

lcmdws Level 4 June 17, 2018

"God made me an Atheist, who are you to question his decision."

Hear, hear!

No. Say, "who are you to question HER decision?" That should get them!

I personally use the term secular humanist, because there's more substance than just saying you're an atheist. Unfortunately I got utterly rejected just this Wednesday. Nothing tells me I'm back in America like being rejected over religious ideals (I lived in Japan for 3½ years and had no problem with me being an atheist)

I live in an area where I frequently hear, "Have a blessed day!" to which I reply, "Thanks, but I'd rather just have a great one!". I figure if they can tell me their BS, I should be able to throw it back at them!

R. Allan Worrell

Alw314 Level 5 June 22, 2018

I hear that crap daily. I also say, "Happy Holidays," to which they angrily yell "Merry Christmas!" I respond with, "I am a member of the Church of the Poisoned Mind and we don't do christmas." They are stunned into sweet, beautiful SILENCE.

I've been responding "No, thank you", but I've been considering moving on to "May the Force be with you" and "Praise be to Satan".

The first thing to ask yourself is would you have a problem if they told you they are Christian? Obviously, I assume not. As they have no problem stating they are Christian; you should have no problem stating you are an atheist. There is no right way to say something, If they have an issue of just a simple difference, then that's on them, and not you.

Your reasoning is near perfect only quit mis-labeling Atheists as adjectives. ...we are upper case Nouns. ...we Atheists free of the disease of theism. ...I, like you NEVER assume a stranger is a believer or an Atheist. ...an xian often wear crosses shaped like an x. ...I often wear my American Atheists "orbit" carbon atom symbol

Around here, if you are antitheist, never let them know where you live. You'll have a flaming cross on your lawn!

Yes I was attacked by the KKK in Iowa when my DIAL AN Atheist 2 minutes msg went out and I took both live and recorded incoming calls 515 266 6133 the FBI refused to do a voice print analysis letting the perp xians run free across Amerikkka

I live in England, most people I know are atheists. You're extremely unlikely to be asked about religion, and the relatively few theists I do know aren't of the raving swivel eyed bible bashing kind, and we get on just famously agreeing to disagree.

Aubz Level 2 June 25, 2018

I tend to use the short "I'm not a believer" and leave it at that. If they press the issue beyond that, I follow the maxim of "if you don't want to deal with the answer, don't ask the question" and expose them to some reality.

Dude look what they've done to the world. Do they deserve your respect. Have they once ever made sure to not offend your opinion? I already know the answer to that I have dealt with these wackos all my life and it is coming to a truly crucial moment in our society.

. Will we continue with the ways of old or lay down the bondage that religion has put on us and by doing so rid the world of the Perpetual proletariat or the caste system or whatever you want to call it but this will bring about Global Communications and Global power distribution and Global Food Distribution and only at that point can we judge ourselves a successful species. As of now any scientists would look at the assemble data concerning our speeches and deem it a failure. We are simply running out of time to be polite. You should show Christians the same respect that you would show any form of life and that is your duty. And you should never be violent even when they turn to violence. But modify your speech to protect their feeble completely unsought about opinion? Hell no and pardon my odd adjectives

I say 'I'm atheist'. As long as they understand English, it works well.

It largely depends on context. If I'm at work or around strangers, I try to avoid politics and religion. But sometimes that doesn't work and I have to go through this gross line of question and answer about how no, just because I'm not Christian doesn't mean I'm a Devil worshipper OR a Satanist and yes there's a difference. Yes, I am open to the idea of some controlling force of the universe, but I am not so narcissistic as to try to name it, categorize it, and certainly not to assume to know its form or if it even has a gender. No my lack of religion does not mean I'm not a moral or ethical person. If pressed, I'll extend as far as calling myself an agnostic deist. I generally refer to it simply as 'the Universe.'

I don’t unless asked and the I proudly say I’m atheist.

I’m pretty sure they can tell.

I usually say I am a heathen. I like the reaction to that!

That is my brother-in-law's response. He says that he is a "heathen savage".

My best friend's husband, who is an atheist, called his brother a "godless heathen" at the church the day before their wedding. The look on his Baptist future grandmother-in-law's face was priceless.

I generally don't unless I am specifically asked. Just a few days ago I was at my father's funeral. My father was very catholic and was a VIP in both the church and in the Knights of Columbus. The funeral was at the church that I used to attend when I was still a minor and church attendance was not my choice. The KofC was very helpful with the funeral arrangements and even paid for some of it, so I am very grateful to them for the respect and love that they gave to him and his family. But when some suggested that I join the Knights, my response was simply, "I don't do Catholic anymore." Fortunately I was not pressed beyond that. I think a lot of the people there would be very disappointed to know just how not catholic I am.

I don't. If they're visiting, all they have to do is look at my bookshelf to figure it out. I did have a nurse, who watches my boys overnight, ask me if I was.

I don't. If they're visiting, all they have to do is look at my bookshelf to figure it out. I did have a nurse, who watches my boys overnight, ask me if I was.

Depends on the situation. If it's at work, I don't advertise because I don't need anyone to negatively impact my career based on faith/beliefs. Outside of that, I let people know and I may even be an anti-thiest in some situations.

dokala Level 7 July 20, 2018

If they ask me, I just tell them.

If they ask me, I just tell them.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:121
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.