Agnostic.com

806 60

How do you tell religious people that you're an atheist?

I live in America and am surrounded by Christians.
Whenever I talk about myself to religous people, I want to say ,"I am an atheist". Do you say that? Is there a better way?

Bingogwak 6 Sep 10

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

806 comments (726 - 750)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Just say it don't be scared

If you're not comfortable just stating it categorically, approach it euphamistically. Rather than say "I'm an atheist, beotch!" say something like "I've returned my faith in God for a reality refund."

I would not tell you to go out of the closet before feeling safe.
If the community is toxic to atheism, just don't be religious and tell if asked.
If you feel safe, just act as one, the question will come naturally.

Sorry, that just isn’t my jam.

I’m lucky in that I live in the UK and so ‘coming out’ as an atheist isn’t a big deal as it might be in some part of the US. However, my dad’s second wife is ‘born again’ and cannot say a sentence without mentioning Jesus. Oh, and she cheated on my dad but got away with it by saying that ‘her lord would forgive her’. I called her out on her bullshit on Facebook once and her reply was that I “wouldn’t be laughing when I was being judged after I was dead”. Horrible horrible woman.

But mostly I associate with free-thinkers, many of which are agnostics, atheists or secularists. Some nicer Christians accept it and use it as a topic for discussion and perfectly okay with it.

Which reminds me of a story of when I was flying to NYC once. I found myself sat next to what I thought was a Catholic priest. He had the burgundy cassock, skull cap, crucifix around his neck, the works. I was dreading an eight hour flight but I actually had one of the most enjoyable trips of my life. He told me that he was an Orthodox Catholic, a small sect in the Southern US that supported gay marriage, women’s rights and women bishops. They weren’t a rich dinomination but raised money for the homeless and addicts. Priests were allowed to marry and he introduced to me to his husband. And I kid you not but he was called Bill (short for Bartholomew) and his husband Ted! Such a nice guy. But when I told him straight out that I was an atheist, he shook my hand and said “That’s good, because you believe something

Atheist is a loaded word these days. If you are ready to educate people what the word actually means, go for it. If you're not in the mood for a fight say 'skeptic'. Less negative craziness attached to that word.

I always try to do so with sensitivity and respect I do so in terms of explaing what works for myself and that we all most chose our own philosophical path to follow. We all seek contentment and context in our own way and that I would not fault others for choosing to believe differently

Try to be something that I found most religious people are not, HONEST, tell them straight out and openly that you are an Atheist and proud to be one. It may lose you a lot of 'friends' BUT over time you will come to realise that you didn't really need them after all as you gain even more stronger and truer friends from the world of Atheists.

I am an atheist?

It depends on why I'm telling them... my religious affiliation or lack there of doesn't define me to the point that I feel I need to tell everyone but by the same token if I do decide to let them know I just say it as casually as they say "I'm a Christian." That's cool, it isn't how I feel but if your religion gives you peace and you're not shoving it down my throat to each their own.

I usually do not go out of my way to talk about religion to people I've just met. Usually I just say "no" if people ask if I go to church. Most of the time they don't try to press the matter. I don't mind a good discussion in certain circumstances though. It just depends on them.

I don't. I guess mainly because I don't see myself as an atheist because I never went to church. I say stuff like "I'm a retired physician." or "I'm a mandolin player". Because those things are real to me, whereas their religion is real to them.

jafbm Level 5 Oct 12, 2018

I’m a private person and have never felt the urge nor the need to tell anyone that I’m atheist. Obviously, others feel differently. But I’ve never understood why people feel the need either. Is it in hopes of a debate or an argument? In that case, well, I refuse to argue with anybody about anything. At my age I have nothing to prove and am perfectly content with the size of my penis. Many people are much smarter than I am and I readily concede that. So, what else is there? Change a believer’s mind? Please.....

Well said!

I personally wouldn’t bring it up unless prompted, and even then, I’m careful to read the situation before spilling the beans.

Agnostic can be a easier way as most religious people understand what agnostic is. Atheist is moor taboo and also misunderstood more so with out the chance to explain your beliefs they could presume some stupid idea about what that really means. I say Atheist whenever possible. Mainly to draw out any misconceptions but this can be riskier as could leave someone ignorant believing very incorrect info about you.

Echo7 Level 3 Oct 13, 2018

The fact that you do not want to engage with Christians says more about their likely intolerance than their love for you.A true follower of Jesus would listen to your views however antipathetic they were to his or her faith without rancour in the hope that you may see the light one day.Even if you made it clear that you cannot envisage circumstances in which a leap of faith would be possible your believer interlocutor should should continue to hope you may change your mind whilst holding out the hand of friendship.If anger is the reaction to the communication of your views try someone else but do not give up.You do not live in Iran or parts of Indonesia but in the USA which guarantees freedom of speech

I agree with this completely. Like any group there are assholes and decent folk. All of my Christian friends recognize my views and respect me enough not to preach. I in return respect their right to believe what they want as well.

@Quarm it seems nowadays we cannot have a rational conversation with religious fundamentalists as any criticism of their beliefs causes them to take immediate offence closing down any further meaningful communication.The reaction is even more pronounced if any reference to texts that call for violence against sinners or apostates as many adherents of the world’s major religions would prefer to avoid such teachings and emphasise the positive humane aspects of their beliefs such as the giving of alms to the poor and loving one’s neighbour.

I don't feel the need to volunteer the information, unless someone steers the conversation to religion and then starts digging or demanding approbation or agreement. Then the gloves come off.

Deb57 Level 8 Oct 15, 2018

Maybe just mentioning that ' it is not my thing, ' would suffice?

If they start talk about "god" I let them go for a while before asking them : "Which god?" They then usually say something about there being only one god. The answer that is why did their god say they can't have other gods before him. Sometime soon they change the subject or leave. Either is OK by me.

Exactly though I have found quite a few believers very interesting to talk to you if you just discuss things with them with grace and tact. Even in relation to non religious subjects.

I'm in the same boat so to speak, I live in a very religious neighborhood of Christians and Muslims, there's no tension between the two groups but they both get hostile or upset when I mention that I'm not religious. So I just keep quiet about it, if you don't want to be harassed I would recommend just staying quiet about it and just have close family and friends know about it. Try to find a group or small community to be your complete self in.

I say, I am a rational evolutionist period or sometimes just evolutionist.

If & When the subject comes up, I just say, "i am not religious At All" and move on.

I grew up in a very religious country myself where Christianity was just assumed and the issue was what kind of Christian you were. The possibility of you having no belief was not even entertained. Happily my family did not take a strong prescriptive view on personal belief. There were all different denominations within my mothers family as all my grandmothers children adopted different denominations from the one she raised them in and remained in so it became accepted that people could have varying views. So although they presumed belief they did not challenge non belief when I came to it.
For me living in a secular country now I have little patience with pandering to the arrogance of the aggressively religious. If it comes up I just say I’m not religious and depending on how well I plan to know them I will say I’m an atheist. I never pretend to be religious although I may allude to previously belonging to and attending a church regularly as part of general conversation. I never wear an air of shame or secrecy about it. Frankly I’m proud of it.

If not ask no problem,if asked then yes

Respond only when asked...

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:121
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.