Agnostic.com

806 60

How do you tell religious people that you're an atheist?

I live in America and am surrounded by Christians.
Whenever I talk about myself to religous people, I want to say ,"I am an atheist". Do you say that? Is there a better way?

Bingogwak 6 Sep 10

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

806 comments (551 - 575)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I live in Georgia so it's not something I lead with but I am not shy about speaking my mind. On top of that my mother is a methodist church choir director and dad was a minister. I was in my 30's before I told them. I have learned to stand my ground and stay civil as I use logic and reason to explain my position which totally pisses most of them off. I cannot go to our yearly high school reunion because I get practically attaked by bible thumpers and with alcohol involved they tend to get aggressive.

I don't usually have the subject brought up. So I don't really get into any conversations in which I tell them that I am an agnostic.

I just allow a new relationship/friendship to develop first. For the most part, religion isn't something that's discussed immediately upon meeting someone. When or if it does come up I am always honest, but also make it known that I respect their freedom of choice. If that ends the relationship...it was never a real friendship anyway. I have lost many "friends" this past year between my religious and political views 🙂

What about those people (we all have met lots of them) who are all "praise God", etc. within the first few minutes of meeting them?

The word 'atheist' is often misunderstood. Some religious people think it is synonymous with 'evil'. So I usually tell people I'm 'not religious'. I may tell them that I do appreciate ethics, and I like parts of the Bible, like the Sermon on the Mount, and loving our neighbors as ourselves. If the conversation continues to the point where "God" is mentioned, I tell them I don't believe in gods.

I don't feel compelled to tell most people anything unless it comes up. I'm open to discussing belief systems with anyone who seems to have a curious and open mind. Otherwise if they ask I tell them I'm a practicing equestrian. That often gets me a Blank Stare, but it's true that I have a horse, and most horses I know have better ethics and are better company overly religious people tend to be.

I sometimes tell people that I am a Pastafarian. For info, google "Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster" ... lol

I make no bones about it. I tell them I am an evangelical atheist. However, I should note that I live in British Columbia, Canada, and the level of religious tolerance here is likely far higher than where you're from.

Sometimes I say it if they're hell-bent on trying to get me to agree on some religious point they're trying to make.

Deb57 Level 8 Apr 6, 2018

I'll tell them I grew up as a devout Mormon and then sometimes they'll ask what I believe now, and I'll tell them I don't believe in any deity or religion. I'm pretty upfront about it in a religious discussion. I'm calm about it and just honest.

I will say something like "I see no reason to assume all the things you'd have to assume to believe a supernatural being created and rules the universe." Yes, I know this goes right over the heads of non-rational, faith-based people. I don't care. In a sane world, the burden of proof should be on those making extraordinary claims, not on those of us who don't buy those claims without actual evidence. I'm not going to be hanging around such people looking for their acceptance anyway.

When I was experimenting with Islam when I was younger a Christian woman called me an atheist because I didn't believe exactly in what she believes in. Christian folks ultimately believe in whatever the hell they like so it doesn't really serve any purpose to go back and worth with some who's mind is already mad up and won't accept any evidence.

Simply put, I tell my Christian neighbors, and living in the Bible belt means lots of Christian neighbors; allows me to affirm I am a FREE THINKER. I allow them to express their views first, and then I say; “now that you have communicated your principles, here are my opinions on Christianity.” Thus, this is what I believe.

Wait to be asked and then just make it as a passing comment, "I'm an atheist and you are?... oh how's that working out for you? mmmmm? Yes atheist, but lets not alk about me, I'm much more interested in you...."

“Here there comes a practical question which has often troubled me. Whenever I go into a foreign country or a prison or any similar place they always ask me what is my religion.

I never know whether I should say "Agnostic" or whether I should say "Atheist". It is a very difficult question and I daresay that some of you have been troubled by it. As a philosopher, if I were speaking to a purely philosophic audience I should say that I ought to describe myself as an Agnostic, because I do not think that there is a conclusive argument by which one prove that there is not a God.

On the other hand, if I am to convey the right impression to the ordinary man in the street I think I ought to say that I am an Atheist, because when I say that I cannot prove that there is not a God, I ought to add equally that I cannot prove that there are not the Homeric gods.

None of us would seriously consider the possibility that all the gods of homer really exist, and yet if you were to set to work to give a logical demonstration that Zeus, Hera, Poseidon, and the rest of them did not exist you would find it an awful job. You could not get such proof.

Therefore, in regard to the Olympic gods, speaking to a purely philosophical audience, I would say that I am an Agnostic. But speaking popularly, I think that all of us would say in regard to those gods that we were Atheists. In regard to the Christian God, I should, I think, take exactly the same line. ”

Bertrand Russell

Most of the religious will try to avoid you because they believe you can switch to a bad person any time since no god to watch you and no hill to scare you. Just keep it to yourself and they will figure it out from your discussions and opinions which will help them to see that you can be good for the sake of goodness and yourself .

I typically say I do not believe in magic, any invisible father or mother in the sky or anything supernatural.

Good topic. In personal relationships I think it is best to be upfront. Let them know know how you feel and show them it makes little difference in your life. It is also best to find out if it will be an issue in the future. In business it is not their business. If asked tell them you will forgive them asking if they will forgive you for not answering.

People ask me if I believe in God, and I respond, "God who?"

I never have to it isnt anyone elses business - I have a friend and in Northern Ireland there is a big Protestant Catholic divide - people when I first came here used to ask my partner 3 questions - whats your father name,? what school did you go to ?,where are you living?, if you answered they would know which side you were on - he is atheist - but always said "Sure and if I told you that, you'd know everything about me wouldnt you?

I don't unless they can tell me why they want to know its extremely unimportant to me . I 'd rather they asked me my name first -

That's how I do it.

I don't. As far as I'm concerned that's my business. My family knows. I don't have any friends, just acquaintances and co-workers. It's not a subject that I feel compelled to discuss.

I don't , what good would it do them or me its my business and as unimportant to me as anything could possibly be - An absence of soemthing is hardly newsworthy. If you are trying to stop peopel talking to you about religious stuff just have an imaginary errand to urgently run plus - I'll get back to you on that !I have been practising getting away from awkward conversations forever - My partner is from N.I and people always want to know if hes protetan tor catholic he says "Now if I told oyu that you 'd know everything about me wouldnt you? And they do shut up .

I just don't say anything. Why do they need to know my business. But, if they bring it up I don't reinforce what they're saying and if they ask why or don't I believe in God then I have no choice and say "no, I believe in science"

I don't unless they ask me. I am an open book for the most part. Being an atheist is not some aspect for me to have to make known to define myself. What is important to me is that I treat people on principle, and how I relate to them with how they treat others. Atheism has near zero to do with how I interact with people, unless it is a topic of relevance to a particular type of relationship. For example, to love another I don't need atheism, I just feel that from interactions. The emotion are real things. Atheism has only one thing to do with me, that is the fact that I hold no beliefs in systems of otherworldly beings, spirits, etc, nothing more. 🙂

Unfortunately most times you don't say anything.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:121
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.