Agnostic.com

806 60

How do you tell religious people that you're an atheist?

I live in America and am surrounded by Christians.
Whenever I talk about myself to religous people, I want to say ,"I am an atheist". Do you say that? Is there a better way?

Bingogwak 6 Sep 10

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

806 comments (376 - 400)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I'd say 'I'm an atheist'. But nobody's asked.

Providing Atheism, or religion is the conversational topic I simply make it perfectly clear that I am an Atheist. To the religious fanatics who push their advice onto me as to what is going to happen to me because I'm an Atheist I simply reply it is because of you and the way you treat others who don't follow your rules that convinces me to remain where I am.
I do not celebrate the festive season because of the hypocrisy which surrounds it. Watching people gorge themselves surrounded with cheap and trivial rubbish representing their particular faith makes me wonder about humanity. Half the world is starving while the other half are on diets. Amongst the social community in which I live those who profess to be connected to one faith or another, there is not a single person who has visited a church or place of prayer in the past two or three years. Any attempt to discuss and come to an understanding of their behaviour is generally met with a strange look implying that I must be the strange one because I'm not following the herd, followed by the justification that '...anyway it's for the kids! ...'. I wonder just what are we teaching them ?

I live in Waco. I just stay away from them as i burst out laughing at things like signs that say, "pray away the gay", these idiots believe that stuff. The religious people here are all hypocrites and it's quite disgusting. They think God likes them better and rewards them with money. If I tell them I don't believe they want to talk to me. No, oh, no.

I say atheist or humanist, depending on the person. Or I can say secular humanistic Jew.... just depends on the person, and how much explaining I may have to do!

I'm far to honest. I just say I don't believe in crap written in works of fiction, hundreds of years ago when the average person couldn't read or write.....

I try to do it in a humorous way as follows. ""If Joseph and Mary were alive today and Mary were pregnant, then Joseph would be getting Mary on the Jeremy Kyle show to do a DNA test".

I'll get some shock looks but I'll just say to them that I'm sorry, but I don't believe in immaculate conception. If that isn't enough of a hint I'll just straight out say I'm atheist. At this point some people turn into snowflakes and get offended.

I rarely have to. Aside from certain family members on holidays, I don’t find myself in the company of too many religious people that I am aware of. At least not outwardly religious to the point where they want to discuss it. But secretly I do like the occasional debate only because I always come out feeling like the winner of the argument. ????

gabe Level 2 Dec 25, 2017

Very easily, I tell them as soon as they ask. I don't offer the information that I am atheist until they ask though.
Generally it is unproductive to engage the religious in conversation about religion. You certainly won't change their minds, and in fact you will probably drive them further down the path of faith if you attack their faith.

I read a great quote once.

Religion is like a penis.
It's a wonderful thing to have. I am quite proud of mine.

I am not going to force it down an unwilling persons throat or wave it in front of children.

You can let them have their invisible teddybear in the sky. It's not like there is some atheist god commanding you to convert people.

You can say, "I find no reason or proof to believe that way. What is your idea of "god" & why do you believe?" I, myself, do state that I am an atheist, but I am trying to be somewhat less confrontational & attempting to master some of the lessons of "Street Epistemology".

I don't, I just play into what ever religious expectations they have. It's easier and I come to discover that spiritual choices are personal and should be treated as such.

It usually comes up when they invite me to church with them.
"Would you like to go to church with us?"
"No thanks, I'm an atheist"

Gener Level 5 Dec 26, 2017

I only bring it up if it's brought up and if it is my usual statement is, "I don't buy into what I think is a bunch of bullshit, sorry."

I live in sheltered accommodation North Coast of northern Ireland and most people here are religious. I try not to rattle any ones cage at all because I am different enough anyway but if I trust someone and they know I don't disrespect their choices I just say that I am an atheist. No one has ever questioned me about it or tried to change me in any way and I keep a neighbours statue of 'our lady' clean and tidy.

Hhhhhh so hard to tell in Iraq

Yeah, don't put your safety at risk or anything.

@Neraven Ni!
All of my friends know that I am an atheist
Life is risk????

"I am an atheist, it doesn't run my life and I am happy to discuss my beliefs with you"

Have you heard the fake news?

Mainly because the bornagains I’ve encountered ask if I’ve “heard the good news”... not sure what they mean, but they know what I mean...

I don't. They start to figure it out as we talk.

I usually say " I'm not a believer" , but only when asked. If they can't leave it at that, then they get the "superstitious nonsense" reply.

why would you be talking to one anyway?

Do people ask this just to get a reaction? Or are you really that jaded? OR, are you newly atheist/at that sort of angsty or teenage period of life where you judge everyone based on that alone? Cuz I've been there lol, and I do still sometimes go there. I'll take an excerpt from my comment:
"The one good friend I made within the last 3/4 of a year just fairly recently (maybe three months ago, maybe four) revealed through casual conversation that he was Christian, and pretty religious. He doesn't wear a seat belt, and he says it's cuz he's got three protectors: His mother, his guardian angel and the Holy Ghost. Funnily enough, he's been in a decent number of serious crashes (as front seat passenger too) and been just fine. Doesn't change the fact that he's really intelligent, ethical, kind, supportive and all that shit."

@Neraven well, my meaning was why would you be talking in areas where you can only disagree, especially to a friend?

You can ask them

When some religious topic comes up, I say I don't believe in god anymore. I'm too old to have an imaginary friend.

It depends on the person. Sometimes I just say, no, I don't believe. If they want to continue with that, I give them as much as is appropriate. If they start to threaten me with eternal torture I say this in not so many words, by John Povlowitz:

"Do you believe in God?”
"People have asked me that question for my entire life.
The answer used to be simple and quick, almost involuntary. I had a tidy little collection of the platitudes and Bible verses I’d stockpiled, committed to memory, and carried around should I be asked. I’d learned it—and I could do it well.
But little by little, I gradually grew less comfortable with those easy answers and I had less and less peace in my spirit with what they implied. I look around at many of the Christians whose God I was expected to share and amen and defend—and I realize that I can not.
I listened to the celebrity evangelists and the partisan politicians and the brimstone street preachers, and knew that we were not speaking about the same thing. We couldn’t be.
As I read the Bible; as I reflected on the world I’d experienced and the people I’d encountered; as I watched what Christians were doing and saying in the name of God, I came to the conclusion that I had to make a distinction between their beliefs and mine—because the two were simply incompatible.
There is a God I do not believe in:
I do not believe in a God who is male and white. (though I will use masculine pronouns below, as this identity is critical to the beliefs I once had but have discarded.)
I do not believe in a God who created women as less-than; who assigns certain tasks to them, who ascribes different value to them, who reserves church and home leadership solely for men.
I do not believe in a God who doles out blessings like a cosmic Santa Claus; adding up our naughty and nice stuff, giving us good things if the scales tip in our favor and withholding them if we don’t measure up.
I do not believe in a God who answers prayers based on volume; who will move to bring healing and help—only if enough appeals are made, when a critical mass is reached.
I do not believe in a God who is capable of permanently writing off His children for their mistakes, their rebelliousness, their unbelief; who would craft a place of eternal torment and suffering and separation—and then send them there for good.
I do not believe in an all-powerful God, who would allow a devil dominion anywhere—let alone in the place where His supposedly treasured children spend their days, as hurting, vulnerable, and scared as they all are.
I do not believe in a God who commands me to forgive others unrelentingly—and then holds a grudge against me should I fail one too many times; a God who is as petty, judgmental, thin-skinned, and vain as I am.
I do not believe in a God who spoke to a handful of people a few thousands years ago through divine dictation—and who is now silent.
I do not believe in an all-knowing God, who would create men and women with a specific identity and natural inclination to love—only to find them repulsive as they lived into those deepest truths.
I do not believe in a God who would choose sides in any war; who would revel in violence, who would rejoice in death, who would celebrate genocide.
I do not believe in a God who blesses America—or any other nation.
I realize that to many Christians, this means that I am not a proper person; that my lack of faith is illegitimate, my lack of religion is heretical, my testimony nullified. I’m okay with that. I know that any bitterness or condemnation that they respond to these words with, is the voice in their head of the God they believe—and I understand. They are, trying to figure out what character is—and how we should live accordingly.
All any of us can do, is to be as honest as we can at any given moment, about where all our searching and studying and praying and living has led us. This is where I am. I can’t be anywhere else. Today when people ask me, “Do you believe in God?”, especially when Christians ask me—my reply isn’t quick or simple or nearly as tidy.
Now my response is, “How much time do you have?”

That was awesomely put...

The best way is just tell them up front what you are. Saves a lot of time with closed minded people

I generally don't go out of my way to tell them I'm an atheist. If they ask a direct question about my religion, I just tell them. It is obvious to anyone that has more than a surface relationship with me.

Many people derive great comfort from religion, which is fine unless they are trying to push it on me.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:121
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.