Agnostic.com

806 60

How do you tell religious people that you're an atheist?

I live in America and am surrounded by Christians.
Whenever I talk about myself to religous people, I want to say ,"I am an atheist". Do you say that? Is there a better way?

Bingogwak 6 Sep 10

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

806 comments (601 - 625)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Well, why do you think that to say “I am an atheist” is a bad way so much that you have to find a better way. Now, most Christians I know do not start with “Hi, I’m a Christian”. If they do, then you can say “Hi, I’m an atheist”. But what most of them do is to tell you, at the end of a conversation “god bless you”. Which is their own way, depending on the response they get, of finding out who is Christian and who is not. In any case, if they tell me “god bless you” I can say “I don’t believe in god”. But the main point I want to make is: be proud to say what your beliefs are. Are you afraid you would loose their friendship? Do you need them?

Yes i need them in the special group of meeting but I m not afraid of loose them . They say they are christans proudly , so i just say i am a atheist honestly .

@Bingogwak If you lose friends over your lack of theism....they weren't really friends to lose, were they?

@LucyLoohoo I was going to say the same thing, but I don’t really know the social situation of @Bingogwak.

You don't tell them.... Let them believe you are one of them. One more bogus belief on their plate is not going to hurt them ?

I love it !!

Telling them you're "A HUMANIST" is a good idea. Maybe they don't know what it is and you can ask them (gently) to look into it. Then, smile and SCRAM! 🙂

some of us actually are card carrying members of the Humanist Association. It's worth examining their position.

@Flettie OF COURSE! You'd be doing them a favor!

Good idea, but some need a direct answer. I have family, who after 40 years of rejecting their views still did not recognize my views. In that case I just had to tell them I was a step thing Agnostic. It worked, and they never bring it up again.

@Carolina You don't suppose they think you're in a CULT? 🙂

I don't feel any less less inclined to share the fact I am an atheist than religionists who choose to share their theism do.

Yes Lucy, I am discovering groups like this and am so glad to have fellow non believers! I do get the fisheye at work but there is no way I could be like them or want to stoop to their blind faith. Someone said to me the other day I am so nonjudgemental and I thought to myself, that's because I'm not religious. Lol...

That's an added side effect of (good though), can't not believe the stupid things and all the actually times, and worried that consumed my life, Not sure what really happened to flip the switch in my head, but I've never been this calm and happy and content in my life. Think it was many factors hitting at the same time, I use to endure life, now I enjoy life! Even though I have limited mobility I do not let it stop me now. Take care!

I find most people treat me like I have a flu or something when I tell them I don't believe in any God.

keep sneezing on them LOL

I don't really talk about my lack of religion unless the other person wants to talk about it. And at that point I usually say something like "yeah, that's not for me" or "I'm not into that".

smox Level 4 May 6, 2018

I don’t unless I’m (rarely) asked. If I am asked, I just tell them. If they’re religious, and want to rngage with me, I refuse. I just tell them there’s no point as we’ll never agree. If they persist, I literally walk away.
But I’m lucky. The UK is a very irreligious country, so on the very rare occasions that I am asked, I usually only get the merest hint of a raised eyebrow. Most Brits are alleged to believe in god, but the vast majority of those simply don’t care enough to be bothered about what they believe, let alone what anyone else believes.
I feel for American atheists. It must be very hard sometimes.

I worry how much American Politics is steeped in religion. its almost a Theocracy like Iran

It can depend on the circumstances, but generally with people I don't know, I don't tell them unless they ask. (Spiritual-I believe in a Supreme Being/Creator, but not comfortable with Religion.) I am out about my beliefs to most of my family and friends, no problems there because the majority of them are spiritual/agnostic/atheist.

I simply challenge whatever they say politely - they soon get the picture.

I eat a baby in front of them. 😉

Piss on lawn!

Piss on lawn!

Piss on lawn!

I don't unless they ask, to put me in a category when they know nothing else about me seems ridiculous ot me - lacking context . I live in Northern Ireland and am English so no one is really bothered what I am .

Whereas I assume if you are local it would be an issue.

@Palindromeman big issue hereabouts protestantism v catholicism rules. atheists and agnostics ignored.

This wasnt a joke it was real because some tourists here got a lift with a priest in his car and he asked them what religion they were and they said they were atheist and he asked them "But would you be catholic or protestant atheist?

@jacpod Oh, I believe it. I have never lived in a place where religion is even something that a person would bring up with you. But, let's face it, Northern Ireland has some form in that respect.

I don't introduce myself as someone who doesn't collect stamps because it doesn't define who I am. If they ask me where I get my stamps, I'll tell them I don't collect.

Same thing with atheism. I don't define myself by non belief, but if they ask me about what religion I am I'll tell them.

I am right and you are wrong is perhaps the best way to address it. NO way can one believe in that stuff without sacrificing intellect

EMC2 Level 8 May 15, 2018

The word 'atheist' seems too frighten the religious right. I use the words 'Free Thinker'. And they just end up scatching their heads. Plus people generally don't talk that crap to me. Might be the way I look or how i look at them. Everyone around me already knows how I think. It's no secret ?

What's wrong with frightening the Religious Right? 😉

@Ozman nothing for real. But I don't hide what I think... And most don't touch the religious subject with me. I tell the truth and they go home praying ?

Tell me who the eye witnesses were. How long after Jesus was supposed to have lived did a creditable witness appear? My understanding is it was many years, even many decades!

Good luck

I don't bring it up in conversation unless someone else does first, but I am rather out on social media, etc, so anyone exposed to me there knows where I stand.

I'm sorry I have a cold - that was one of the non sequiturs in a John Cleese sketch!
In godless uk we just say "I'm an atheist" or 'thats for me to know and you to find ou't

I bring it up with friends and answer fairly if they ask why. I think it’s important they have a good example of an out atheist to counteract the strawman and lies.

I don’t. Well’ not right off the bat. I just talk and get along with people by not bringing up religion or politics til they do.

I just say I'm not religious. Saves the confrontational judgment. In this culture, you're still judged as immoral if you don't believe in their myths. But, it is getting better. The younger generation seems to be more objective.

I've spoken with a lot of fervent believers in a God, who say they believe in god but are not "religious". To them, belief is belief and religion is all the trappings...I tend to agree with that, though I don't actively believe in anything myself,

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:121
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.