Agnostic.com

806 60

How do you tell religious people that you're an atheist?

I live in America and am surrounded by Christians.
Whenever I talk about myself to religous people, I want to say ,"I am an atheist". Do you say that? Is there a better way?

Bingogwak 6 Sep 10

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

806 comments (351 - 375)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I wait til they ask me or make some comment - I told my right wing religious mother that I will never go into a nursing home, that I will hasten my death if I can't take care of myself. She said "If you do that you will not be allowed into heaven." I replied "I don't believe in heaven or hell. I am atheist." She was very surprised but did not cry or get angry. At 87 years old, she has become a bit more mellow.

SKH78 Level 8 Dec 20, 2017

I think you are being a bit hard on your mother. Cut her some slack.She wasn't responsible for how she was brought up and she seems to have had a modicum of intelligence.

This is just so not an issue here.

I never hide the truth, I just state that I am an Atheist, I state it as loud and clearly as the situation dictates/requires and defend my stance when and where ever necessary. Be proud to be an Atheist, Be honest about being an Atheist and NEVER surrender you convictions for anything or anyone.

Generally, other peoples beliefs are not important to me and don't impact my life. Their religion is none of my business as mine is not theirs. I do not go out of my way to tell someone I'm an atheist but if pressed I just say their beliefs are not mine or their god is not mine.

Here in Arkansas, I just keep my mouth shut.... I don't want to talk about something that'll just make no difference, and have people "pray" for me.... I don't have time for it.

Very firmly!!

We are all programmed to be in a box of conformity but I always tell the truth whether it benefits me at the moment or not. Each life has their own path and they are in their own transition towards our goal which is to be the Gods of our own earths. Its a slow process, but we are on our way, with many people waking up to the fake reality the media has forged for us. There is more light than darkness on our planet now and they evil will be in full disclosure, waking more people.

At least you use a small a. They like to depict "Atheist" (with a captial A) as being just another religion.

godef Level 7 Dec 22, 2017

I don't divulge that I'm Agnostic very often. When I do I tell people that I believe in morals and humanity but not the supernatural Jesus.
I'm super annoyed by Merry Christmas and the fallacy of a war on Christmas. I feel like responding to their "Merry Christmas" with "Happy Hannaka" or something just so these people realize that they are not the only ones who matter this time of year. Can't wait until Christmas is done with.

Usually only if they ask me directly.

I try to be completely myself, in all places, with all people. I stopped living a life of pretense about 10 years ago. So if the discussion comes up I never shy away from telling people that I am an atheist. I am also public about my secularism.

there is nothing more difficult than saying that in Arabian world and I was saying that. but first you have to know the person and show him that you are a good person.

I just say that I am an atheist

No. I generally tell them I’m agnostic, or, if they're selling their bs at my door, I tell them to go bother someone else.

I usually don't. I pick apart their logically fallacious arguments while letting them assume I'm just a bad Christian. Otherwise there is no talking to theists, or least no listening from them.

While rangering in the Uintas, I spoke to a backpacker who was obviously just off a LDS mission. He began his religious line, then I told him I was LDH; Church of Jesus H. Christ of Latter-day Hedonists. That shut him up, and I was able to squeeze in a little bit about "Leave No Trace" camping.

I have a problem with the word "Atheist". It is negative and too many religionist feel it is an 'in your face' term (like many of theirs). Languages change and often bring about a change in attitude. Look at the change in how people view the gays.

There are positive ways of expressing oneself. Instead of godless how about godfree? (same for childless - free). Not many people know of the "Brights" movement. It is an international, on-line group (my late partner - wife has too many possessive connotations - once did a Farsi (Iranian) review for them). A Bright (noun) is one who has a naturalistic world view; a 'super' has a supernatural world view. Look them up, there is a big following.

I often use the (don't remember who I stole this from) asuperstitionalist as I don't believe in baseless superstitions that can not be demonstrated with facts

i agree with people saying that you should hold off on telling people. let them get to know u before revealing this to them. also maybe even getting to know them and seeing if they seem mature enought to handle it would be good too. or hell sometimes even just keeping to yourself may be a better option

I'm an escapee from the bible belt. When I go back, I describe myself as a vegetarian atheist from California. That seems to elicit the understanding that I am very groovy (in spite of atheism)

I live in Texas so I don't broadcast my atheism but I will fess up when asked.

I don't tell them.

JayJ Level 1 Dec 24, 2017

I don't unless asked.

JayJ Level 1 Dec 24, 2017

I don't.
In the same way that I don't tell people I am heterosexual. 99% of the time it isn't relevant to our discussions. Should the conversation turn to religion, then I am comfortable in stating that I am an atheist - and then often then have to explain the difference between atheist and anti-theist as most religious people seem to think that if you don't believe there is enough evidence to believe there is a god, then you must believe that a god cannot exist.

A very common shifting the burden of proof scenario for Christians. This is what many faithful are taught in church. I am guessing we have the same definition of atheist (one that does not find sufficient evidence to support the god assertion) but how do you define Anti-theist? I define anti-theist as one that actively promotes the value of truth (things that can be demonstrated with evidence) over the dishonesty of presenting (faith) (belief without evidence) as an equal or superior methodology for determining truth.

My personal definition of anti-theist is one who actively state that gods do not and cannot exist.
In the strictest sense of the word, I am probably an anti-theist, in that I do not believe in the supernatural in any way. If the supernatural acts on reality in any way, then that action can be measured. Then, using the scientific method we can hypothesise a causal effect and then look at where our current understanding of reality needs changing and a new model formulated. At that point, the phenomenon is no longer supernatural as it will have a naturalistic explanation - therefore no god, or at least, no supernatural god.

Most of the time it is pointless trying to argue that (and I'm too lazy), so I just revert to "I don't believe you"

That I can well-tell where religions, gods came from... there are remnants, vestiges of their origins in various shamanic, animistic societies to date. That such belief and conviction systems likely devolved to explain scary natural phenomena... lightning, death... And to, yes, Control other people's lives and assets. That such systems have no attraction for me; in fact, I consider them a vexation of "the spirit", and encourage them to consider living their lives apart from such superstition.

I just tell people that I am god, and when I pray, I talk to myself.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:121
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.