Agnostic.com

806 60

How do you tell religious people that you're an atheist?

I live in America and am surrounded by Christians.
Whenever I talk about myself to religous people, I want to say ,"I am an atheist". Do you say that? Is there a better way?

Bingogwak 6 Sep 10

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

806 comments (751 - 775)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I generally don’t offer information about things I am not unless specifically asked. I wouldn’t tell someone I don’t believe in chiropractic practices just because they said they use one.

I would not say i'm an athiest. I believe in a "creator".....I just don't believe in the biblical god.....and Jesus and all that bullshit....."the lake of fire" satan......the list goes on and on....I do believe in reincarnation too. Stevenson did some great studies on that.

I don’t. I live my life an an example of a good and decent human being. When asked, I tell them the truth and most are a bit shocked. I point out examples of human misery and demise throughout history and ask them, “why”.

If they ask what denomination I am, I say "Oh, I'm not religious." If they press, I tell them that my parents are not religious and neither were my grandparents. I never set foot into a church until I attended a concert in one when I was a teenager. Most people leave it at that, some "judge" me with commentary. One of my students calls me a "heathen" tongue in cheek, I know he cares for me 🙂

I don't.
I may discuss my views with them if they ask, but I'm not going out of my way to label myself for anyone.

I tend to be blunt about it, if they wish me to except there faith, then they must except the fact that I don't have any

“Yo! I’m an atheist! Any questions?”

It is a .......well.........cross.........we have to bear. In my many years of being antitheist I have had to tell many people I am atheist. Usually, I just say I am atheist. What are you afraid of? You do not have the burden of defense. If you are lucky they will ask you questions and you will answer them cordially. If telling them has no benefit to you or it irrelevant then don't bother.

I live in the Philippines and as we know, this is a very devout catholic country because of the huge influenced by the Spaniards during their colonization here from 1565-1898. I am an agnostic, previously atheist well, if there is a better way to tell the religious people, I think we must explain to them clearly about our personal beliefs using the majesty of science. In other words, a very passionate rationalistic views.

Depending on what community you live in (rural, Bible Belt) you could lose your job by "coming out". I would advise caution. Americans view atheists with suspicion. If your job is secure, and you are in an urban area, then you can probably just say you are atheist, or secular with fewer problems.

Orbit Level 7 Dec 2, 2018

It often feels like a 'secret society' to me...where I wait for the other person to say they're an atheist before I "come out of the closet" as the expression goes......

Speak your mind and try variations. ..I THINK I don't believe. ...matters not the religionist query put 2 u .....I am a CAPITAL Atheist a noun not an adjective like xian

I most definitely BRANDISH my revolver Atheist pistol metaphor always hitting bullseyes on every dangling crucifix, Gideon bible in my motel socks drawer, lunar crescent muslim shador and skull cap stars of the capital of Palestine. ...I condemn the Scourge of Calcutta the dead never mom THERESA and the never existence of a single "saint" except the New Orleans top NFL qb best ever magically flexing his arm spiraling an oblique spheroid into the running hands of gloved heroic touchdown dancers. ....more talented than skeet shooters. ...until dictionaries PRINT RETRACTIONS and tell the truth that Atheism and Atheists are the only rational people amidst an ocean of deluded believers in boy bunnies laying candy eggs on dogshit lawns every year nut case Santa Claus survives an execution springtime Palestinian weekend fiction. ...I gotta say every time THE EMPEROR HAS NO CLOTHES. ..

I don't. If it comes up, then I tell them. I usually say that I don't believe in god. This time of year, I say, I don't celebrate the holidays.

I generally keep my mouth shut as I have a lot of religous friends.

I don't tell anyone, just keep it to myself.don't see any point letting everyone know. I am more if a closet atheist.

I believe spiritualy that there is something out there. Some form us energy that guides us in this life. To me death meens freedom.

I'm a spiritual person

When religious try to talk it to me...I ask, " How are things in the world of fantasy ?" Sorry, to me life is either reality or religion, absolutely cannot be both...

If the question comes up or when approached by <choose religion> door knockers.

I just don't bring it up. If I do, I simply say that I am secular or I say that I am unaffiliated. Then I leave it at that.

Personally I like to beat around the bush a little bit. I tell them that I'm a theist and don't believe in any deity.and if they know the definition of those two words I'll come out and say I'm an atheist. Remember they're the ones being dishonest they're asserting something to be true which is evidently not true, they're the ones being dishonest, I'm proud of the fact that I'm not ignorant and gullible enough to swallow all this supernatural nonsense.

No I don’t. There is no reason for me to label myself. It’s like politics, you can’t change people from who they are and there is no reason to convince them to change. I know who I am. That’s all that’s important.

Mist Level 1 Dec 22, 2018

No, you are doing it right, tell them you are an Atheist with pride and humility at same time: they tell us that nonsense all the time!

I usually let the conversation lead there in a somewhat natural way. Like if they say some religious expression or thought, I question it and point out fallacies until they think I either really, really love asking questions, or realize I must not believe in what they are saying.

I'm a religiously unaffiliated secular humanist free thinking skeptic.....by the time they unpack all that.....I'm already gone.

I like that approach.

I wear t-shirts with Athiest logo, science fiction etc. Then you start seeing true colors from people. I also wear t-shirt which says 'Science doesn't give a shit in what you believe in' and few other t-shirts like those. If someone comes to me asking me if I am an atheist, my job becomes simple and I just have to say 'Yes'. But theists mostly won't ask you if you are 'atheist' normally. It's for me normally an atheist or agnostic person who will easily find that I am an atheist. ?

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:121
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.