Agnostic.com

806 60

How do you tell religious people that you're an atheist?

I live in America and am surrounded by Christians.
Whenever I talk about myself to religous people, I want to say ,"I am an atheist". Do you say that? Is there a better way?

Bingogwak 6 Sep 10

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

806 comments (426 - 450)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I just say “I’m an atheist..” then wait for the shocked looks , eye rolls, lectures,and “well I’ll pray for you” to happen. As a general rule I find those reactions amusing, on occasion though, I have had folks lose their damn minds. It’s actually funny when I don’t bring it up , and the ever so annoying “well you know I’m CHRISTIAN..soooo.....” and my response? Oh, well I’m NOT. Either way , I don’t hide it , or hold back , however I don’t bring it up unless the subject of someone’s “religion “ comes up in conversation.

I wear an Atheist button I wear American Atheist shirts hats pendant tie pins the incomplete carbon orbit and pensee PANSY flower as our symbols. . If they ask anything I always say I am not religious ....if they start any religious shit I say your bigotry belongs in Bethlehem go there not spoiling our godless CONSTITUTION here

Unless I already know I'll assume that somebody I'm talking to is religious. of course I'd never tell anybody that I'm atheist, at least a strong atheist, as that would put me in a category alongside a theist in that neither could prove himself correct and the other wrong. being a humanist I don't bother to bring it up unless I'm asked in which case I'll explain hunmanism.

I don't. I lean more towards agnostic than atheist. But why bother? It isn't anyone else's business. If someone invites me to church I will tell them I am not a churchy. Few ask me why but if I'm asked I tell them I'm just not. I don't like being in groups of more than a handful and I really don't like being told what and how to believe. I have never been pushed any further than that.

AmyLF Level 7 Jan 17, 2018

You say “there is no god” and look at the horror/revulsion on their faces.

Usually, I just get told “merry Xmas” and I say “I don’t celebrate Xmas”. They usually assume I’m Jewish or Muslim. Which, here, is probably worse than being atheist.

I have a long white beard and dozens of idiot believers just walk up to me b4 and after xmas expecting me to explain Santa delivery mis-delivery. ....I say I treat the whole world the same we are all born Atheists and children should be protected from not brainwashed into any religion

When the discussion progresses to that point I ALWAYS reply "I find no evidence to support the assertion that there is a god." This places the burden of proof that there is a god in their lap. - - for a few I have seen this statement begins the process of questioning exactly why they believe in their god as, (with your guidance of establishing the rubric of testable evidence is) they can find not testable evidence to support their (specific) god claim.

@NoMagicCookie idiot say “the Bible is proof”. When you ask “where” they clam up.

I also live in the south. they call it" the bible belt"I just told a few of my friends n relatives. one of them a religious fanatic but sweet as can be, we are still talking we agree to disagree.

Nice to meet you brother! Praise the Lord! So you are a Christian? Yes, that's wonderful! I pretend that I'm a Christian but really I'm an atheist. Why do I do it? Just to suss them out and bag on them. Aaaahahahaha! fun, right????? No, but really, you're not really a Believer are you? It's not like I'm going to crucify you if you are... I just think it's funny, but it's all good. But seriously your wife is your property, right? Can I like rent her? I like to just continue until I see tears.....

Say, "Atheist," with pride. I do. I had to tell a couple of whom I will be babysitting for, and, they asked about my, "Beliefs." I was actually told by another Mom whose son I babysit that she was told, "You know she's an Atheist." I was so disappointed. Like, I was going to apologize. No way. I told the couple that I will not be embarrassed. Or, ashamed. I couldn't be.

I have found most theists have no idea what an atheist (one that finds insufficient evidence to support a god assertion) is. I have run into theists that think atheist believe in the devil and perform blood rituals. Seriously.

That is so embarrassing. They are too ignorant to do research.

Basically I'm truthful about my beliefs. I have such a strong core value system and really understand myself very well so I'm not going to tip for around reality just to appear to be pc.

Actually, I simply say, "yeah, I'm agnostic." and then I let the fuuur fly! 😉

Sadoi Level 7 Jan 19, 2018

I'm sorry you are besieged. ....keeping xians out of your face is different from attracting other Atheists out of their closets amidst the clamor....a roll of the dice. ....there is no magic path to freedom FROM RELIGION. ... the most tacit yet symbolic invitation to other Atheists IS TO WEAR A PANSY pensee' flower or metal pin the global symbol of KNOWLEDGE not belief. ...an American Atheist Orbit symbol is a carbon atom design with the center electron path chopped at the bottom resembling a cursive A with block letter A affixed as the nucleus. ....my personal favorite is a no parking button red slash and circle over the gibberish sound "god"....I always say: " I am NOT religious I am a scientist I am an Atheist if asked belief questions. ...quote Mark Twain : " faith is believing what ya know ain’t so "

Don't bother, it is none of their business. Why discuss a topic based on childish fairy tales ?

When they ask me about anything relating to religion I simply give them a wink and a smile.

I just tell the truth. I'm an atheist. When I get the questions about who I believe in I just tell them look, there is no god, no devil, no heaven, no hell, there is just this earth we live on and we need to take care of it and each other. When they pick their chins up from the floor we either go on about our business or sometimes I find a new friend.

Why can,t we follow the family tree off any of the main characters in that bible ( part deux) for those who don,t speak french "part 2" well okay I mean christian simple question right?

Normally I try to avoid 'religion' confrontations but if I am pressed I will tell them that they do not realize what they are getting themselves into and if they persist I will verbally crucify them!!!

"I don't share your faith."

I tell them "I wasted time in church every Sunday because afterward my mom would take me and my son out for a steak dinner and dessert. I never turn down a free meal." I feel that pretty much makes my point.

I look them in the eye and tell them in a casual voice, like it's no big deal. They usually look at me funny but nothing else is said about it. If I don't make a big deal, usually they don't either.

I don't go for shock factor but there is a certain satisfaction in waiting until a person knows you before you tell them. The first response I usually get is, "You seem like such a nice lady!" and I reply, "I AM a nice lady." Most of my family and friends know I'm atheist. Many of my co-workers do also. I don't like to lie about who I am.

I kind of agree. I have reached a point in my life where I have very little tolerance for those whose minds have been corrupted to believe (faith) (belief without evidence) has superior or equal footing with things that can be demonstrated to be correct (scientific method). I have gotten into the habit of in the beginning of any social relationship - land-blasting potential social encounters with such arguments to assert my position as one that does not depend of superstition to dictate my understanding of the word.

Get friends that don't judge. Some of my best friends are very religious and some are atheist. I live near a major city and people just don't care.

Also, I just say I'm not religious. Never be rude or insulting.

Don't bother

Just don't tell them to 'Go to Hell.' LOL

I say I believe in the ancient Chinese creation myths that have been debunked but I don't care. lol

Geoff Level 5 Jan 26, 2018
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:121
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.