Agnostic.com

806 60

How do you tell religious people that you're an atheist?

I live in America and am surrounded by Christians.
Whenever I talk about myself to religous people, I want to say ,"I am an atheist". Do you say that? Is there a better way?

Bingogwak 6 Sep 10

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

806 comments (526 - 550)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

When I tell anyone I am an atheist they argue with me. Try to convert me to their views. It's not going to happen. I have been thru too many religions on my search. Been baptised 3 times, in three different religions. It is impossible to believe their dogma.

I usually don't, it isn't any of their business.

Honestly, I think it depends on the setting, if it’s a stranger or a loved one, & if you’re in a situation where you could lose your job or something like that. If everything is in the right circumstance, sure! But if you could risk an important relationship or a job opportunity, I’d say no. But if you’re comfortable saying it, I would try to make it not sound like an attack. But don’t sound ashamed either. Make it sound like you’re talking about the weather. Their reaction is less likely to be over the top if you do it that way. & if they don’t like it, well. That sucks for them. You deserve to be happy, your lack of conviction of whether a god exists shouldn’t be a precursor to that.

It depends on the situation. Think about it as a combat sitituation and be strategic. There are times when it could hurt your job, your family or your kids in school. etc. This is the world we live in.

I don't.

I don't say anything as it's none of their business, just as I don't ask them.
I do however harass street preachers..

You don't have to. It'll come out eventually and it'll be relatively easy.

Adi98 Level 4 Mar 13, 2018

You don't have to. It'll come out eventually and it'll be relatively easy.

Adi98 Level 4 Mar 13, 2018

I usually tell them that if I walked into their church, I would burst into flames. Of course, they are more likely to believe such rubbish than I am. Since I have not burst into flames in a church, I have deduced that there is no God or or I am not worthy of his attention. 99% of the time my beliefs or lack thereof don't constitute a problem with anyone, because they see that I life a good, moral life and treat people well.

I say, "I'm an atheist" and no one cares because I am English

I don't. I tell them I'm agnostic. But it's usually if they are coming on too thick. And if they try to protolyze me... well, that just depends on what kind of mood I’m in. Sometimes I’ll go for it, other times I’m a bit more subdued.

I just say “I’m an Atheist” how they deal with it is not my problem. I am from a religious family, and my father was a Bishop, yet I didn’t have issues letting them know. I am sure it bothers them that my kids aren’t baptized though.

I don't. If they are family/friends then they already know. If they aren't, it isn't their business.

I do not cast pearls before swine.

It works: most people I say that to just say 'oh right ' But then the U.K is pretty godless, if they start to try to convert me or say they'll pray for me then I just get off. Lifes too short.

I rarely offer up my beliefs first. If I am specifically asked, I tell people I'm not religious.

K8TE Level 5 Mar 21, 2018

I rarely get into a situation where this is an issue. I think that in the UK being an atheist is considered by most to be a valid choice. I don't know so many people who are devoutly religious I suppose. 30 years ago I went out with a girl who was "born again" and whose family were churchgoers. That didn't go well. Since then I've avoided similar situations. But if anyone asks I would just say I'm an atheist or that I don't believe in any god, and if they want to discuss it further my attitude is pretty much, "live with it".

I don't worry about it. If our acquaintance is short, they don't need to know. If we become friends it will come out naturally in due time.

It isn't a bomb to drop on a first date... Or is it? Why not be up front? "Here is who I am. Take it or leave it. Love it or shove it."

That way, nobody feels like they wasted their time, and nobody gets their heart broken.

Simple is best but I think if they are that relisious you need to say it whilst walking or jumping on to a moving bus because the lecture will surely follow you all teh days and ways of your life.

I say I am secular and agnostic.

How do you tell religious people that you're an atheist?

Hi, I'm Robert. I'm an atheist.

When people tell me their religion, I just say I am not that or I am not religious. I am not looking for a discussion, an argument.

It seems a lot of people are inclined to not mention their being atheist to people until they get to know them well. I feel this is too cautious and it puts everyone else's belief on a pedastol. I think that's detrimental to oneself and the careful rise of atheism in the world. I, by no means, immediately volunteer that information, but I like to be somewhat open and 21st century about it. If you can't share something that important with a potential friend or significant other, then it's not a relationship you need in your life. Lol You can only be you. You know?

I don't know. I'm Australian and I live in Australia. As far as I can tell, it's a lot harder to be a non-believer in the US than here. Religion is not mainstream here, so in most social settings I am comfortable to fly my agnostic freak flag.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:121
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.