Agnostic.com

806 60

How do you tell religious people that you're an atheist?

I live in America and am surrounded by Christians.
Whenever I talk about myself to religous people, I want to say ,"I am an atheist". Do you say that? Is there a better way?

Bingogwak 6 Sep 10

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

806 comments (326 - 350)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I don't kno what guys do, but as a woman I get to just to roll my eyes.

The simplest response is "why are you a Christian/Jew/Muslim," and the normal reply is either a rehearsed line or a dumb look.

I’m usually as honest and polite about it as possible. I’m an atheist. If that offends them, that’s just too bad, especially since religious people are pretty diligent about expressing themselves in a highly invasive manner. There is definitely nothing wrong with simply and politely announcing I’m an atheist. If they express concern, I’ll say something along the lines of, “Well, I’m sorry you feel that way. I am who I am. Have a nice day.” If I’m feeling more energetic and funny, I might mess with them a little, particularly if they’re being obnoxious with their religion... 😉

I don't, unless I am pressured to state my thoughts. I'm not into unnecessary conflict and it does create conflict.

I tell them I'm a secular humanist. That usually generates a kind of blank stare and the conversation can move on to topics that actually may be someone else's business.

I just tell them that I don't want to be associated with what now commonly passes for Christianity.

I say quite loudly, "I am a heretic", I was raised as a Christian but chose to believe in reality instead. The word "Heretic" seems to really throw people.

I live in a very rural fundamentalist Baptist area and I live alone on a farm so the one thing I do not do here is tell people my true beliefs because I can about guarantee my place will be vandalized if I do.

I don't until asked. Then handle it from there I don't lie about it. But as someone who sprinted the last 35 years defending the freedom to believe what they want I ask them to extend me the same courtesy.

I really feel sorry for you people. Stay strong. Believe what you believe.

I generally wait for them to bring it up. I don't get to the point right away, but eventually I will tell them if they ask enough questions. I like to make people feel comfortable around me before I shock them with my beliefs.

I'm very matter of fact about it. If it comes up. I don't lead with it, but it's part of my identity so I don't keep it in a closet. I'm like, oh, youre Catholic. I'm an atheist. Like volunteering my ancestors are from Ireland. Next.

jmott Level 3 Dec 18, 2017

I am not an atheist I'm not agnostic I'm an Orthodox Jew

I just don't feel the need to tell people anything like that.I'm in the UK though and there isn't much of a religious movement here.

I don't usually tell them unless someone asks, luckily I don't live in the bible belt so it wouldnt come as a shock to most people, as I think there are more like me than not. I do wear a nice dainty sterling silver " A" pendant but no one has asked about it except for a very good friend, who us ultra catholic (she is from texas if that tells you anything, although shes not in your face religious) I was a bit worried about upsetting her as I heard that she's praying for me (yikes) I told her the pendant was for my middle name. Not sure if she knew I was lying, but she said nothing. I will tell her later the truth, but hey, catholics are used to being lied to anyway so how is my lie any different!

I politely say I am a nontheist, and if I have to, I walk away.

won't say a word but keep looking at them with a strange made up smile.
they will crawl away like a crab

I live in the Bible Belt so I'm far more comfortable telling people that I'm a Unitarian Universalist. The overwhelming majority of people have no idea what that is. And I could give a very basic vague definition.

We once had a tiny atheist organization in town. Several years ago most decided they would try out the "Unitarian Chruch" to increase the size of the social group. I followed the group to the Unitarian church only once. While there I had a long and adversarial discussion with two of the church’s Unitarians (they were members and held paid positions in the church) who also happened to be theists adhering to the Jewish faith. I was not polite and forced them to defend (Judges 11:29-40) in short, Jephthah kills and Burns His (virgin) daughter to fulfil his promise to Yahweh. And yes, they both defended the morality of their god having Jephthah burn his daughter because their god likes the smell of burning flesh.

@NoMagicCookie that sucks. For the most part I found u.u to be great. In raleigh our minister was an agnostic, the associate minister was pagan. Most of the congregation didn't give a shit what anyone believed. We have no crosses or bibles in our church .

@Kojaksmom Think it was Jen Peoples on The atheist experience (worth watching most all episodes) did a very good review of UU. It is long, well reasoned, and for the most part concluded UU is not a positive influence.

@NoMagicCookie I'm sure that's true for some. I found some atheist to be the biggest assholes that I've ever met. I found other atheists that are the most amazing people. If your church makes you feel like s*** it's not the right one. There are reasons why I appreciate the Unitarian Fellowship in Raleigh.so far I've been really happy with it. And no I do not believe in God or the bible and I hate most organized religions.

I only say something if they bring it up. Given that I work in a scientific field, I'm lucky in that most of the people I interact with on a daily basis are also atheists or agnostic, so despite being in the Bible Belt, its rare for my atheism to come up in a conversation with a theist.

Now, in those scenarios where I am conversing with a theist and a religious topic comes up, I don't mock or belittle them and I don't cut in "well, I'm an atheist, so...". I simply share my thoughts on the topic at hand and it becomes rather quickly apparent that I'm not a believer.

I do not push my beliefs on others.

Only if someone asks directly will I mention it. Otherwise, it's my own personal belief, and I have no business pushing it on others.

I found if it comes up it's easiest to just say I'm an atheist. If I skirt around it or sound like I'm "only doubtful" I'll get an earful of how god loves you and don't worry god has a plan. Atheist seems to make people go quiet right away.

Unless they come at me with "I am a Christian (or Jew or Muslim or whatever)", I don't feel it necessary to make it part of my "getting to know me" spiel. Really, don't most people just exchange names and jobs and talk about families and whatnot? If they are that aggressive that they have to introduce themselves with their religious belief, then just do it back. Otherwise, if it eventually comes up in conversation, then just say it. Theists have no problem stating their religion, or where they attend church, etc. Why should you?

I just usually say I have no religion and no gods if I do not know the people. I only use the word Atheist with people I know. All my friends and family know my views (most of my family is super religious). I cannot believe the stigma behind that word in the US.

I use to announce it, back when I felt smart about it. But most people don't see it as an intellectual development. They see it as spiritual corruption. Nowdays, I don't say it in a bragging manner anymore.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:121
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.