Agnostic.com

806 60

How do you tell religious people that you're an atheist?

I live in America and am surrounded by Christians.
Whenever I talk about myself to religous people, I want to say ,"I am an atheist". Do you say that? Is there a better way?

Bingogwak 6 Sep 10

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

806 comments (176 - 200)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Generally, I avoid the word "atheist." Too much baggage; I often just have to explain exactly what I mean anyway, so why bother with the label that's more likely to get a negative response in people. My go to phrase is to say that I'm not a "person of Faith." It's broad, so I have to unpack it, but it's relatively inoffensive (something I find important when trying to change someone's mind), and it gets to the heart of my personal beliefs.

Don't non of there concern

I ask them why they subscribe to a supremacist ideology that has it's roots in a middle eastern death cult, rather than tell them I'm an atheist.

I usually just tell them I'm not religious. I let them figure the rest of it out on their own.

JimG Level 8 Nov 6, 2017

I don't just go around and advertise like all the religious bible thumpers do
If comes up and they start talking about there relious believes i kindly say "o im Athiest"
So no need 2 pray or tell me what ur religion is about and how i don't believe in god
U ever notice when religious ppl find out ur an Athiest they try talking u into believing in god and dorce there religion onto us

If they ask I tell them. I try not to mingle with them.

I find that people get more antagonistic when I make fun of astrological idiocy then when I tell them I don't believe in god(s).

if asked, I say: I am godless; a heathen; have no belief in God's (plural), anymore than I believe in fairies, goblins and such. Have always been this way. My parents, sibs all a of bunch of heathens too. If, that goes over well. Which often does. And they ask if that means I am Atheist? I say YES, emphatically so! Of course, I am smiling and allowing the person or persons to take it all in, without having to feel defensive. If, they become defensive, I become offensive. Then might say something like: please Don't pray for me, and keep All that dumb ass dog dodo to yourself. Don't want any of it!!!

Plmc Level 1 Nov 7, 2017

If they ask, I say don't believe in God or Jesus. If it's an issue, no worries. Move along. I dated a great girl who's whole family were very religious. Her father is a pastor. He accepted me completely, we often had long discussions about it, and he understood my point of view and never tried to convert me. He was one of those cool hippie kinda religious guys.

As a matter of fact, when anyone attempts to shove religion down my throat, I spit it out ASAP. End of story.

I don't. I smile nod and talk about sports scores.

Same question is mine but I think we can explore us by discussing on social site like Facebook and Twitter or any other but if the government makes a role and give certificate then it’s will be really easy

I only bring it up if they ask, simple because it seems like then that's all they focus on. Like I am ONLY my belief, not the sum of parts

I usually just say something deeply critical (sometimes even something derogatory) of whatever religion they adhere to & let them figure it out.

They tend to figure it out just by listening and watching me.

I don't, its no one's business. On the other hand, if I am forced to reveal I usually say "I don't agree with any religious views.

Im a Atheist . Easyt way .

" More power to you. I don't personally believe in God. To each their own. " I don't think iv had anyone disagree with me when I say that.

I usually say "I'm sorry, but I am not superstitious" because I want them to know that condescending "God bless you" is falling on really barren ground.

I dont! I avoid them like the plague!

I tell people that I certainly respect them but I personally do not follow their line of religious beliefs. That I have devoted too much of my life and time to allow myself to believe in something that has too much evidence to the contrary.
I also reiterate that religious and spiritual beliefs are extremely personal and that even their own Christian beliefs tell them that their relationship with god is between the two of them

At first I try to be polite and inform them I do not share their views and do not believe in a supreme being or religion. Should they persist I tell them I have up on my imaginary friends when I was 5

Question not asked, response not given. However, if someone does ask (and that is very, very seldom) I have no qualms about giving them the right answer; not the answer they would like to hear. In the apartment next to mine, there is a group of four LDS kids on their mission. I have them over on every other Wednesday and we engage in amicable conversations of religion and leadership. Thus far, there has not been any type of disrespect from either side. My children (15 & 17) are also free-thinkers and they enjoy having the LDS kids over. As a matter of fact, my children remind me to invite them over. As with these LDS kids, I do not hide my being a free-thinker. Closets are for clothes, not for people!!!

When asked which religion I practice I say "None, I am an Atheist."

The question is; How is that anyone's business except your own? I do not require or expect anyone to reveal their religion to me. If it is pertinent to the discussion, I say, " I am an atheist". I do not require approval or sanction.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:121
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.