Agnostic.com

806 60

How do you tell religious people that you're an atheist?

I live in America and am surrounded by Christians.
Whenever I talk about myself to religous people, I want to say ,"I am an atheist". Do you say that? Is there a better way?

Bingogwak 6 Sep 10

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

806 comments (301 - 325)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I would go for 'Well I used to be religious, but I wanted to live a more ethical life so I became an athiest' You're welcome

I don't know how old this post is? But I have to tell you what I say to them. If they ask or if they start ranting on how sweet their Jesus is. I tell them. "Hey I'm an Atheist and I don't believe in that bullshit." Okay I don't swear to get my point across, but I let them know directly.

Only when they bring up religion or spirituality first. Then I say something polite like "Jesus H. fucking Christ on a goddam pogo sitck. Another religious idiot". I'm a very subtle guy.

Mainly I will tell them that I don't believe in the existence of 'Any' "God/s", because I've never found 'Any' credible evidence that would lead me to believe that 'Any' of those "God/s" factually exist in Reality.

I usually claim parody religions like Dudeism and Pastafarianism.

Yes, I explain that I was raised by hippies and religion was never part of my life. And that I've never needed it. Then I tell them that when I studied History of Religion in college, I was most likely to become a Buddhist. It shuts them up pretty quick.

Nina Level 4 Dec 12, 2017

Buddhist baby! The only things that makes any sense to me.

Sometimes I say I am a Taoist, which is for me an acceptable guide for living.

In order to avoid arguments, I say nothing. I nod, or say, hummm

Actually I don't even bother explaing myself. I don't expect people to understand what I think. People are just so used to knowing what they have been taught since the very beginning of there life's. They are afraid of change. Change just means something better is out there. People are programmed to believe that the political, religious and educational people want them to believe. By giving them comfort, rules and regulation. Forming in there minds there view of reality.

I usually let it happen naturally in conversation. I recently moved out of the bible belt and feel more comfortable with it now, but I don't just tell anyone. I have used it to get a few particular people to leave me alone in the past 😉

The only time I talk to religious people about my beliefs is when the Jehovah's Witness come knocking on my door????

I've considered myself an atheist for many years now but never really came out and said it. Close friends suspected it but we respect each other's beliefs.

If someone would ask I typically just told them that I'm not religious. In the past couple years though, I just come out and say that I'm atheist or don't believe in God. Especially if they are clearly the type who would find that immoral or wrong.

I don't go around randomly telling people what I do or do not believe. If they don't bring it up, I don't either.

I don't usually say that. I don't care a lot for labels. We all categorize everything, but the longer we can avoid it, I think, the more open we can be to other people, ideas, ways of thinking, etc. I usually first try to find out what's meaningful to them, then, if they are interested or inquire about me, I look for commonalities first. If they press, I'll not claim a belief in god, but I will still tend to not use the word atheist... unless I want to end the conversation really quickly. 🙂

In the first place, I don't bring it up, but as you said, we are surrounded by christians and they all seem to want to convert you to their type of christian. When they ask me about my church, I tell them that I am a spiritualist and that I get more comfort from looking at the clouds, a river, or any other random pattern than being told that no matter what I do, I will burn for eternity because I won't follow my shepherd to the slaughter house.

i tell them i don't believe in any gods, its very easy. and nobody has a problem with it. to tell you the truth its not something that often comes into conversation. maybe living in the uk without religion is easier than the fromwherever you are

I tend to allow conversation to be the light in the tunnel. At some point I will mention I'm a raging atheist.

Side note: I also tend to inform an individual that the only thing that separates them and me is the belief in a single deity. Otherwise, we believe the other 99.9% don't exist together.

Unfortunately, I simply typically don't.

I talk about aspects of religion like can god learn, 50ft angel/human hybrids, but without certainty, I don't state personal religious beliefs (even if none) without reason. My parents are religious for example and they don't know. They'll know sometime before I'm married but I'm not taking the risk quite yet.

I laugh hysterically when they start talking about their belief system.

Laugh at them?

I don't go around and announce it to everyone but if it comes up and they ask me, I'll be honest.

Stay in the moment. Look at who you are informing. How far do you want this info to go? Is now the time to out myself? What purpose does it serve? Should I remain silent instead of my desire to open this door? Lots of reasons too. Lots of reasons not too. Good luck.

In casual social encounters, I usually don't, b/c that just leads down a long, ugly road. If it is someone I know and respect, I roughly outline what I think about reality (this usually comes up by comparing tattoos lol.) I only pause on the atheist part when I am explaining how certain I am that the christian god of western culture is based on tribal myths and superstition, a remnant that has stubbornly remained part of our culture.

I have no problem saying I’m an atheist. If they don’t ever meet any of us, they will continue to think we are very few. Plus they need to see that we are in fact nice and normal people. Just a little more intelligent than they are. But it’s not their fault, 🙂

Tell them directly and unequivocally I am an atheist or I am a non-believer.

MattW Level 6 Dec 15, 2017
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:121
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.