Agnostic.com

806 60

How do you tell religious people that you're an atheist?

I live in America and am surrounded by Christians.
Whenever I talk about myself to religous people, I want to say ,"I am an atheist". Do you say that? Is there a better way?

Bingogwak 6 Sep 10

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

806 comments (576 - 600)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

By saying "I am Atheist".

I get a pretty good response if I bring it up in the middle of a noncombative and/or interesting conversation. I kinda compare it to hitting a bump on the road. When religious stuff comes up I'll say something like, "I don't do religion" or "I'm not religious at all". The worst reaction I've gotten is a people walking off or changing the subject.

I wear a shirt that says Atheist. The conversation is over before it happens.

It's a matter of personal safety for me to remain "in the closet" with my lack of belief. I would lose my job, and would never be asked to play music with some of the greatest musicians around here. I have shared my lack of belief with my closest friends and members of my band. I shared it with my Mother, Brothers and sisters. That did not go well. I've been disowned. My sister said that I can't mention the name Jesus since I don't believe. On Facebook, my religion states, "not religious". If I were to go further, my life would change. Western North Carolina foothills is a place that it's best to keep your secrets.

Polly Level 4 Apr 19, 2018

Wow! I can't imagine that. It's weird seeing you having to "come out" as a non believer. There is no stigma here at all and you could never be fired for being an atheist.. (Australia)

@Shreditor1960 This country is free and a very nice place to live, but since the election of Trump and before. . . . Nationalism and religion have come out of the woodwork. I live in a part of America called the Bible belt. 10 churches are within 1 mile of me. Trump supporters everywhere. I dare not say what I believe or I will regret it. A time will come as soon as the young people are older that may change things, but it will be slow. And, you can certainly be fired here with another reason other than atheism. But the atheism will be the real reason.

@kozmic How do you embrace your oddballness. I feel like people think I'm "weird or strange". I isolate because of it. I'm trying to remember I'm unique and other's opinion do not matter but sometimes it's so hard. (To be commenting or actually posting is a major step for me.)

Polly, in your circumstances, you are bravely doing a lot. What you are able to do may make a difference for others.

@tendaheart2 I just love who I am. When people find out, they usually try to convert me. I can not be converted. I just look at them and laugh. . . . and say "Nice try". Mostly I am not invited to the "Reindeer games". It's as if my nose shines red and as I walk into the room, I am accompanied by Satan himself. LOL It's all good. I brought my kids up to either believe or not. 1 believes, 1 doesn't know what to believe, the other 2 are with me all the way. They saw what religion did to my parents. Not going to happen to me. It's just a matter of respect.

Honest, I try not to discuss religion with religious people. I don't back off if they instigate the conversation but many times I cut them off or change the subject. It is becassue to me it is irrational and not worth it to argue against irrational views. As long as they don't interfere with my freedoms let them have their faith, after all it isn't a perfect world and years of experience teaches you you aren't going to change them. If change comes it will be on their terms within them...or not.

I rarely have to say it outright. I'm openly tolerant of gay people, liberal, in my 20's and enjoy talking about topics that do not support a biblical world view (evolutionary biology, anthropology, psychology, religious history, normative ethics, ect). Pretty much everyone I've meet in the last few years have been able to figure it out themselves without a direct announcement.

They usually guess when I tell them to fuck off with that bullshit.

Not for me. I don't tolerate their nonsense.

It depends on if the subject comes up. I don't usually bring it up with someone until I know them quite well. Some of my best friends and my wife are religious. On the other had, I went to a class reunion and a classmates spouse started "witnessing" to me. He started to tell me about being "saved" and I interrupted him with "That's too bad."

I say - "I'm an atheist" Or I'll say I playing for the other team - that confuses people though. 🙂

Just tell them, if they judge you then they are a waste of your time anyways.

Personally, I only bring it up if the subject comes up. People make assumptions on all sorts of things, including religion. If it doesn't come up, what do I care if they think I'm religious. I've actually found sometimes that it works in my favor, in that they get to know me before knowing I'm atheist. I've actually had someone, upon finding out I was atheist after a couple of years of assumptions, say with surprise, "But you're so moral." It led to quite an interesting conversation about the roots of morality without spirituality.

Point being, IMHO, it doesn't need to be brought up unless it comes up and is relevant to the conversation at hand.

I've tended to avoid declaring it initially. Bad experience with judgmental prostelyzation. I do understand the inclination though. I figure I need them to know me a little typically before I divulge.

It's interesting how invasive religion is in American lives. No family I know ever says grace. Even the older generations. It just isn't part of the Australian way of life. Most Aussies are indifferent or atheist. The majority now claim no religion. So the issue of Atheism rarely comes up.

We are a secular nation tolerant (mostly) of all beliefs.

Regardless of how long I've known someone, my view of them goes down when I find out they have a faith based hamster on a wheel going on in their head.

I generally don't mention my atheism unless it's necessary.

From my experience religious people are so judgemental

I agree with you . Also they are old fashion and greedy.

Depends who's asking. The answer can range anywhere from "mind your own business" to "are we really getting into this AGAIN?" Mostly I just say "I'm not religious" and leave it at that.

Mostly, I say "Know what? I make it a rule to never, EVER discuss religion."

@LucyLoohoo - Also good for all but the closest family and friends.

Hi Polly - So what keeps you in a place you are not comfortable about showing who you really are?

Gently with a smile.

razz Level 3 Apr 25, 2018

I guess it all depends on how close that person is close to you. For the most part because I'm the one who seldom if ever bring up the topic. If they are people that I am meeting for the first time and they have no effect on my life, I just say that I'm a non-believer. If they persist I just tell them ,first politely, that I am not interested in their religious belief.

If they are aggressive in persisting to tell me their belief than I feel I can go on the offensive and tell them how ridiculous their belief are and I never feel guilty because they felt their belief is more important than mine to me and that's disrespectful.

As far as my family is concern they know that I'm not a believer.

When I have people come to my door and ask me if I believe in Jesus, I say, "Yes, historically." Usually they do not take offense, yet they understand that I do not "believe."

No there was no Jesua Nasoret nor "christ" crucified. ... it is all a fake story morphed from Roman soldier MITHRA cults....bragging a mommy is a virgin is similar to "slew 42 thousand with the jawbone of an ass" bible bragging does not make any story true just as zero alleged gawds exist the non-word is pure gibberish ....a referent without object the alleged god/s YHWH Jehovah GhostHoles Geebush is are 100% irrational delusion inside the heads of cult victims

@GreenAtheist I am really curious...You say there is no historical evidence that "Jesus" lived? I thought there were a lot of eye witnesses. Am I wrong? Is there something I am not seeing? (By the way, I went to 12 years of Catholic school, so my sense of history is not too good.)

@DevraisA1 Romans left copious records of political trials and crucifixions.....the so called gospels are at least 90 years after the alleged "fact" and all contradict each other. ...surviving a crucifixion would be a great miracle and awesome news. ...waiting a century or more to tell such a long chain of magic tricks is complete bullshit.....most religious writings from India to Egypt over 600 years are copycat bragging bullshit like virgin birth and stars foretelling great predictions. ...all bullshit .....we Atheists for 28 centuries have been "just saying no" to temple prostitutes and unarmed sages. ..."Atheos" means stuff your alleged gawds up your ass. ...I am free not a believer of any kind

At this time, I don't say anything about my personal beliefs. However, I'm making progress. How?
I no longer tell people "I'll pray for them" especially in situations where they're asked for. Instead, I tell family and friends and even strangers I'll be thinking of them or I'm sending positive thoughts and vibes their way. If point blank asked, I say that I don't believe there's some guy in a white robe up in the sky waving a magic staff deciding one person will get cancer and another will win the lottery. We all have control of our own lives. [BTW, I'm from Georgia (USA) so my actions are considered blasphemous.]

That's what I do too. I don't say that I pray for them. Ive since heard from a Budhist that prayer is having positive intentions for someone. We could say we pray and mean that. However, they will think that we mean it in the traditional sense. So, unless we define it for them, we would be promoting their views.

Most of the people I work with are christians. By sharing my personal beliefs as a non christian to several that I like, I soon picked up the vibe from others that this info spread like wild fire. I can tell as they look at me and judge me they have singled me out as some kind of nut case. It's so condescending as they talk about attending bible studies, baptisms, lent, etc, etc. If I were to talk about attending women's choice marches or atheist meetings ....well you can just imagine. Many like myself have to stay underground. I'm more open about my beliefs now but still have to listen to their nonsense while biting my tongue. I'm hoping in generations to come this will change. I am seeing more progressive thinking with millenials and this gives me hope!!

I'm with you, 2much....times ARE changing, atheist ARE ''coming out" in huge numbers and there are many resources open to us...THIS one, for example! I'm sorry your co-workers give you the figurative ''fish eye,'' but stand up & smile! TELL THEM ABOUT THE MARCHES! Smile some more. (I'll bet you could find some like-minded groups of people online. Have you tried?)

That's my experience at work. That's why I tell them I'm Jewish.

This is so beyond my experience. Nobody, well, the vast majority, talks about religion over here, let alone expects to, or makes assumptions about others. And no-one ever asks. I can sit in the pub with a few mates and we can roundly take the piss out of all things religious, and no-one bats an eyelid. Even in Ireland, I can take the piss out of the church (Catholic) and priests, and get nothing more than sage nods, or even people joining in!

I really feel for you, and the rest of you, having to bite your tongues, and generally slink around, socially. The land of the free? Hmmmm!

If we are all identifying our religious identity, I tell them whatever flavor Im feeling most like that day (atheist, agnostic, secular humanist, etc.). If that hasnt come up, I don't tell them. If they make a comment like they assume that I agree with their religious view, and I dont, I may ask questions about their assumptions or make a comment asking them to reflect on why they think that way.

People I know well on a personal level, all know I'm an atheist.

I simply say that I am an Atheist.

There is not better way-why should there be!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:121
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.