Agnostic.com

806 60

How do you tell religious people that you're an atheist?

I live in America and am surrounded by Christians.
Whenever I talk about myself to religous people, I want to say ,"I am an atheist". Do you say that? Is there a better way?

Bingogwak 6 Sep 10

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

806 comments (101 - 125)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

What I believe is NONE of their business. Unless someone is specifically interested in me and my beliefs... 99% of religious people want to TELL you their religion, not learn about yours.

Just had two stop by to take a survey on spirituality from a nearby church. Simply told them my spirituality is none of their church's business.

Waterwolfie! Yes ! Exactly. They'll go on and on about their "walk with the lord and other holy crap ! I don't want to be rude or mean. Why do they think its ok to drool their beliefs all over me? It's qawdawful !!!

I need to tell you about my religion if you don't believe what I believe you go to hell!! I better tell you that I'm a hypocrite I enjoy this shit it's fun keep my mind off life

I just say it no shame here.

all of my wife's family are very religious so I pretty much keep it to myself, if any one were to ask I would not deny it though

I had some Mormons come to the door, and told them that I was an evolutionary biologist (which is partially true). That was a short conversation.

Guess I don't have enough points to actually write a response yet. That's too bad because I've read a few of your posts. Let;s see if this one goes through.

HAHA! Zany 🙂

You have a very important job!

I don't believe in any gods, I only believe in things that can be proven. I am not superstitious and I do not think any religions are true.

If they ask me, I tell them. They like the brainwashing, I like thinking for myself.

I am non delusional

I like this as it reminds me of saying "non-denominational" so that they enquirer may double-take at the reply.

lolz Ronald 🙂

It's my favourite, I've used it many times. 🙂

PERFECT.!!! Thank you !

I usually will wait to be asked if I am religious. Then I will say no. If I want to tell someone I am not religious, I would probably say, "Personally, I don't believe in religion", and if they ask me why I will explain. It shouldn't be a problem for you to be able to express your point of view if they are allowed to express theirs.

I explain that I am a humanist and have no belief in god. People naturally want to "save" you to tell you why they believe. I find firm believers often have a story, a very pursuesive story that helps them rationalize their beliefs. I do not care if others believe and I am not focused on changing their belief system. I let others know this and that if they ask, I explain why I do not believe in a god. I don't try, but I think I set a good example of being "good without god" - that the constructs of "morality" do not start with faith, but a knowledge of how to perpetuate the human race. But even then - that is all subjective. I personally am a humanist - I "believe" in furthering the human species, as well as all other species, on this planet in a sustainable and responsible way - not all atheists or agnostic people "believe" in these ideals. I think overall, you need to be able to have confidence and security in your beliefs. I recently had a great conversation with a former-Yugoslavian region war survivor at my work who firmly believes in god as he is alive due to god's intervention and now lives in a beautiful area in the US. His children are very well off and he is "blessed". He asked me about my faith and I was honest - he initially tried to disagree, but when he began to understand that I was a good person, who cared for him and others, and expressed that I did not rely on "faith" do do this, he accepted that he would not change my position and, as he knows me well as a co-worker, accepted my position. It wasn't "agreeing to disagree", it was accepting our differences and respecting one another. did not seek to tell him he was wrong and I did not hope to have him tell me I was right. Its not about the. He's a cool guy with a great history. It is about respecting each other.

And he's probably so traumatised by events that he fails to connect the fact that though god save him, he let an awful lot of other innocent people die horrific deaths.

That was really good the way I look at it if God is good why all the atrocities and Hate the greed the deception I don't see anything related to love in that I believe in a creator more or less the indigenous way of life but I sure as hell don't believe there is a loving God I think maybe you said that we have to have self confidence and like ourselves I have a hard time with those things because I don't hear see things right get things mixed up easily

When a conversation turns religious I most always say that I am an atheist. That almost always ends the subject and the conversation turns to another subject.

I try not to. If I have to, I just tell them that I'm not religious. It prevents pointless argument.

I just tell them "I have no interest in any kind of organized religion." If they have soem sembl;ance of sanity, they then leave me alone. If they persist, i tell them that they are mor eannoying than convincing. That usually does it. After that they not only leave me alone, but dont' bother anyone else i the room either.

I don't believe in numble-jumble nonsense. That usually shut them up, hahaha!

I've never had to tell a religious person that I don't believe in a God. For example, if I'm at their house for dinner and they say a prayer over the meal, I just bow my head and let them have their ceremony. No problem for me, no threat to me,

I am of the age where I really do not care what anyone thinks of me. If my beliefs are relevant I'll just state them. If someone doesn't like it s/he can F%$# off.

You and I are the same. I could give a rat's ass what someone thinks of me. I do not feel I have to explain my belief system. If someone presses me on dogmatic religion too much, I tell them, I go to church everyday, I commune outside, step into mother nature's planet. I see perfection everywhere from a blue jay to a red maple tree, to a magical butterfly, I feel the power of a higher presence.

I'm glad you didn't spell that nasty word the right way because I have very sensibilities and it hurts my eyes to read those four letter words!! This shit's fun!

I keep my mouth shut, until they start to talk about their faith. Then as far as I am concerned it is OK to go into great detail why there is no god and their belief is a delusion.

As far as I am concerned if a person feels free to tell me they are a christian, I don,t get offended, so I have no problem telling them I am an atheist, and if they find that insulting I just say well you told me your belief and heres mine!When people say to me they believe in god, I usually say, Which One? and they look at me dumbfounded and then I say well theres over 3000, of them so which one is yours!

Sally Level 2 Oct 20, 2017

Very carefully. I got into a taxi cab in Manhattan and the driver, who had recently arrived from Africa, kept saying things like Bless you My Child, and Blessed Be and May Christ be with you. I smiled politely but did not return his religious sayings. He asked me if I was religious and I said I was an atheist. The man pulled over to the side of the road and burst into deeply felt sobs. That's right. He cried. When I asked him why he was so upset, he said I was going to hell and he could not save me. I told him, the best thing about being an atheist is that we do not believe there is a hell so I didn't think I was going there. Unfortunately, he did not understand my sarcasm. It was a very long and uncomfortable cab ride.

Hahhha! Great story

It that situation, I would tell the cab driver that he is only responsible for getting me to my current destination. When I go to hell i will probably take the bus or fly. Anything that gets him to shut up about his ignorance would be fine by me if it works. Sometimes they think about your words and your smile and come around. Sometimes.

@prof_braino That's a great response - I'll use it!

Wow, you are brave. If I were alone in a cab with a super religious person, I would never admit to being an atheist. Too many fanatics in this world to take that chance.

The extreme emotional investment is frightening, even when seemingly directed in a benevolent manner. Makes you wonder when that fanaticism might suddenly turn the other way.

When you answered that guy when you said awesome that made me laugh I don't understand these religious people I totally enjoy having all of you all to relate with I used to try to believe that there is an imaginary friend that would watch over me and protect me I was very conflicted about my beliefs about some kind of a imaginary friend that will help the poor bastard but I found out that lies by the way to go because in many cases honesty is a felony

I like to tell them point blank that I am an Atheist. My neighborhood is filled with the pious and my town is in the Bible Belt. I have made a group of really nice friends who go out of the way to greet me and then there are those who avert their eyes and or let their dog poop on my lawn. I know who my friends are in the neighborhood and we are thick as thieves. I welcome their questions. One asked me 'where do you think you go after you are dead?' and I said the worms will eat me, as I will be buried in a natural cemetery, next or on top of my dog. For a while he teased me with 'worms are going to eat you' and I laugh. We are still friends and I have never reacted negatively to his comments. Why wold I?

It depends on the person. Usually I keep my beliefs (or lack thereof) to myself. When pressed (asked to say grace) I tell them that I am not a Christian. (or whatever religion they are) Sometimes they ask for details. If so, I just say that, although I was raised Methodist, I'm not religious.

Some people push, preach, and try to convert me. That's when I pull out the Flying Spaghetti Monster and try to convince them that I've been born again as a pirate, and that "belief" is a choice, so I choose to follow a benevolent god. They never take me seriously and, for each attempt to challenge my belief, I am able to challenge their equivalent belief with even more substance and vigor. It's a lot of fun. It's no wonder that I don't have a lot of friends.

When they ask me to say a meal prayer. I say over the lips, over the gums, look out stomach here it comes! They stop asking me!

@Jmjmis321 I've never been asked to do so, but I'll keep this one for if I ever do!

If i happen to be in a "mischievous" mod, I tell them I am a Pastafarin, with no explanation.
If they push the subject and I want to "rattle their cage" I go into detail about the FSM.

@GoldenDoll
My mother-in-law was raised in a Masonic orphanage. She said some of the boys changed the "god is great" prayer to "Gravy is great, gravy is good, we will eat gravy til we are dead".

If you pay me well I can tell you how to have a lot of friends or did you want me to tell you that for free or maybe send the bill to you you have to have the qualities of a Charming cheerful chickenshit just kidding I wish I had those qualities to play these peoples games

I am in a tricky situation in this regard. I have a paid gig playing bass in a local Church. I'm Jewish/agnostic rather than an atheist. I seek the divine out in nature but I don't see the divine as being Biblical.

I've been playing in the same Church for almost 15 years. The Priest has become a friend and I think highly of him.

I don't tell people at the Church that I'm a non-believer but I would quickly admit to it if asked.

I say I was baptized and studied diverse workd religion. But cannot believe in any as they are all devisive.

Trier Level 1 Oct 20, 2017

I say 'We are the majority and are not counted'

Great answer! The silent majority, getting less silent!!!!

If the question arises, I just say I'm atheist.

Honesty is not always the best policy so if I feel the need to be gentle with them I say that I cannot accept the premise offered by most organised religions and cannot believe how stupid it is to kill someone who believes different things.

mjpwl Level 3 Oct 20, 2017
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:121
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.