Agnostic.com

314 12

Incest: Immoral or Moral?

I was asked this question today by a theist. If there is no God why is safe sex between brother and sister immoral to an atheist? This guy was smart to add safe sex because it closed off my avenue to argue the health issue. So, I was thinking why is it immoral if it is consensual? I understand we find it gross but is that because of Christian influence?

• 140 votes
  • 79 votes
paul1967 8 Oct 12

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

314 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

It's hard for me to respond to the poll because it says 'Incest: immoral or moral', but then it limits it with one particular example- that actually does not define 'incest'. The most common form of incest worldwide occurs between girl children and their male parents characterizing a drastic imbalance of power that can not be explained or be limited by religion/s, and where invariably girl children suffer lasting damages.
As well, it's not a matter of 'morality', it's exploitation.

Thank you!

this question carefully specified that both were adults, consenting, and practicing safe sex. without any single one of these conditions, my answer would have been different

I agree, and I think everyone would agree that is obviously immoral. The word immoral doesn't do it justice, and I can't imagine a word that would adequately describe how horrible that crime is, and that's precisely why I phrased it the way I did. I would never have wasted your time or mine asking the question, is rapping your daughter moral or immoral? The question itself is utterly terrifying. The question, is about consensual sex between two consenting people who happen to be a bother and sister, is that immoral or moral?

paul1967, 'consensual sex between two consenting people who happen to be a bother and sister, is that immoral or moral?' in this case, again, it's not a question of morality to me, but of choice.

My thanks also..I learn so much here...

That's more of a rape than incestuous relationship. Of course it's a sexual activity between related people. So, as you said proper definition should be given for the word in this poll.

awesome answer tackling an element of the subject I had not considered.

Great answer Maya, I am starting to enjoy reading such good common sense.

I don't know if and when religion took hold of incest, but between adults it just is. We mostly don't do it because it's bad for the gene pool. Island people got away with it in time past because they had great genes. But even then, a group has to eventually go outside of an insulated group to keep from weakening the pool. I think any culture has a right to develop its own system of who has sex as long as children are protected and valued.

yes, @Maya405, & we do make our choices based on our moral codes, don't we?

you didn't read the question, which specifically was about SAFE (non-procreating) SEX between SIBLINGS. & that would be a matter of your personal choice, based on an ethical or moral code.

@VirginCotton Parents, no, period. Regarding an aunt or an uncle, there are cultures where this education is respected and revered, and also tightly bound by tradition and ceremony. Under those circumstances, in those cultures, I would not call it incest. Outside of those cultures it is incest, and even in those cultures, outside the formalities and traditions of that education it is still incest and taboo.

@VirginCotton I've checked the Merriam-Webster online dictionary and the Oxford Living English dictionary regarding the definition of the word taboo. Merriam-Webster doesn't mention religion at all in its primary definition, and the Oxford dictionary I searched said "social or religious" in each definition. The word comes from the Tongan word "tabu" which means set apart, forbidden and makes no mention of religion. I also looked up "incest" and it refers to definition by law, not religion although of course in some times and places the two are just about interchangeable. Anyway,I checked the definitions to be sure I understood the words I was using, and now can confidently stand by them: I do not believe I am leaning into religious dogma; my references are social and subjective to the particular society as I mentioned in my answer. I do not know what I can help you with; I do not understand your reference to new territory. Is it because people are taking this discussion far beyond the original, very specific question? For me, it is incest without question, but the morality/immorality of it I cannot decide; it is a matter of choice for the two individuals involved assuming they believe they are,treat each other as, equals.

@Maya405, consensus, or agreement if you will, is the choice here.

@madmac, you just missed reading &/or understanding the original post.

@Rugglesby, nothing was answered in this comment. every single element from the original post was twisted into something else entirely. the question was about consenting siblings having safe sex. Maya405 turned this into a rape scenery between father & daughter, thereby hijacking the post.

@walklightly true, I caught the comment and applied it to the heading, kinda missed the other bit. Reading in full, I guess it's not really immoral to me as an atheist, just icky.

yeah, @Rugglesby, that'll be about it 😉

@VirginCotton A 7-year-old boy is prepubescent and even a 12-year-old girl should not be in any kind of sexual situation with him. An adult male having an affair with a first cousin depends on whether the cousin is at least at the age of consent, generally 15 or so in most states. If she's at the age of consent but below 18, it's still incest and I think he could still go to jail for it. If she's below the age of consent, I think that's the legal version of not through puberty yet, and not only is it incest but also pedophilia, and he WILL go to jail and probably be killed by the other inmates, hopefully by being sodomized until his rectum ruptures and poisons him with fecal bacteria. (Gee, can you guess who was a victim of incestuous pedophilia? At the age of 6, no less.)
If the man having the affair is the grown boy of the scenario with his 12-year-old aunt, he is no less culpable: being an adult means taking responsibility for your actions, even if you are emotionally tainted with a history of incest/rape.

Maya just about nailed it.

Well said, however the original question harks back to the Christian claim that only they have morality...

@Maya405 Yes as you say a brother and sister consent to have sex I can't see the problem. In fact if anyone is having incest that is fine with me. At least they love each other.

It's not just religion that makes incest taboo. No matter how low the genetic aberration rate is, I don't believe society should condone incestual relations between any two people closer than second cousins. Reasoning: every form of birth control has a failure rate, even sterilization. No one human should decide it's okay to risk giving a child severe deformities.

Incest also increases likelihood of psychological disorder due to misplaced growth of one's "love map." It's never a good idea to encourage obsessive behavior between siblings. There's more than one way this hypothetical situation could go terribly wrong.

I moved 100 miles from the Piedmont of North Carolina to the Western Appalachian Mountains. I see far more genetic aberrations occurring here than anyplace else I've ever lived. Two siblings have no idea how far a genetic physical or mental disorder will travel in a lightly populated area.

As a humanist, incest is the height of selfishness and ignorance as far as I am concerned. The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.

So by your reasoning it should be perfectly OK for a homosexual relationship between siblings.

And by the same reasoning, adults who know they carry defective genes that they will pass on the their offspring causing disabilities should be prevented from marrying or breeding?

@Uncorrugated Some actually are that caring , about their potential children . As difficult as it may be , informed , caring adults , who are aware that a specific relationship, will increase the potential of generically deformed offspring , will choose to behave in a mature manner , and seek alternatives .

@Cast1es I agree that some are. But there are many genetic disorders that have the potential to cause disabilities, but may not - in the same way that siblings may produce children with disabilities, but equally may not.

The argument was "No one human should decide it's okay to risk giving a child severe deformities" Hence my question, 'should couples who know that there is a chance that their offspring might have a disability be prevented from breeding?'

@Uncorrugated

Please don't twist other's words, it's the hallmark of a bad argument. No, I don't think homosexual relationships between siblings are okay. They screw up the family psychologically.

I would hope all couples would make the decision not to pass on genetic aberrations of their own accord. Alas, there are thousands which do not. This is mostly due to selfishness.

Ex. I know a prominent banker in Charlotte who married someone who carried the same genetic defect as he. Both were carriers but neither suffered the the genetic consequence. Knowing the odds were 50/50 for passing on a severe deformity and shortened lifespan, he talked the wife into having 3 children. ALL had the genetic defect...so he divorced her, abandoned the children, and married someone else so he could have his perfect heir. I would wager this happens most often in these cases, rather than the couple being "careful and thoughtful."

Now, should that couple have been banned by law from procreating? While I would be okay with such a law, because a 50/50 chance of a debilitating, life-threatening defect is not a decision I would make or endorse, it makes me uncomfortable because it is a slippery slope from there to eugenics. Eugenics is bad, see? In the third Reich, Hitler tried to eliminate the genetic factors for homosexuality. I happen to love my homosexual friends and don't want them thrown out of the gene pool. I'm sure others feel it is their right to charge society with taking care of children they discard. Unfortunately, American society does a particularly shitty job in this area.

We would need a caring humanist society here with universal health care and comprehensive child care to accomplish it. I don't see that happening in the near future. There is current example of a country endorsing the elimination of Down's syndrome. In Iceland, prenatal screening has led to a nearly 100% abortion rate of zygotes testing positive. The rate of Down's syndrome babies is also declining in the United States, but not as fast due to religious objections to abortion.

In my opinion, Icelandic women have chosen the more humanistic option. When it comes to custom-ordering your child a la "Gattaca," however, that is eugenics gone wild and I find it creepy.

@hemingwaykitten
"They screw up the family psychologically."
You do realize this is based on an atomic family model that may not be the end all.

@hemingwaykitten With respect, I didn't twist your words. I merely followed the reasoning behind your argument. the main thrust of which was potential genetic defects of any offspring - the likelihood of which is lower than many of known risks from other relationships which are not legislated against and which you have now also said, should not be legislated against. Whilst I agree that childhood incest can have a detrimental effect on the psychological growth of a child, once siblings have reached adulthood and their 'love map' is formed, the psychological impact is mostly impacted by society's treatment of their relationship.
And in the UK. we do have universal healthcare and mothers are also given the option to abort pregnancies where serious deformities have been identified.

You are not in favour of legislating against the choices some adults make with regard to their offspring, but it would appear that you are if they are siblings. Just because some societies find something taboo, doesn't necessarily make it immoral.

@Uncorrugated
The HUMAN Race pretty much finds sibling sex taboo.

@Uncorrugated, @GregGasiorowski
If she's your sister, there's no way sex doesn't mess with your family dynamic. I don't care if you're parents are trans, poly, or aliens!

@hemingwaykitten
Yes, but among adults this really isn't a hell of a lot different than dating a best friends ex, this too messes with a social dynamic but is generally accepted allbeit a hair frowned upon.
Personally I'm very trad atomic hetero, but this is for the sake of argument.

@hemingwaykitten
"The HUMAN Race pretty much finds sibling sex taboo."
Human taboos remain to be a very primitive form of morality.

@GregGasiorowski
Humans remain primitive. Just a thin veneer of civilization slapped on makes us think we've changed. Nope.

@hemingwaykitten
Having behavior dictated by taboos doesn't help this.

@GregGasiorowski @Uncorrugated I think you guys are making this issue too complicated and intellectual. If there are two consenting adults, have at it. But, incest is rarely about two consenting adults.

@hemingwaykitten If homosexual people didn't marry and have children with straight folks , there'd be no concern about them passing on that gene , if there even is such a thing . A problem has been more along the line that homosexuals have been afraid to , "Come out ," so married and had children with straight , even though it wasn't what they truly wanted . I am pleased that , in this day and age , same sex couples can both marry and also adopt a family . Although I can't speak for all , the ones I do know , seem to be doing a great job of parenting !

@crazycurlz Then if there is a lack of consent or involves children it is child abuse and rape and therefore immoral in my opinion.

I see consenting sexual relationships between adult siblings of any gender as being nobody's business but theirs.

@Uncorrugated actually I agree with you although I think 'consent' can mean one thing to one person and coercion to somebody else so it might be a slippery slope in many circumstances. And, yes, thanks for differentiating between kids and adults.

@GregGasiorowski The human race has its head up it's ass when it comes to defining morality and declaring taboos. Besides taboos are dying off for the same reasons religion is dying off. And this, what's so great about "primitive morality"?.

@Casey07
Ask hemingwaykitten.

@Casey07

For starters, the incest taboo lets humanity keep moving forward instead of dying off from inbreeding. That's a good thing.

first of all, I know people who are the products of incestuous rape that have no deformities. I also knew a lot of people who come from parents not genetically related who have major disabilities, so that isn't an issue. Besides, off you're having safe sex.....

This is one area where we are taught that is gross. But since it happens, it's perfectly natural.

The fact is that morality isn't about what you think other consenting adults are doing. Morality is about conducting yourself with integrity, and not allowing your preferences to hurry other people. So incestuous rape is immoral. Incest between consenting adults is not. Just like any rape is immoral, but sex between consenting adults is not.

Cheri Level 5 Oct 28, 2017

My concern is the medical/genetic point of view. Incest can and does cause genetic concerns. Granted it may not cause it in every case, but the potential is always there. One scenerio poised above was separated at birth, found each other , fell in love, and etc,etc,etc. children in such a case could and probably would gave some genetic abberrations pop up. Genetic counciling and testing would be wise. The moral aspect? I don't see a problem there, but from a legal point of view, there is a problem. In mist states relatives closer than second cousins are forbidden from marriage because of the potential for genetic changes, often times harming th children. I have seen the genetic aberrations from close family marriages. Most suffer mental retardation and physical challenges. Living in the south I have seen dozens of families that had children that had major health problems from incestious relationships. Look at the Middle East. In mist underdeveloped countries many marry family members due to the fact that they seldom move more than a few miles from their homes. In Islamic countries they state that 25% of the population has mental illness due to having children with close family relations. It's not uncommon to seefirst cousins marry. Not just in Islamic countries but in many Asian countries and India. The birth defects in close familial marriages are well documented.

@TheMiddleWay ...probably what happened with Adam & Eve & Caine... imagine.

@TheMiddleWay According to this study there's a 42% chance of abnormailty in 50% relations, which is pretty high. I'd always thought it was less. I wonder what it is for the general population. [psychologytoday.com]

@girlwithsmiles I don't know! I must have the luckiest family in history. Lots and lots of child molestation going on, but few problems. Maybe my recent ancestors had amazing genes! ?

@WilliamLee another scenario is if 2 (half) siblings, conceived from the same sperm donor, meet, fall in love, and have children before finding out they are siblings: [slate.com]

Yes if the sex is consented to why not? At least there is love there, If my sister and I want to have sex that is up to us and nobody else.

@girlwithsmiles That is about correct. Middleways understanding of modern genetics seems to be a little faulty, in several small ways. I have heard that the risk is small but real. It may be an urban myth, but I have also heard that the risks of problems for the child, is about the same as that for the children of older fathers over fifty.

It is immoral because it will lead to children with genetic deformitys

Well the hypothetical says that they are practicing safe sex and I suspect that even if pregnancy was impossible you might still find it immoral. The question is to figure out why it's immoral. Is it cultural bias or is it truly immoral. I don't see it as a moral question I think it's just wise not to for emotional reasons

@paul1967 I know I would find it too uncomfortable myself but I suppose I could not say it was immoral as that would be placing restrictions on others. I am pretty much of the viewpoint that any consensual acts between two adults is okay.

@mooredolezal Agreed, I'm 100% behind your statement.

Rarely if any : CF is autosomal dominatant , that a problem

@paul1967 no in that case I would not.

@paul1967, @Millerski25 I've heard both sides and I am of the opinion that if there is an unreasonable risk of deformity then no, otherwise yes. Safe sex would negate this issue. However, I would never deny people the right to make their own decisions as long as they were consenting adults. To me it is a health issue, not one of morality.

@paul1967 good logic and debate... return to the question at hand... nicely done. Red herring syndrome

@Millerski25 thanks

I have scanned the comments and present this scenario: You have met and married someone in your town or city and you've had a wonderful marriage and raised several beautiful children and you decide to go to one of those DNA site to discover your family history and find out that the person that you've been with is actually a sibling. Now what? They believed that they were morally right. The unspoken truth in society is that many people's first sexual experiences have been with family members. We shouldn't have a problem with it if it's done respectfully. If it leaves a bad taste in your mouth then go wash your mouth with atheist brand mouthwash that's made with plenty of ration. lol. Does morality equal respect?

Seems roughly as likely as winning a state lottery, but okay, in that sort of peer-to-peer scenario I see nothing wrong. You want to give me a Jaime Lannister - Cercei Lannister story? Cool story, bro.

That's not most real-life incest situations. Most real-life incest is what we'd "child rape" were the parties unrelated. Whether it comes from arbitrary cultural markers or something inherent in the human condition doesn't much matter to me at that point -- it causes TREMENDOUS and lasting psychological harm because we do live in this culture.

@ErikGunderson Are you familiar with the term, "A hard dick has no conscious?" It provides insight into a need to procreate. A priapic episode can make a man a rapist. ijs. In many instances morality doesn't come into play.

I've had many a boner I haven't acted upon.

@ErikGunderson Discipline is a great trait to have but it's like common sense, those of us who have it wish that everyone else had it.

@ErikGunderson Now that is a waste of a good erection. God gave them to us not to put them to waste🙂

@Maestro God? You're joking, right?

if it's between consenting adults, it's fine. just like all sex. i don't understand why the question still comes up or why people can still be arrested for having consensual sex.

I agree. I find it unappealing myself but I also find gay sex unappealing but I don't judge anyone for it and I know if they're happy and it makes sense to them I'm all for it.

How about if its between consenting adults, and the younger adult was raised to believe that it was ok and that was his or her role in that relationship from childhood? Is it ok then?

@rafferty that wouldn't be between consenting adults. you answered your own question.

No i didnt. I was describing a particularly awful form of sex slavery, and the very opposite of free thought. Monstrous. Ive seen the results such criminality.

@rafferty grooming a child into adulthood to be your sex slave is not a consensual relationship. obviously.

@basher But I believe that without some sort of investigation into it, they would seem perfectly consenting.

First "safe sex" doesn't necessarily eliminate the possibility of pregnancy.
Second in reality invest isn't often consensual. So any abusive or exploitive sexual relationship is morally repugnant.

JimG Level 8 Nov 8, 2017

What about 2 siblings that were adopted by different couples raised not know each other. Meet fell in love got married then found out they were siblings. Is that still wrong if why

CCcatlover, that's kind of a stretch, but I have heard at least anecdotally of that or similar situations occurring. It's impossible to judge anyone in that situation as immoral. If they decide to stay married and especially if they have children, it becomes wrong. It's been pointed out that perfectly normal children have resulted from incest, but the chance of deformities is greater and becomes more likely if incest occurs over succeeding generations. If allowed where should we draw the line? I mean if a brother and sister have children why can't their children and grandchildren?

@JimG There were a couple of documented cases over the last thirty years or so. One quite tragic as the couple had children (healthy) but were legally obliged to divorce.
Back to the OP, the question ruled out offspring as a consideration.

@CCcatlover, @JimG, @RobAnybody: I posted this in a reply above: A man and woman meet in college, fall in love, marry, and have children before they find out they are half-siblings, conceived by the same sperm donor (http://www.slate.com/articles/life/dear_prudence/2013/02/dear_prudence_my_wife_and_i_came_from_the_same_sperm_donor.html)

Medically speaking I first ask; How actually safe is "safe sex" considering that almost EVERY form of contraception is, at the very best, only about 80-90% effective, except, of course, for total abstinence or surgical techniques such as; 1) a irreversible Vasectomy for males and a total hysterectomy for females, or, 2) castration of males.
Genetically speaking, incest is a very hazardous activity in any human relationship between brother and sister, father and daughter, mother and son or first cousin to first cousin with a direct genetic link.
That is why, in the wild , most mammals and many other species will drive out their young once they are old enough to survive on their own to limit the chances of the genetic pool becoming tainted by incestuous in-breeding thus causing deformities ranging from very minor ones right through to the most horrific.
DNA strands, which every living thing are made from, are very delicate and very easily 'damaged' ergo Incest is NOT a religious Morality Issue but an Ethical and Genetic Issue for a living things and, on a personal point of opinion here, I think that with all the advancements in Invitro Fertilisation and random donations of sperm, etc, human kind is slow but inexorably heading down the road to a destination where in-breeding and the genetic disasters will become the norm unfortunately.

Ok, so habitual inbreeding sucks for the species. I'm with you there.

What about selective inbreeding for desired traits? Un-natural selection at it's finest! I'm pretty sure the genetic errors could be identified and sterilized before being introduced to the larger gene pool.

At which point does this strategy become morally unconscionable? Who ever thought non-reproductive sister-fucking would become the safe argument? 😀

@xylophonix Are you talking about Eugenics by any chance?
Mankind has tried that over 100 years with canines in particular and now the sickening results, sickening when viewed in the various forms of defects, etc, that are common-place in various dog breeds btw,.
It is not religion that first said NO to in-breeding, it was nature itself, religion only, as it has done with everything else, grabbed the idea and ran with it for its own ' benefit.'

@Triphid I was totally talking about Eugenics. Mind you, not advocating it. Well, Devil's Advocating, I suppose.

I would contend that man has been selectively breeding dogs for a lot longer than 100 years. More like 10,000. I've heard it theorized that the first "dogs" were wolves that followed hunter-gatherer humans and lived off their scraps much like urban raccoons. The more docile of these wolves were tolerated by said humans, and they became "successful" in an evolutionary context by ultimately forming a symbiotic relationship (you give them food, they tell you if a threat is near). Over time, these animals would grow more and more docile as all of the aggressive ones would have been killed or driven off, and these non-desireable traits would not become part of the "dog" gene pool. The results are hard to dispute. We've got a whole race of subservient creatures.

Now, targeted inbreeding for physical traits tends to yield undesirable results due to the fact that our genetic markers do not serve a single purpose... they express themselves in various disparate ways. It could be that within a limited gene pool a double-recessive target trait is only expressed when coupled with other non-desireable traits, but when introduced into a larger gene pool, some of these undesirable traits can be bred out while leaving the desirable one.

I feel like I sound like a Nazi. All of this is just trying to justify sister-fucking. FYI- I have no sisters, so I don't really have a dog in this fight. I do have an agressive, non-domesticated wolf in it, though. 😀

@xylophonix Yes, I agree that humans have been selectively breeding dogs, in particular, for over 10,000 years however it has been since the arrival of the Pedigreed " Show" Dogs and breeding of such in the last hundred+ years that the genetic damage has become far more obvious, e.g. the British Bulldog which now has such a shortened nose that it finds it almost impossible to breathe and thus cannot cool its blood and lower its body temperature normally as do other dog breeds, it cannot mate without human intervention now since its hind quarters are far to weakened by specific breeding that the male cannot mount the female and the female cannot support the weight of the male anyway during mating.
That is just 2 example of the damage wrought by humans on the various ' breeds' of dogs, there are innumerable more examples that I could list but I'll leave those examples for others who may be concerned enough to research them for themselves.
If this is what we have done and are still doing to ' man's best friend,' then what are doing to man himself with, for example, the massive upward rise of things such as Invitro -fertilization using virtually anonymous Sperm Donors and laws supposedly protecting their identities from the children they produce?
How, I ask, can for example male child A ( born by such intervention or adoption know that female child A is NOT a blood and genetic close relative when they decide to wed and start a family?
The American idea of ' blood tests' before marriage appears to be a ' good' one BUT that only goes just so far and, in my opinion, smacks a bit of the Eugenics Ideology as well.
Are we not simply 'paving the road' to the eventual 'dumbing down' of our own species by so rapidly embracing things such as Invitro-fertilization without pausing to consider the future outcomes?

The goats I raise were feral for a couple hundred years, so essentially wild animals, until the 1980s & I assure you, they have absolutely NO qualms about incest. The dominant male goat will drive out only his male kids & happily mate with his daughters & the daughters he has by them.

@Carin Yes that does happen in numerous species but eventually the genetic pool becomes so polluted that all kinds of deformities, etc, begin to show up.

CONSENSUAL, SAFE sex is nobody's business but the the participants!

I'd still like to make sure they're of a legal age myself. Parents that allow this to happen underage seriously change the ability of the kids to have successful future relationships. Plus the instigator is often the elder and therefore it is still a control situation rather than loving. No/limited insight from children into the potential damage they are inflicting on their younger sibling.

@DuchessNyx Oh, I didn't know that, and so what's the legal situation with 2 minors? She didn't give ages.

@DuchessNyx because she didn't clarify age it is relevant. Thank you.

If consenting adult siblings decide to have sex, it is only their business - as long as they don't procreate. it supports the freedom of choice, not harming a third party.

i just noticed, reading through the other comments, how many actually argue against via the genetics factor - when the original question clearly stated that it is not about incestuous breeding, but simply sex. for an agnostic community those responses are pretty biblical 😀

@walklightly I love you lol. I honestly appreciate your recognition of my question. I was shocked and a little disappointed at some of the responses. The response that got the most likes accused me of supporting child rape, and I found that to be incredibly insulting. Again I appreciate your comment and support.

any time, @paul1967 - the support, i mean. you posed a brave question, & i'm taking my (non-existent) hat off to you, in other words, you've got my highest respect.

@walklightly You are my type of people. You understand the simple and the complex and you have my respect and friendship.

thank you, @paul1967, likewise with deep gratitude.

A surprisingly thought-provoking question. Not least because it provokes a emotional response ("no, no that's disturbingly wrong" ) before allowing oneself a rational response "why is it wrong? Because it is immoral?" When morality is a human invention. Interesting that siblings are mentioned. Incest can also involve father and daughter/mother and son. Different reaction entirely. Even if adult and consensual surely an explotative relationship on behalf of the parent. Yet often younger women seek out a father figure and as often younger men a mother figure as a sexual partner. Latent incestuous desires or no? Egyptian pharoahs regulary married their sisters. Greek myths punished incest between parent and child (usually because it involved patricide to get to the mother). The Doors , The End ... Jim Morrison sings " Father i want to kill you, Mother i want to ... (screams). Culturally taboo to protect the species seems to be the way to go, with regard to siblings at least. (I am discounting child abuse in all of this and only talking of consensual adults). I believe in compassionate understanding rather than retribution and punishment in such cases. As i said, thought-provoking ...

@MsAnneThrope No, i'm a intelligent human being who likes to make a considered response to questions but i'm not above calling you an ignorant vile judgemental twat and informing you that there is more brains in a bucket of shite than there is in your tiny cranium. Does that fit the bill for you, or would you like to shout some more? ?

@SimonCyrene look who's calling who vile. Bahaha!!

@MsAnneThrope another 'intelligent' response, ho hum ...

@SimonCyrene another "equally" intelligent response, so dum.

i don't see it as a moral issue. it was presented (eons ago) as a moral issue because god was obviously punishing people who slept with close relations (genetically punishing them, right?) but safe sex, and we're talking adults... it makes people cringe. it makes ME cringe. but on a moral level, i can't see anything wrong with it, as long as reproduction is not involved. well, maybe one thing: if it becomes the norm, reproduction is LIKELY to become involved in most cases. people do have unsafe sex, no matter what you tell them to do. that is why some states require a blood test before issuing a marriage license.

g

p.s. i do wonder what you mean by christian influence. the taboo dates back WELL before christianity!

@genessa Exactly, it goes back to the earliest times even before the evolution of mankind.

@Triphid earliest times, definitely. before the evolution of mankind... no such thing as "before" because evolution is a continuous process. perhaps you mean prehistorical times?

g

@genessa Hominids/Humans eventually evolved from a very early mammalian species that was around during the final decades or so of the Age of the Dinosaurs, that in turn slowly evolved into numerous other forms, one of which was the earliest primate type species and over more ages of time it too evolved and various "off-shoot" species evolved from there, one being the earliest hominids such Australopithecus and onwards until man ( Homo Sapiens) arrived upon the scene. Ergo, " before the Evolution of Mankind" is NOT incorrect.
Prehistoric is simply a broad terminology used to describe events etc, that occurred BEFORE written Historical Records were kept.
Yes, evolution is a continual process but it has a starting point for every living thing and for some it also has a finishing point whether by natural terrestrial, extra-terrestrial or, in the case of human actions and interventions, slow extinction events such as humans are bringing upon the life of animals etc, ( including our own future generations) on this planet.
Why then, since Incestuous mating, according to your comment only seems to have occurred in humans, out the thousands and thousands of fossils of earlier animal species, etc, have there not been the malformations/deformities found that are directly attributable to incestuous behavior amongst them?

@Triphid i didn't say incest started only with human beings, or that it is unique to human beings! gosh, why would i say that? my cat tries to hump his daughters all the time (good thing he's fixed). i didn't, and i wouldn't, say that. and i know what prehistoric means, thanks. i said incest taboos in humans predates written history. i don't know why or how, but think you thought i said the opposite of what i said! i might also note that there is no clear date when suddenly homo sapiens popped into being. it was a slow process like so much else, and mankind as we know it involves a little cross-breeding with neanderthals, who, i suspect, may have had the same taboos against incest. i believe there are other animals (not my kitties) that have such taboos, but they don't write them down lol

g

No point in safe sex with a relative. Stupid question. Only reason to have sex is breeding. Unless every other woman on earth is dead there’s no moral or any reason to breed with a relative. Only to repopulate. Seriously, this is a disturbing question. I argue, should I let you all die since you’re not smart enough. To figure this out without help. Maybe we should let sea life like octopus’s take over, humans in general seem quite stupid to me. Wtf you even as this for you know the answer. My god the world is dumb and blind.

Really? Only breeding? I think you missed a meeting.

Why are you on this site? Please leave so answers which are just tripe no longer are interspersed with the answers that have meaning. Thanks.

You are within your right to be critical of the question. I don't judge you for your response, but I don't agree with it. I don't have sex for reproduction; I have sex for the enjoyment of having that bond with my partner. I hope that statement was you being hyperbolic. Otherwise, I feel as if you are missing an extraordinary aspect of life.

Wow, I’d completely forgotten of this site. I see this response struck some cords. Let me put this out there I was likely quite drunk at the time and even I have a hard time dismantling what I said now. Maybe I’ll check in here more frequently in the future. It does help me laugh like the Sacasimist society 😉 cya all around mayhap.

I am a little disappointed in the answers. They all seem to be addressing child molesting or genetic dangers. The question was phrased in a way to make it if two grown, consenting relatives want to have sex, is that immoral. Not have children, not prey on children. The hypothetical question is about sex between two consenting, related adults.

Thank you!

As long as those conditions are met, I would vote 'moral' in that individual case. But that doesn't let incest off the hook in general.

Take murder, rape (of an adult) and child sexual abuse. Each one considered more morally outrageous than the last, in modern Western society. While rape and child sexual abuse at least leave the victims with lives to rebuild, we literally treat them as worse than murder. Why?

I believe it's a deterrent. We big these things up into being the most atrocious of atrocities precisely because there are people out there right now who are facing the temptation to do these things, and we need them to know that doing them makes them bad, bad, bad, BAD people.

Sadly (for those rare cases of consenting incestuous adults with no history of grooming) incest needs to remain immoral and illegal precisely to stop these behaviours. You really can't have a question on the morality of incest without raising the genetic or child grooming issues.

No sorry, @BenMonk he doesn't actually state that the parties are adults, hence much of the conversation is clarifying this. But given that you assume they are adult I assume you are not against it? Me neither if that's the case, their choice.

@Benmonk

True with a caveat. There is no such thing as safe sex, even sterilizations fail. The question as phrased only says "safe sex" and there are plenty of supposed safe sex babies around. I believe some of us have an issue with such a cut and dried question to what is a very messy situation no matter how you cut it. Incest is not as simplistic as this question.

Immoral isn't the word I'd use, revolting is closer to it

This isn't a judgement, but why is it revolting if it's between two consenting adults practicing safe sex?

@paul1967 I just used the fucking my mother filter but i sort of take your point but incest isn't usually about consent it's about exploitation

@ipdg77 oh and when it's that (exploitative) the answer is a no brainier. It's beyond discussing, it's vile and intensely damaging. Honestly I find it repulsive myself but I'm trying to determine if I've been indoctrinated into that feeling or if it has an evolutionary component to it. This question itself isn't designed to make that determination but I think it's a question worth considering.

@paul1967

I believe strongly there is a evolutionary reason why humans are biased against incest. Incest has been around millions of years before religion. If we had not evolved away from incest, humans could has easily died out long ago.

Leviticus 18:24 says, “'Do not defile yourselves in any of these ways, because this is how the nations that I am going to drive out before you became defiled.” What were “any of these ways”? Chapter 18 focuses on immoral sexual practices, including incest, bestiality, same-sex activity, and adultery. In addition to prohibiting sexual immorality, Leviticus 18 addresses the heinous practice of sacrificing children to Molech verse 21

Well, having sex with animals and sacrificing children is just sick.

@ArthurPhillips Reading the bible or following it is just plain sick.

@NormCastle did you know that the Bible is the most read and printed book in the world.

Why would one bother about this question?
One should not worry about morality because their is no unversial edition of it.
Just learn to own your decisions!
Is it moral to pollute the air by driving a car?

Actually , the air was much , much more polluted , just a few years ago . Adding air cleaners to the automotive system AND having them routinely tested , has made dramatically cleaner air . While I think contraceptives would lesson the concern about genetically damaged children , there will be , "mistakes ," made , and there will be those who challenge the concept , and decide to have children anyhow . Even being careful , there are likely to be problems , because some children don't know who their sperm donars are , whether it was a matter of artificial insemination or whether it was a matter of adoption or even mistaken identification of the true father .

If you keep talking sense your gonna piss people off.

@Casey07 I know , My boss once told me , I shouldn't be a Federal employee , because I'm too logical . Keep wondering if that was as much of a comment about me . as it was about the government .

It was found long ago that inter breeding was dangerous. So incest was banned by the rulers and agreed to by the clergy (I think there is something in the bible about it). The problem is that they did not understand the genetics of the situation. So we now have the situation of where two adopted girl and boy cannot get married because they are siblings.

Yeah, the bible condones incest: Genesis 19:31-38:

30 Lot and his two daughters left Zoar and settled in the mountains, for he was afraid to stay in Zoar. He and his two daughters lived in a cave. 31 One day the older daughter said to the younger, “Our father is old, and there is no man around here to give us children—as is the custom all over the earth. 32 Let’s get our father to drink wine and then sleep with him and preserve our family line through our father.”

33 That night they got their father to drink wine, and the older daughter went in and slept with him. He was not aware of it when she lay down or when she got up.

34 The next day the older daughter said to the younger, “Last night I slept with my father. Let’s get him to drink wine again tonight, and you go in and sleep with him so we can preserve our family line through our father.” 35 So they got their father to drink wine that night also, and the younger daughter went in and slept with him. Again he was not aware of it when she lay down or when she got up.

36 So both of Lot’s daughters became pregnant by their father. 37 The older daughter had a son, and she named him Moab[g]; he is the father of the Moabites of today. 38 The younger daughter also had a son, and she named him Ben-Ammi[h]; he is the father of the Ammonites[i] of today.

@AtheistInNC
Well the bible has a high regard for women & other valuable livestock.

Many responses here intend to show a degree of irrationality that could possibly be traced back to religious roots. I think that many people what to be seen as righteous even within the group.

On the other hand, due to IVF, you might find that siblings engage in intercourse/interbreed without even knowing that they are siblings.

Now that the moral goal post have shifted and many jurisdictions have legalized marriage between partners of the same sex the argument of unwanted congenital defects in offspring is no longer an argument for same sex couples. Consequently the whole question has to be reevaluated. I think many people confuse morality with taste. So there is the temptation to sweep everything under the moral carpet.
I was thinking of Pitcairn. Those who know the story of the Mutiny of the Bounty might no the place. A couple of years ago the total population was estimated to be 48. The censors must just have been confused or to lazy to just count them. Now would you tell these brave souls that incest is a taboo?

Or St. Helena

The issue on Pitcairn was not just incest, but paedophilia. It was mostly the young girls that were "broken in" by the elders. The girls were raped as had no way to provide informed consent. Whether they were related to their abusers, in my opinion, is not relevant to the morality of incest.

@Uncorrugated but this was not part of the question. The is about incest. The issue of pedophilia depends largely on the definition of a child.

@PontifexMarximus In many societies the "coming of age" for a young girl was around 12 yrs old when she was given to or married off to a much older man for bearing children and other things.

If it's mutual and there is no manipulation involved, I can't find any immoral aspect in it. But one line of argument can be that the relationship between a brother and sister is destroyed through this choice and consequently the action. It's more likely should be discouraged unless they have fallen in love and are planning to continue a conjugal relationship.. which again will be criticized by the society and culture.

Being overly safe doesn't always work. Accidents happen in relationships such as pregnancy. King Tut was an offspring of his mother and father being brother and sister. The physical disability he endured from them. Need I say more...

@TweedleDee I get your point but I don't believe their relationship was an accident, nor was the pregnancy...

@TweedleDee That doesn't make it immoral. That makes it more discouraging. There are more disabled babies due to the alcholic and smoking behavior of mother. And with genetic engineering, it's possible in future to have healthy babies in incest relationships. So, even though it should be discouraged, if they truly want to be together, society should not bar anyone.

@AnandaKhan I do understand what you are trying to say. and like anything else in todays society, people would condemn it. Thank you for enlightening me on this subject. I can not be open to other peoples ideas if I am narrow minded.

As a victim of brother/sister incest, ....it is simply hurtful to not know enough about yourself as a small human that you arent able to defend yourself against sexual acts forced upon you by other humans. children are sexual beings but arent ready for physical acts until they go thru puberty. With a no frills sex education and current societal norms in place, children can at least learn to determine what they should do if confronted with incest.

It is damaging to children to have to deal with sexual situations before they are grown. anyone that tells me otherwise needs to be chemically castrated. as you can tell, i feel strongly about this...my brother is not a child predator. if my parents had taught him about his body, hormones, and puberty....i would not be a victim. shame on my parents and its a shame kids are still being denied sensible sex education.

This is far more serious as abuse and possibly rape,

@NormCastle yes norm...it was. It also lead to sex with my other brother whom I was very close with. We came from a fractured family in the late 60s. My mother cared more for her happiness than ours. Our father was distant at the time. But long story short...all is forgiven.
Good has come from it.
I'm very much a child advocate to this day and have a decent relationship with my brother.

@cheepsie I am pleased you have made that progress...your answer upset me to a point and then it was very well recovered. Sad there had to be something to forgive, but forgiving did dump the whole thing back on them...Love you for it.......<3

@NormCastle it did take a while....but by the time I was in my mid twenties...I felt ok about it.

One of the scariest almost rapes happened to me at an outdoor week long concert. A man followed me into a port o John but I used self defense methods I learned in a karate class and was able to get the hell out of there. Now that was awful ...it made me wonder how would I have dealt with an actual rape. Having to think about this and talk to daughters and young women, to teach them how to protect themselves just plain sucks. A woman always has to be on the look out for sexual violence whether it is verbal or otherwise. I don't understand it..iit's like being hunted. Those thoughts are always in my mind and it's really hard to be friendly to men. I still am afraid to look men in the eye when out in public. At my age, that's sad.

I guess I will always carry the above as scars...I don't think of it as baggage...just scars.

I can admit that I don't have enough of an education to be able to address this dilema.

Slightly off topic:

Anyone know how the Lanisters make a king sized bed?

They push together two twins!

Wait, Lanister Pennsylvania? Is this an Amish joke, or what?

@Paul4747 Game of Thrones joke.

@Squirrel
Oh. Okay, I don't follow that.

That was classic!

God populated the world through incest, ok with him. Makes me feel nauseated, inner moral code says no to incest.

god (fictional character of course) was just fine with lot's daughters getting him drunk and raping him in order to repopulate the world, as they saw it. then, this god was a funny character all around.

g

@genessa "God a funny character all round, " I'd say this Imaginary, Invisible Sky Daddy was more of a cross between a Narcissist, Psychopath, Socio-path, Ego-maniacal Egotistical Misogynist with attributes that the likes of Nero, Caligula, Hitler and the Nazis and even Pol-Pot lacked and would be jealous of.
Is it any wonder that Atheists are the most caring and humane of the human race with such a role model as this Judeo- Xtian-Islamic Supreme Being.

@Triphid again, i gently disagree only in part, because there are different gods even in the same bibles. they're all supposed to be the same guy but they can't be. some of them are dreadful and some are not. it doesn't matter because they're ALL fictional.

g

@genessa Earlier mankind literally INVENTED Gods/Goddesses, etc, in attempts to explain how things happened etc, and then these " supreme beings" developed the traits, both good and bad, of the purveyors of those beliefs.
As a Philosopher once said, " When creating a Deity, first one MUST it Invisible, Intangible, Unimpeachable then add the best and worst traits of those who both invent it and will worship it."
Hence, the Abrahamic God was invented as per the Old Testament one filled with Ire, Dictatorial behaviour and actions, Blood-lust, etc, etc, then altered somewhat to suit the times as the New Testament was created and written, i.e. a few new P.R. writers and voila, we have the deity that is worshipped these days, same deity, slightly mellowed down to suit the tastes, etc, of the more enlightened worshippers, nothing more, nothing less, just the same wolf, the same sheep's clothing just a small change of overall colour.

So far 7 people are super creepy.

LOL well, I'm not sure I would call them creepy. Let me pose a scenario to see if you change your mind. You fall in love late in life say, 50ish and you marry this person, and you're now 60ish, and you discover the person you loved was your sibling that you had never met. Do you end it now because you know?

IDK.... This is a really weird conversation. I gave a quick answer to this poll because I have brothers and 1 little sister and this shit is too weird to think about. Paul1967 Im gonna guess you don't have close siblings or you do but you have exercised your mind in this way of thinking to where it doesnt disturb you. I can't do it. This is too weird LOL. But hey I tell everybody it don't matter what I think, do whateva dafuk you wanna do, I just like to put my opinions out there cause I can, haha.

Uh- do I really have to answer that? If you think about screwing your mother, father, daughter, son, brother, sister, etc. instead of the big pool of humans you have to choose from, then I'd suggest a shrink. And I don't need to hear about the flawed theory of cultural relativism. It's proven that incest, and therefore, the overlapping of genes, causes serious physical and mental problems.

I'm not trying to be combative but did you respond only to the title of the question or was this your response to the whole issue below the title?

You're not being combative, and yes I'm guilty of not fully reading the post. It's just that I know many good people whose lives were ruined due to incest, so it tends to put me in the red zone. I guess if you use protection, and want to have relations w/a relative, it's a person's individual choice, but you know, sometimes contraception fails.

I need to add, there ARE those people (and there seems to be quite a few) who are predisposed to incestuousness. Freud, Klein, Fairbairn, Winnicott, would say those people were "arrested" in their development and did not get past the pre-oedipal or the oedipal stage of childhood. ("The Primer of Object Relations" by David and Jill Scharff)

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:1366
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.