Agnostic.com

783 56

How do you deal with Door-knockers?

Whether they be Witnesses, Mormons, or another proselytizing religion, how do you deal with people coming to your door to spread their religion?
I just had my first experience since getting a place of my own and had a decent conversation through the crack in my door. After I told him I was an atheist he tried to use apologetics; when I told him I was familiar with his arguments and didn't find them convincing further explaining that I take a scientific route of belief and chose not to believe until there is evidence for a god. He understood and thanked me for explaining and listening to him and he left with a handshake. I was surprised at myself for how civil I was to him but how does everyone else usually respond?

Nicsnort 6 Oct 14

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

783 comments (551 - 575)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I have a note on my door strongly discouraging salesman, and bible thumpers. This is my home, and I find it incredibly rude for either of those pests to come knocking on my door. If they read the sign and proceed to knock, then they get cursed out in full force. I do not feel like I have to feel guilty for my behavior as they are the ones being rude and presumptuous.

If possible, I invite them in and offer something to drink. I always invite them to speak and I listen. I appreciate their passion and we always have a good discussion. I don't hold with either Jehovah's Witnesses or Latter Church of Saints... but I always have questions. I'm not the be all and end all.

Great attitude... I am an atheist and not interested in changing people's minds but it's really awesome talking to others about their beliefs... our discussions usually last at the most 10 minutes... knowing what the Mormon religion philosophy and beliefs are and how incredibly psychedelic it is... I always find them friendly... I mean come on when they die they get their own planet and get to have Celestial sex how much better does it get then that.

@emjai lol

My wife was of the same opinion as myself, however having been raised a Catholic she was closeted. When she died she still was in agreement for the most part, although hopeful more was waiting. When the door knockers showed up she would tell me to sick em. I invited them in and served them refreshments and let them rave for a few minutes. After about 15 minutes of listening I would begin challenging there "FACTS" within another 5 minutes they fled usually reassuring each other .. they always bring backup ... After 3 visits ... 1 mormon, 1 Witness and one Christian Evangelic they would return to the sanctuary and advise everyone the Devil lived at my address and nobody bother to knock at my door again!

I have a sign on my door that says, unless you have a hot pizza go away.

Well, if it is a Jehovah's Witness, I politely thank them for their decency to stay out of politics. This is one point in their favour anyway. I tell them that i am not interested right now but accept a booklet and they are on their way. The fundamentalist type of born again christians are another story. I tell them to get the hell off my property and stay out of citizens private lives. I have absolutely no liking for them.

I had a plan all set up and then they woke me up one morning when I was super hung over. All I could say was, "I can't, I just can't." and closed the door. 😀

I am always civil but usually explain that I was about to leave because I'm running late for __. Then I throw away the religious pamphlet they insist on pressing into my hand before they leave. I find the little white lie so much easier than having to explain myself, though I have interesting responses when I ask if Adam and Eve had bellybuttons when they were born🙂

Be polite and tell them that you have no interest in the religion business.

If I had time, I’d invite the person in for in interesting conversation. You would both get insight about the other.

Pretend to try to sell them drugs, when they mention they don't want any. Just say you don't buy what they are selling either.

I have a sign on on my door that says:
Door knockers please note: This household charges $50.00 per minute to listen to sales pitches, religious messages, political views and fundraising stories. This charge is payable in advance. By knocking on any entry door, you signal your agreement to the terms outlined above.
Needless to say, I don't get many interruptions from door-knockers. My friends and family love it.

haha interesting. If I were going to do that, I might choose $2.00 per minute. I might actually make some cash!! 😛

I respect as I can every human being. I may not have time to waste on them but... I grew up and was schooled on a Private Catholic Academy. Also attended a Catholic University... I had heard a lot already of what Door-knockers try to offer.

Many years ago I had some Seventh Day Adventists knock on my door. Right at the time I also had a young Dingo Pup ( Native Australian Dog) that my daughter and I were raising.
Right when they started their religious spiel the pup started yelping, it was outside in the back yard at the time, and out of the blue my Daughter suddenly shouted to me, "Dad, you'd better come quick, the baby is trying to eat the dingo."
Funny thing is that my Daughter was an only child and just 7 years old at that time, BUT the dirty looks I got from the Door Knockers were priceless to say the least.

Call the police!

Civil is always worthwhile. I sometimes get students and former students who are Jehovah's Witnesses at my door. They already know that I am agnostic and discussion ensues as well as reminiscences about the school I taught in and their memories of class with me. Good stuff. Others get a more formal treatment, but civil questions are most effective.

I reply with “In the beginning . . . Man did not understand, so he invented religion to explain everything.” It shuts them up and they go away speechless.

depends on how playful i'm feeling. anything from inviting them in for a drink, smoke, stick or sniff making sure they know contribution and participation is a must. sometimes i'll hear the pitch, look them dead in the eyes and say prove it. I want see, smell, taste, touch or hear it. if I can't do at least one of those. Bye and have a nice day.

I put up a sign on the door telling people that I do not believe and I am happy and content with the world, filled with love and kindness for friends and tolerant of others. If you knock though, all bets are off and the dogs come out.

My son and daughter-in-law have a sign on their door which reads:

NO SOLICITING AND NO PROSELTIZING

THANK YOU

Well, that was me 18 years ago. Life's definitely taken a 180 degree turn. However, having been in their shoes, I'll always be polite, offer them a glass of water, or a chance to warm up in the winter. If Mormons, I'll even engage with them, although the second they start to hear something that challenges their beliefs, they tend to shut down and run away as fast as they can.

I let them say their piece. It doesn't ruin my day, and it makes them feel like they at least got their chance to "save me". Now if they start getting pushy, or trying to shove things down my throat, then I'll make sure they understand that I'm not interested.

There’s little I enjoy more than talking to people about worldviews, so if I have time, I invite them in and try to demonstrate that living a reasoned life doesn’t require that a person be rude or uncivil. They are human beings. They are my neighbors. I want to make the best impression I can, and still be candid about my beliefs. The last group that came by, after finishing their required spiel and realizing I was not conversion material, lapsed into just being friendly folks and politely asked if they could snap some pics of my artwork. It was a pleasant encounter, and I like to think they might remember it as being different from their usual experience. I know the Mormon kids are away from home for two years, and live under constant scrutiny doing a mostly thankless task. I try to make my home a sanctuary where they can have a moment away from the glaring eyes of their supervisors, and let their hair down a bit. Some of them seem to appreciate it. I want them to see that there could be more than just one way to live a good life.

skado Level 9 Nov 28, 2017

I invite them in and enjoy the discussion. They won't convince me of anything but I'll learn something about a faith perhaps. That makes things worth while.

I tell them my sister is waiting for me upstairs in my den of sin, and then ask them if they want to get high and join me.

godef Level 7 Nov 27, 2017

Knock back

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:1448
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.