Agnostic.com

783 56

How do you deal with Door-knockers?

Whether they be Witnesses, Mormons, or another proselytizing religion, how do you deal with people coming to your door to spread their religion?
I just had my first experience since getting a place of my own and had a decent conversation through the crack in my door. After I told him I was an atheist he tried to use apologetics; when I told him I was familiar with his arguments and didn't find them convincing further explaining that I take a scientific route of belief and chose not to believe until there is evidence for a god. He understood and thanked me for explaining and listening to him and he left with a handshake. I was surprised at myself for how civil I was to him but how does everyone else usually respond?

Nicsnort 6 Oct 14

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

783 comments (176 - 200)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I had some JWs at the door a couple of weeks ago. I just said I wasn't interested as I am an atheist. They said OK and walked away. I felt a little sorry for them.

@LetzGetReal hmm, dunno why it had posted twice.

It has not happened to me in many, many years. But if it does, I hope to handle it the same way you did. You are very kind.

They don't bother my house that is a BnB....I have signs saying no solicitors and no door knockers. Across the street from my BnB, I have another house that I use as an office/library, storage, and private living space....and I have a Buddha statue and a Ganesha statue at the door of that house. I've seen JWs at the houses around my office-house, but they're never knocked...at least not when I was in there. No Mormons either even though I've seen them in the neighborhood too.

Some of them have the rare hability to swing my mood towards the bad side faster than the speed of light !! Perhaps they deserve a Physics Nobel prize

I simply would say ," no, thank you ." And gently close door.

@LetzGetReal lol, I don't think I am brave as you because I am the only atheist among my family. My mother , a pastor, warned me to never again speak of my mind since it does destroy her world.

I usually invite them in to continue the conversation over juice or tea.

I can't recall any religious people knocking on my door. I've lived in Utah for 2 years and I'm feeling a little rejected. I wonder if my neighbor's put me on a blacklist after a 3 minute conversation as I was moving in???

LDS bugged the crap out of a young lesbian neighbor in Alabama, she was too nice to be assertive even when they talked about homosexuality. I played the asshole card, but that's literally the only time I've had to deal with door knocker religious types.

It's almost like there's an anti-god keeping idiocy away from me???

Quick .... send him to DC... then down south... let's clean out the gene pool..

I live on 2.5 acres and 200 feet fron the road with 3 no trespassing signs not because I dislike people but for liability but years ago I’d get JWs or LDS and would greet them with Asalaam Alechum and tell them I was Muslim... honestly you never people walk away from me so fast

By carefully responding to a statement or query with a regressive question, i.e. the 'what before that?"question, "How/why did that happen?" etc., (obviously different for most opening conversations,) you can begin an infinite regress of questions which resolves with either a 'God and the devil must be the same thing' conclusion or 'what exists where God isn't.' This 'godless hole' or dual autonomy for an everlasting all-pervading being creates a conflict for the concept of an omnipresent being. Most Christian based evangelists will disappear at this point and leave you in peace. Zoroastrianism is worth a look to see how this type of conflict is approached and played out in a doctrinal/philosophical context.

Many years ago I would invite them in, thinking that I could enlighten or convince them that they were being very presumptuous. I naively thought you could have some sort of meaningful discourse with them as you might with intelligent, open minded people. I very quickly found that they are there to sell their bullshit to you and anything you say is totally ignored, hence, no more entry! That goes for the little boys on bicycles too.They are brainwashed so effectively at such a young age that it is frightening!

I think it begs the question ,and I think you rediscovered the dogma, rigidity , thoughtlessness of the representatives of their religion

Back in the early '80s, when I was a crackhead, I had a couple of JWs that used to come by on Saturday mornings. I got tired of it and answered the door naked. Problem solved. In all fairness, almost everything in my apartment was done naked at that time.

Fun fact; in the early '90s, when I married a bank robber, I used the same tactic to discourage the FBI from ringing my bell before noon. I was a bartender at the time and it was becoming a big problem for me.

I couldn't make this shit up.

You got some stories I bet! Please start a podcast or write a book to share with the class lol.

I'd try that but people would point and laugh.

I'd love to have seen their reaction!

I respond the same way as you. I also tell them I am concerned about them and hope they find the real meaning of life.

This is a COP OUT but it's what I do. I have a crucifix hanging on the wall facing the front door. It is put there for the very purpose of reference to any proselytizing faction of Christianity or (insert belief here). My immediate family knows I don't revere it's meaning in the traditional sense, but it keeps me from having to say more than, "sorry, we are devout catholics" (which we aren't) and ending the process there. In my experience, Catholics never go door to door, so no one ever calls me on it.

I might have to try that. Except I’ll be honest and say as I point to it, sorry but I’m in favor of violent ends for know it alls. That should work right?

@Wurlitzer --Might put you on some registry that keeps them off your stoop, worth a try.

When one of the JW's asked me if I had been raised in any religion and I replied "Catholic"....she leaned over to her companion and said ....that's why she's an atheist. I laughed all morning.

I ran off 2 Baptist ladies last summer. Told them my past and said I do not believe any longer. OMG! They had a fit. Nature, trees, and the sky proves there is a god, they said. If you mess with me too much I will destroy your arguments quickly using the very book you believe from. This is easy coz the bible is a jumbled mess. Let's assume you are Muslim. How do you believe that the prophet flew to heaven on a "winged horse?" This is an impossible fairy tale. Anyone ever heard of a winged horse? All holy writings have their idiotic areas.

Usually I try to be polite and say thanks but no thanks. I mostly get Jehovah's Witnesses, but I used to get Mormons on occasion. One time I tried to freak them out by inviting them to come over to my lord Satan (I have never been a satanist and do not believe in the devil). One time I asked a JW that came to my door how much success they got selling religion door to door. He replied that was not what they were doing. I said sure it is, and I have no use for what you are selling. Now I have a doorbell camera and I just don't answer the door.

If you get the point where they start sending the "big guns" out... ask them to verify the following: All life came from Adam & Eve, correct?.. They say "yes". Then say Adam & Eve had two sons, Cain & Abel, correct?"...and they say "Yes".... then say, "Well where did their WIVES come from?".... that usually sends them packing.

Fryan Level 5 June 1, 2018

The first ones are usually the "newbs"... so you mess them up with, "Is it true that God has a divine plan?".. they say "Indeed"... then say "Well if the plan is divine, why the fuck bother praying in the first place?... what's god supposed to do, change his plan, just for you?"

Fryan Level 5 June 1, 2018

Hahaaa! Good one, Fryan.

Depends if I am busy or not. If I am busy I give the a brush off.
If I am not I invite them in, that always gets me placed on their no knock list.

I handle it differently now that I live in a small Iowa town. I used to say "No thanks". In a larger city, I lived in an apartment and told one "No thanks, I am an atheist". Later that night I was in the kitchen with a sliding door. My roomate went out the door to the laundry and the minister jumped into the kitchen saying "I am here to save you". I also lived with my gun collecting brother and picked up a civil war pistol he was working on that I could easily stick my thumb in the barrel and told him to get out and to never come back. I don't remember seeing him again and we moved a couple of months later. The gun was unloaded. But, it was the only time that I have had to pull a gun and point it at someone in self defense. It was huge. Even unloaded I could have used it as a hammer if he hadn't stopped rushing toward me.

A friend of mine who lives in the South had the best answer. He said some Johovas Witnesses came bashing on his door. He said "good thing you came. we are ready for sacrifice, and all out of virgins". They ran! I point to the "NO SOLICITING" sign on my door, and slam it in their face. Look up Joe Safran door-to-door Atheist. I'm new here, and I assume swearing is frowned upon, or I'd post the link. It's true.

Why the fuck would you assume swearing is frowned upon? Unless you mean earnestly swearing in on a bible I’m sure none of us gives a rusty fuck or a good goddamn.

@Wurlitzer One time on here someone posted about just meeting the love of his life. I said something like "I don't want to piss in your pocket, but most relationships start off with puppy love that wears off". This guy got offended because I said that one word! He asked me to edit it. If there was a problem, admin should have told me.

@TheGreatShadow you’re shittin me ? piss? If you edited it for him you’re a more patient man than I. If there actually was a problem I’m sure admin would tell ya indeed. I’m not aware of any censorship rules on the site although I haven’t gone looking. I figured it was pretty obvious we’re all adults here and even borderline hate speech has been allowed to an extent as far as I’ve seen. Im sure we’re prob not supposed to sell anything or harass anyone directly but pretty much anything you wanna say in general is fair game as far as I’m concerned. But then again you can add “as far as I’m concerned” or “for all I care” to the end of any statement and make it true. So take that for what it’s worth.

@Wurlitzer No I didn't edit or delete it. I did shortly after get two messages saying rules about having a post blocked or deleted. I asked what it was about. Said they couldn't find anything. Don't know.

Don't answer. pretty simple

Depends on how I feel at the time. I'm never rude. These people have sincere faith, and the fact that I think its misguided is neither here nor there. As far as they are concerned they want to do something good for me so their hearts are n the right place, which I respect. Occasionally I'll have a discussion, but I'm worried that they will end up questioning their own faith.

I appreciate your sense of respect for the intentions, although I only have enmity for direct solicitation - what Seinfeld would call "The drop-in" - not a fan of the drop-in. That said, over time I've met many JW's / Mormon missionaries when they are out canvassing and have enjoyed discussing various topics with them. Most seem to be more respectful / less proselytizing when out in a public space.

@J3sse no offense but we Jews don’t dig proselytizing besides us who the hell else wants to be a Jew

I used to live way out in the country...On Fridays Jehovah witness kids would visit....they did this all summer and Ioved it....Mainly because I could drink my beer and converse....lol.....

Wezzy Level 4 May 29, 2018

I used to get very annoyed in my youth, but now I can carry on nice conversations about anything but religion. The last encounter I had was a group of women. I told them right away that I wasn’t interested, but them complimented one lady on her pretty dress. We ended up getting into a very nice conversation about all kinds of things except religion. So I guess my tactic is: be nice and divert. Lol

I have a sign posted on my porch that says no solicitations or preaching. If someone still knocks, I point at the sign and ask them if they can read. They usually turn and leave at that point.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:1448
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.