Agnostic.com

783 56

How do you deal with Door-knockers?

Whether they be Witnesses, Mormons, or another proselytizing religion, how do you deal with people coming to your door to spread their religion?
I just had my first experience since getting a place of my own and had a decent conversation through the crack in my door. After I told him I was an atheist he tried to use apologetics; when I told him I was familiar with his arguments and didn't find them convincing further explaining that I take a scientific route of belief and chose not to believe until there is evidence for a god. He understood and thanked me for explaining and listening to him and he left with a handshake. I was surprised at myself for how civil I was to him but how does everyone else usually respond?

Nicsnort 6 Oct 14

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

783 comments (651 - 675)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I say, I am an atheist please do not come to my home again.

I try to be nice cause I am a door knocker myself-as a campaign volunteer for the Democratic Party I do neighborhood canvassing.....People are usually pretty nice-but not everyone is....I try to be nice to everyone who knocks on my door.....I don't like being hateful or people being hateful to me

Mate u tell me that most people are polite but u chose not to be!! Nobody wants doorknockers no matter ur reason its a kindness to you alone not ur org to hear your pitch... But lets be clear your rude for thinking anyone has any reason or obligation to treat you with much respect when you trespass into their home space ... You come to my door you are diminishing my personal space and i tell u to leave right away and not afraid to remove u immediately given the need/want and without warning since u have trespassed to make it to my door !

Dunno what's up with Xander. He seems to have a caps lock issue. Never mind mate, someone has to get the word out that democracy is still alive in these dark days and you are right, no need to be nasty to the misguided.

Xander you are obviously seriously ill to reply like that......Therefore please try to restrain yourself from commenting on anymore of my posts cause you are way beyond my help....Try a psychiatrist...

listen mate i probably do but that's besides the point!
if im home im home leave me be!!
and if you want to say something about this BS we keep calling democracy a system that works then i think u need to see a psychiatrist!!! capitalist's in disguise ! a truly free and equal system would see most of us if not all of us on completely equal ground on works hours effort and reward! a tangent point but yeah!

@Xander. Put a "no solicitors" sign on your door, problem solved. o_O Geez...

That’s funny - I am much more likely to take a survey now that I collect survey data!

After reading some of the answers, I would advise all to check your local laws. While you can expect solicitors to be 'run off' by No Soliciting signs, religious reps are exempt from compliance. Threatening them may land you in jail. Yeah, unfortunately we do live in a budding theocracy.

Treating others as you would like others to treat you is a fair policy. Mutual respect goes a long way. However, this assumes that they in fact respect you and your right to hold your own beliefs without having to defend them.

@VirginiaMan65 Just cause it's funny - I read your name as "Virgin Man" and thought "Gee that's a good hook!". 😉 My monthly dyslexia just kicked in.

@Qualia THat doesn't work.

😟 @CGDEvermond It does in my city, with one exception & she got the cops called on her anyway for harrassment & threats to my dog for pushing his head through the screen to yell at her! . All our friends know to call or txt first.
In our case it was an Xfinity sales lady that thought the "no solicitors" sign was optional. She was wrong enough to get a complaint to her employer & a visit from the cops.

@zucicciu You can threaten them on your own property, but it's not advisable to do it in public.

Haven’t had to deal with it for a while, but I usually smile and say no thanks, then tell them to have a nice day.

I just tell them ...i don't believe in their murderer sadistic and evil God or any other

Post a sign that says, "If this house is a-rocking; don't come a-knocking".

If you answer the door with very little if any clothing on they will learn to leave you alone.

With out clothing on.

Naked.

Or maybe you would get raped. Don't think a woman should do that mate.

Stand on the other side of the door and knock back.

I find that a cordial no thank you tends to do the trick. If they persist, simply explained that it is hard to believe in anything without evidence. Remember if they're knocking on your door that typically means that they are true believers. Therefore you have just as much of a chance to educate them as they do you. You have made your decision based off of empirical data and lack of evidence and they have chosen the contrary.

I believe there's an invention that specifically targets this particular situation- it's called "a shotgun" XD

Seriously though, I just politely tell them that I've already got my own beliefs. They can have theirs, and I can have mine. And I don't accept any literature from them unless I think I can get a good laugh out of it XD

I have always wanted to stockpile some atheist literature to give them.

I tell them I once knew an elder from the jehovah's witnesses. i'm all good with that.

I just sit on the other side of the door and knock back in repeat. (I really just made that up but it sounds like a fun thing)

Answer the door wearing nothing but a rainbow wig. I then invite them in, since "the festivities are just about to begin." I honestly don't know what I'd do if anyone accepted and followed me into the house.

Depending on my day - I usually inform them of my lack of interest, take their literature, wish them a nice day. However, if it is disruptive to my day - I can be quite...curt....

Answer it naked

Hi. I might sound mean, but i think life is too short not to have a good laugh.
About 2 years ago it happened to me, i was coming back from a walk with my dogs and saw door-knockers were coming, so i had time to prepare.
I found an old necronomicom look alike book i had when a was a teen, and when they came,i smiled weirdly, book in my hand and i gave them the classic " Hi ! Im a agent of Satan, but my duties are mostly ceremonials. What blood type are you guys ? Wanna come in ? "
About 5 seconds of silence later, they thank me for my time and left. I told them they can come back anytime.Never heard of them again. Kind of miss them

Love it!

lol

Ramen!

It depends on my mood. Some days I simply politely tell them I'm not interested. Some days I tell them to "fuck off" and then there are those days I'll answer the door butt naked and invite them in. If they are crazy enough to accept my invitation at that point, I'll debate them until I grow bored and then ask them to leave unless on the off chance I perform a successful "conversion" LMAO!

You have my brain moving now. I'm interested to hear about such a conversion, if one is even possible, and what the outcome was. Interesting.

@Csoncrant89 like I stated, on the off chance. I never converted anyone. But I have sent a couple of them running away in horror lol!

I just tell them I'm atheist and that they should fuck off.

I used to refuse to open the door, but then I figured, it's MY HOUSE & THEY are intruding onto MY space, why should I hide? So now I open the door with a huge smile on my face & invite them in - and without giving them a chance to get a word in edge-wise, I start preaching my Antago-theism to them and ridiculing their beliefs as idiotic rantings of morons, etc .. until they run for the door ..! I've have several grab their crosses & hold them up in my face, as if to fend off my evil, LOL!!

Coming from a Mormon background, I try to send them away with respect. Most door-knockers do not want the respect if it comes with a NO. They will still argue with me about my personal experiences and try to mansplain why things didn't happen that did. So I don't engage, just say no and shut the door.

I simple say that I have way too many more important tasks to be accomplishing than to engage in a battle of wits with a defenseless person.

"Could you help me sacrifice this lamb?"
someone baa'ing in the background

lol

Too funny!!!!!!

add, " god dammit Jesus shut up!!! You are the noisiest lamb I ever had, and that's why you got to go first...."

I answer the door in my shorts and a bottle of liquor in my hand.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:1448
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.