Agnostic.com

783 56

How do you deal with Door-knockers?

Whether they be Witnesses, Mormons, or another proselytizing religion, how do you deal with people coming to your door to spread their religion?
I just had my first experience since getting a place of my own and had a decent conversation through the crack in my door. After I told him I was an atheist he tried to use apologetics; when I told him I was familiar with his arguments and didn't find them convincing further explaining that I take a scientific route of belief and chose not to believe until there is evidence for a god. He understood and thanked me for explaining and listening to him and he left with a handshake. I was surprised at myself for how civil I was to him but how does everyone else usually respond?

Nicsnort 6 Oct 14

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

783 comments (151 - 175)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I ask with all earnestness what bikes they recommend.

Back in the days when I had yet to fully embrace my atheism, I told a JW that "I have my own route to god". He asked what it was and I said "maths". He was fascinated and I ended up taking him into the woods to look for pine cones to demonstrate Fibonacci ratios in nature. After about 90 mins, he left without having mentioned the Bible once.

It's very important to be civil and clearly explain your views if you care about sewing tiny seeds of doubt that might one day free them from their . You did exactly the right thing.

It might be fun to be rude it try to trigger them (eg my gay lover will be back from mass any moment) but in the case of JWs they are thoroughly trained to expect negativity and it reinforces their church's teaching that the devil is in control of "the world" (ie anyone who is not a JW).

I've live here in az. now 25+yrs they have only come to my door once you can always see them coming you know the sun shines off there halos you answer with a copy of origin of species they want to tell you about the lord I want to tell them bout mine Charles Darwin have never been back I think they pull some kind of invisible mark on your door

We have a Mezzuzah on the door frame as we (are) Jewish. I just point to it and say “ I’m one of the chosen, are you?”

I have had fun with those kinds of encounters, but usually I politely state that I have "absolutely no interest in engaging in a religious debate", wish them a pleasant day, and close the door. If I expect anyone to respect my beliefs, then I should first extend that courtesy to someone wanting to share theirs. My city has a "no soliciting" code, and I will also politely explain that to them. For those who argue that their proselytizing (my word choice) is allowed, I counter with this is precisely the reason for the law! I don't mind girl scout cookie sellers, but not religions!

Rustee Level 7 June 28, 2018

If I even do open the door, I laugh at them, shake my head and just say "no thank you" and then add "idiots" as I'm closing the door

"I understand that you think you're doing something good, but unless you have some actual proof, I'm going to treat you like any other con artist trying to rip me off."

I had them the Koran, and if they Aren't Mormon, I had them the Book of Mormon. It tends to work out well enough.

Once, I asked the Jehovah's Witnesses if they could provide me with a bundle of "The Watchtower" to hand out to friends and family, that was after i allowed them to visit me over an hour and pretended I would consider it. For the next few months, Non-Jehovah's witness visitors got a New and Speeecial door priiize! 🙂

When I was 18, I spent a short period of time where I sold Cutco sooo I would take advantage of door knockers by turning it around and practicing my Knife Selling presentation on them! I mean, they Think they aren't walking into a Spiders web until... "hellllo here comes a possible customer!" haha! You know the funniest part is... I ACTUALLY sold 5 knife sets to Door Knockers in this manner! haaahaa I'm serious, too. 😉

Sadoi Level 7 June 25, 2018

The same way I treat any pusher (drugs, salesmen, religious people) -- I tell them I don't like pushers. I seek out dealers. Pushers seek out others. I also do the same for phone sales. Door-to-door was once consider the 'back-bone of American'. I do not think so at all.

xyz123 Level 7 June 25, 2018

I don't answer the door for unexpected knocks. Anyone I consider worthy of knocking on my door has my cell number & would have called ahead.

My mode of operation exactly...too funny

Those fools knock on my door I invite them for a talk about Allah, and I take down a thick book fromt the shelf and claim its the Koran. They usually run for the hills.

There's no requirement that I open my door just because somebody knocks!

I answer the door naked or in my boxers. They don't want to see that and I don't want to see them.

Lol...I've got this scenario in my head now: "Honey! Its those damned jehova bastards...Quick... take off your clothes and answer the door!

Until I lived in sheltered accommodation, my partner and I were living in an isolated cottage - J.W's came one day and they were really 'in need' we let them in and counselled them both for a while My partner and I are both Counsellors and they were extremely troubled, eventually it came out that a bishop had put his 'holy seed' into the mans wife and they were struggling to understand. I ma so glad that I have never ever had a religious bone in my body - let alone holy seed!

jacpod Level 8 June 21, 2018

That's the best way to handle it sad thing is there persistance to convert they feel the need to get as many into there group but you did the right thing I think!! Cool

Drew69 Level 7 June 20, 2018

I have had many a person come to the door wanting to preach religion. What I found works so they don't come back is to know more about religion from a philosophical level. Thay leave better informed than when they arrived and as i do most of the talking lol i don't cop an ear bashing. Must admit have moved to the country they don't venture out here like the city.

Great tat. Almost all door knockers are JoHos in this country (was different in Canada). When you ask them basic questions about Genesis they often don't know the answers. When you point out the basic error of Creation where day and night are created three days before the sun and the moon, they never have an answer.

But the point of my responding is, these people never walk away better informed. They are close minded and have been brainwashed. Nothing ever gets through to them. Maybe you have had a different experience. Or maybe, you are just more articulate and convincing

I have had many a person come to the door wanting to preach religion. What I found works so they don't come back is to know more about religion from a philosophical level. Thay leave better informed than when they arrived and as i do most of the talking lol i don't cop an ear bashing. Must admit have moved to the country they don't venture out here like the city.

Door knackers for unwanted Door knockers.?

To really sinch the issue, add nails or spikes on the rest of the door to make it impossible to knock manually.

I never answer the door unless I'm expecting someone. If the doorbell rings I'm pretty sure it's either someone selling something (religion or otherwise) or a homicidal maniac, and I hate it when that happens.

Well, I enjoy teasing them. The most common are Jehovah's witnesses. I use their own knowledge against them. I start off with how do they pronounce God's name, where it is specifically stated in Torah that God's name can not be pronounced? And where they spell it, there are no vowels.

Then I ask them what Bible did Jesus and the Apostles use? The Torah. So, if it was good enough for them, why not you?

I don't even get into the reason of atheism, I just use their own materials to make fools of them.

Of course, then I point put the Jews never took the Torah literally, even the concept of God was a metaphor, which is why over 52% of Jews are atheists, but embrace the culture and nation, while thinking the concept of God silly.

We have always been as polite - but short - as possible. Since we moved up here to the TN mountains, we have had them come by - usually groups of two or three men - until a couple of years ago. It was early in the morning when the doorbell rang and while I was struggling to open the door while containing a 100 lb German Shepherd, I had a slight "wardrobe malfunction". I don't know who was more embarrassed -- me or them. They skedaddled pretty fast and we didn't have any more visits for about 2 years - now they've started up again but they're sending the women now! 😉 😉

In Germany I was once forced to answer the door wrapped in a towel because the JW's wouldn't stop ringing the doorbell while I was having a shower (I was working nightshifts at the time). They were an older guy and a younger woman, I looked at them and said "hey we're having an orgy, you fancy joining in"? I was never bothered by JW's again in Germany and only once more elsewhere (Netherlands). I think I've been blacklisted! 😀

Pete66 Level 6 June 18, 2018

A few years back I let a Jehovah's Witless in, just to hear their spiel for entertainment. Almost immediately I noticed that she kept looking at my coffee table, where I had my paintball gun and supplies sitting out for cleaning from my previous day's fun. She didn't seem to know the difference between paijntball and real guns, and didn't stay long. But a few weeks later she called the police and claimed that I was a terrorist and had hostages, which led to a SWAT team surrounding my house. I wasn't home at the time, and eventually the police figured out that it was a crank call and left. I didn't find out about it for weeks.

I don't let them in anymore.

Been years, but I laugh and shut the door.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:1448
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.