Agnostic.com

783 56

How do you deal with Door-knockers?

Whether they be Witnesses, Mormons, or another proselytizing religion, how do you deal with people coming to your door to spread their religion?
I just had my first experience since getting a place of my own and had a decent conversation through the crack in my door. After I told him I was an atheist he tried to use apologetics; when I told him I was familiar with his arguments and didn't find them convincing further explaining that I take a scientific route of belief and chose not to believe until there is evidence for a god. He understood and thanked me for explaining and listening to him and he left with a handshake. I was surprised at myself for how civil I was to him but how does everyone else usually respond?

Nicsnort 6 Oct 14

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

783 comments (201 - 225)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

In our neighborhood we have a homeowners group rules that helps keep solicitation of thus Hyperion. this helps to keep the door knockers out of the neighborhood. And the event that we get door knockers we just call homeowners groups leaders tell them about the problem and they send security out

Depends on my mood and my perception. Sometimes you can see them sizing up the paintwork, the veranda furniture, your clothes/jewellery and you know they are sharks patrolling the gullible pool. Other times they are genuine folks just out to do some good in the world. I had a couple of kids (early twenties) recently who simply asked if I had any chores I needed help with and made no attempt to evangelise/preach etc, and another guy who deeply appreciated the chance to sit in the shade with a cool drink for a while and have a bit of a break/chat. In my opinion, we need to be aware of the sharks, the parasites and the unbalanced zealots, but also to remain aware that there are good people out there who are struggling to get through life and make a positive impact on their way, just like we are.

Well said 😉

Generally I'll listen to their pitch. Observe their body language, tone. After listening for a bit I'll tell them I'm agnostic and gauge their response, and how they adjust their technique.

I then grade them silently like I'm judging a competition.

I don't let them in my home, either.

It has been several years since I’ve encountered a door-knocker. In recent years I’ve grown tremendously in my knowledge and passion for atheism, so I really look forward to my next door-knocker. I plan to invite them in and engage in a polite, in-depth conversation.

I just say "not interested" and close the door...BUT once my Aunt invited them into her home and told them..."Ill go to church with you if you go to the bar with me and well get drunk together"....they never came back!!

As a twelve year old in Britain, I once answered the door to Mormons and said the first thing that came into my head: "We're all communists here." They positively fled.

My brother-in-law invites God-botherers in for a cup of tea and very politely demolishes any argument they care to present. I tried something similar, again in Bllighty, and invited one (a Jehovah's Witness?) in for a meeting of the minds. I knew it was a lost cause when he told me in all seriousness that, following whatever passes for the Rapture within his sect, the land would be rolled back - taking with it the nuclear power plants and their long-long-lasting and unstable radioactive core that I'd expressed concern about - to reveal a bright, newly minted Eden. Ghost Dancers of the 1890s had the same (in their case, desperately) wishful solution to the fatal encroachment of Europeans and the near-genocidal tactics of the US army.

I usually tell them I don't have time and they go away. Once one of them answered me "How can you not have time for the one that created time?" I just laughed and closed the door.

Alexa Level 5 May 16, 2018

I use phenomonology or street epistemology... They can't cope with people who think.

I take one look; say "no thanks" and shut the door

I am hospitable and polite I ask them in and offer them a beer or smoke(weed) or whatever I have and exspain that I’m an atheist and tell them POLITELY that they are fucking crazy.

I have had Witnesses come and "visit". I hear them out and even take their literature. I have found that, if you question them enough about some of the idiotic parts of the Bible they will reach a point where they will not be able to find an answer. Since I am retired I have plenty of time and there is plenty of shit in the Bible to ask questions about.

I was a farmer on Delmarva, the Mormon elders who weren't old enough to shave would show up looking for my step daughter. She had joined in D.C. Zbut lived in So Cal. I never drew my pistol, but I told them to strip off the white shirts and pick up a shovel or I'd call the sherrif... I think if one comes here to 22643, I will put them on their knees, hands on top of head and give them a large pebble to suck on (Polynesian punishment tech) until the Sheriffs arrive...... I don't own a backhoe anymore.

Mooning can be effective.

If I answer the door, I'm nekkid!

I also have a well read Bible at my front door stand. I ask them to explain Isaiah 45:7.

My father has used to ask, and this only works for believers in Jesus, "what can you tell me about the Council of Nicea?" And when they inevitably replied... "what?" He'd tell them to look it up and come back.

Awesome Dad, right there!

I talk with them and debate them. I always treat them with respect. I used to evangelize myself, I get where they're coming from. I essentially take it as an opportunity to evangelize atheism. Many of the most outspoken atheists are former believers. Maybe I can get them to Join our ranks

I talk with them and debate them. I always treat them with respect. I used to evangelize myself, I get where they're coming from. I essentially take it as an opportunity to evangelize atheism. Many of the most outspoken atheists are former believers. Maybe I can get them to Join our ranks

Just tell them I am not Christian and don't care to discuss it.

I do have fun with them. I'm a show me type of guy & ask those kind of questions.

I like engaging them civilly. I tend to go for a Platonic questioning route and let them talk and inevitably they talk themselves into something silly. Usually this repeats over and over, but I'm good with that if I have the time.

I get the feeling they never get to talk without it being a pitch and I've had some lovely conversations on mild sunny days where the elder of the two rushed the younger away when they started nodding at my statements.

I've found that people who want to tell me all about their religion almost never want to hear about mine.

It depends on what kind of mood I am in. If I am wearing my Mickey Mouse T-shirt, I will patiently listen to them, take a copy of their reading material and thank them for "sharing"
If not...I listen to them, nod in the affirmative, ask questions to make them think I am about to become a believer and then tell them "Nah..I'm good.

If I am feeling naughty, I will listen to them with a confused look on my face and then ask them something uncomfortable, like.."what does your faith teach about masturbation?"

@LetzGetReal I figured it would get them to praying hard or running!!???

I tell them there is no Solicitation in my community and they have 5 seconds to leave before I call the police.

It's nice to have a Mossberg 500 at port arms when you explain..... Have never made a citizens Arrest, may happen, getting old and cranky!

I used to let them in on account of while they were with me they were not bothering anyone esle but now I live in sheltered accommodation and its probabaly better that they don't takeup 26 peoples time.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:1448
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.