Agnostic.com

783 56

How do you deal with Door-knockers?

Whether they be Witnesses, Mormons, or another proselytizing religion, how do you deal with people coming to your door to spread their religion?
I just had my first experience since getting a place of my own and had a decent conversation through the crack in my door. After I told him I was an atheist he tried to use apologetics; when I told him I was familiar with his arguments and didn't find them convincing further explaining that I take a scientific route of belief and chose not to believe until there is evidence for a god. He understood and thanked me for explaining and listening to him and he left with a handshake. I was surprised at myself for how civil I was to him but how does everyone else usually respond?

Nicsnort 6 Oct 14

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

783 comments (51 - 75)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I tell them I'm an atheist , they just leave.

Me reply to door knockers is always the same....
I am a practicing Theodolite, thank you anyway.

I went to a small Christian college and every Saturday morning when I had a Hangover the Christians would knock on my door and asked “if I would go to church with them Sunday morning?” Christians did this to make sure that you weren’t being “poached” proselytized by different denomination And that you were attending your specific church affiliation.

I found out that when I filled out my college application Which asks “my religious Affiliation” this information is given to Christians to check up and see if you are attending church.

So the next year I declared that I was an “orthodox druid”—And was very sure that no one else on campus was a druid. And as I suspected, no “Orthodox druid” came and knocked on my door asking if I would go to church with them on Sunday. Christians are not very smart.

I am actually looking forward to the next door knockers. I haven't had any in years. I have lots of things to discuss with them. While it is not easy to deconvert people, i look forward to the opportunity, LOL.

Your response made me remember a summer when my girls were in high school. A couple of young mormon men regularly rode their bikes through the neighborhood and introduced themselves to my girls. I was going to tell them both to piss off, but I listened in on their conversation. My girls were slaying these guys. It was great. They were throwing all the stuff they'd learned about the bible and philosophy and history and these guys didn't know their ass from a hole in the ground. I was so proud!
These guys came by several times that summer. They were all close in age, I knew they were all attracted to each other, in addition to the fact both sides took up the challenge to convince the other. I never got into the conversations but hovered close by and so enjoyed all the byplay. The mormons finally did give up. But my girls had a lot of fun with the "the front porch debates".

The Seventh-day Adventist’s, the Mormons, & the church of God nuts are the best fun. Their specific religious beliefs are so wacky it just becomes a comedy act.

Ask yourself, 1) could I have fun with this. 2) can I learn something here? 3) can this sharpen my atheist epistemology tool box.

It's good for you dealing fairly well with those door knockers. I usually open the door, smile back say 'sorry I don't have time' and shut the door. Am i being rude? Lol

"Nah, I'm good" (shuts door)

KenWG Level 3 Nov 26, 2018

I challenge ...

Those who are challenging the religious are doing their “civic duty” to clean up this societal mental illness. Thank you very much.

Since I used to be the one doing the knocking, I have some compassion for these folks. It was never a natural thing for me to do and I hated it. I was dragged into it by my parents. Depending on my mood, I either don’t answer the door or I explain that I’m a former and no longer interested.

I appreciate your mention of compassion. It can get pretty hot where I live, and I’ll sometimes offer folks some water. Just because the ideas don’t at all resonate with me, no reason to be nasty or inconsiderate.

And what kind of torture is it for these poor Mormon kids to have to spend two years wearing a white shirt, black pants and a bicycle helmet pedaling around neighborhoods looking like escapees From a mental institution?!

I had this problem in Utah. After several visits in which I told the Mormons I was not interested I tried telling them I was Jewish. They never came back.

What you observed is very interesting because it does appear that Christians are afraid of Jews - because after all Jews are God‘s chosen people. Or so the fairytale myths say in the Bible.

@Weismonger I always wondered why they were so supportive of Israel!

@Weismonger so they are afraid of Jews because Jews are God's chosen people? Did they think God made a bad choice? If so, would that not be blasphemous? That also makes me wonder, if the Jews were the chosen ones, why do Christians keep on praying to him? Whenever I am in a situation where I am not chosen for something, I just go home. That's my rule with Supreme Beings. If they don't pick me I don't stick around to grovel to them and fawn all over them. I mean it's not like there aren't plenty of others to choose from, right?

I just say no thanks and close the door.

I find it interesting I was seeing a payient the other day for therapy and she disclosed she had fallen in love. When i enquired more detail. She responded that two young mormons from the USA had visited her every day. I sat listerned and then got her to explore her fantasies cause at the end of the day tjis young woman is a professed sex addict. I am happy to say after lots of time and exploration. She now understands this guy would never go to her fantas3place as hes on a mission. Love how you send these young lost mormons over by the boat load to door knock. Maybe we should take of some of Trumps anyics lol. Glad these people don't get to stay. I find American religion quite soul destroying. Food for thought. ☺

I try to out crazy them. For example if they claim to have heard the word of God I mention that I hear the word of Cuthulu and he says to unleash choas upon the world. They usually leave quickly after that lol

That is just hilarious—combating religion with humor seems to work very well.

I don't

First mistake is opening the door. I stop moving around until they go away. Then I wait 10 minutes just to be sure.

I find it entertaining when the religious knock on my door. I let them in and enjoy the debate.

Where I live I don't get these visits. If I did I would be happy to engage them in respectful conversation.

Pretty much says it all

I generally either politely tell them nope or chat them up either because one; they are pleasant to talk too and listen or two; to see their faces as I politely break down my personal point of view and challenge them not by saying they are wrong so much as we can't both be and neither of us are budging so why not just agree to disagree or write my off as doomed cause really I am not buying what you are selling.

Quarm Level 6 Nov 6, 2018

I do not engage proselytizing people. I simply say no thanks. There really is no point in engaging with people who believe a story that starts with a talking snake.

I ignore them.

I pick them up and punch them against the door several times until someone answers.

Oh... Sorry, wrong kind of door knocker. I need to read more carefully. ?

I got a couple of knockers the other day in fact. Although I think they are cuckoo for Cocoa Puffs I treat them just as I would anyone else trying to sell me something I'm not interested in. I politely say no thank you, smile & wish them a nice day.
They are still human beings (albeit brainwashed) but I won't be shitty to anyone simply because I disagree with their lifestyle or choices.

Depends on their behaviour. I'll usually invite them in and educate them on their own book. Simple logic can be explained away as just "stuff against God" but when you take the words from thier own book they will stop and think a littke bit before thier little brains melt.

At the top of my lungs, I scream, "don't touch my cock!" over and over, like calling for help, while maintaining eye contact.
I'm hoping it catches on and more people do the same.

Sorry but I’m no sure that is the best tact

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:1448
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.