Agnostic.com

783 56

How do you deal with Door-knockers?

Whether they be Witnesses, Mormons, or another proselytizing religion, how do you deal with people coming to your door to spread their religion?
I just had my first experience since getting a place of my own and had a decent conversation through the crack in my door. After I told him I was an atheist he tried to use apologetics; when I told him I was familiar with his arguments and didn't find them convincing further explaining that I take a scientific route of belief and chose not to believe until there is evidence for a god. He understood and thanked me for explaining and listening to him and he left with a handshake. I was surprised at myself for how civil I was to him but how does everyone else usually respond?

Nicsnort 6 Oct 14

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

783 comments (751 - 775)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

It's been a while since I had a door knocker. Probably 10 yrs +. I used to enjoy inviting them in. Give them a cup of tea , and discuss God. I'm still not a believer but I suspect some of them are having a few doubts as well.

So true. It's always good to be nice to people. We lead by example.

If I have time, I sometime will invite them (it seems always more than one) in for coffee and tea and have a little discussion. If I feel like being mischievious, invite them for a gay orgy next weekend, that usually will ensure their quick exit. Hahaha!

I ask door knockers "what exactly do the churches do with the cash donations they receive? because people are still homeless and children are still starving"

When they ask if I can spare a minute to talk about their Lord and savior Jesus Christ, I invite them in and say, "Sure, I'm happy to help. What is it you'd like to know?"

Answer the door and be cordial. Then, for no explained reason, look up in the air and talk to your dead mother like she is bugging you about something. then go back to their conversation. Mom, may interrupt again. Talk to her. by the third time, they usually leave shaking.

As a former 20 year door knocker, I should warn you that if you engage with them, your address will be noted as a person of good will. The visits will then multiply. Also, you can't change their minds and they attend weekly ministry school to learn how to overcome objections. You best response is to politely say " No thank you, I'm not interested". Do not offer more information or they will feel engaged. Gently close the door. I only say "gently" because slamming the door is aggressive and hurts their feelings, which isn't necessary.

By all means please come in I welcome the opportunity to explain why I am an atheist .

Answer the door naked
It works they will leave you alone

Indeed, along with some Heavy Metal playing in the background. LOL

this all depends on the mood I am in and the available time I have

Take their pamphlet. Tell them you are very busy and need to get back to work, then politely shut to door on them.

BD66 Level 8 Oct 17, 2017

I close the door. I figure that makes my position clear. I treat them the same way I treat cable salespeople.

I live on an acreage. I have 2 big German shepherds and a sign on the gate that says " Please close gate - Dogs loose in yard". Once the JW's came and were "pinned" to their car - not allowed to get back in or step away from it until I came around to the parking area. I told them they should leave and never come back. They haven't.

I surely hope your Shepherds have a regular medical check-up.

Neil Young, formerly of the folk/rock group CSN & Y have a nice song about Alberta titled "Four Strong Winds" he says "weather's good there in the fall." Must really be a photographer's paradise there right now with all the colors of autumn.

If I ever get a chance to choose my place for retirement Canada is on top of my list

I just let my 2 mastiffs answer the door. That takes care of it.

ho-ho-ho! must be some mastiffs

I have this little notice posted on my front door:

Never Mind The Dog . . . BEWARE OF THE OWNER

I simply say in my best Ruth Gordon impersonation, we belong to The First Church of Satan..come on in...!

LOL

Politely tell them you are not interested.

I used to pretend to be civil but it only encourages them. I used to be more tolerant of religious people and their beliefs. But I look at the world and the harm inflicted by religion and see no reason to be polite. We are in the midst of a cultural war between the intolerance of belief and the rise of secular humanism and rational thought. As a gay man I have borne the brunt of religion attempting to influence our supposedly secular civil government. "Family values" and "Defense of Marriage" are used as weapons in an attempt to infringe upon the civil rights of those of us who do not buy into their narrative. Tax free donations to religious organizations are used to initiate bigoted ballot referendums and our military is used to impose cultural imperialism on other nations spurred on by religious wing nuts who lobby those sympathetic to their cause in Congress and even state legislatures. I now lay in wait for anyone foolish enough to knock on my door with their idiotic babble and bible tracts. I shut them down as quickly as possible, tell them to get off the property and have even been known to chase them down the street hurling epithets. Just recently two women came to my door with two children in tow. I angrily accused them of child abuse and when they hesitated to leave I chased them to the curb with a rolled up newspaper held menacingly in my hand. One woman was in tears. Good! I'm sure I made no converts but neither did they and the fracas drew attention from my neighbors several of whom later congratulated me tired of the annoyance of these people knocking on their doors. The world is embroiled in numerous wars all of which have some religious component to them. Christians, in particular, are responsible for millions of deaths in recent times in their endless Crusades against the non-believers and even violently quarrel amongst themselves as in Northern Ireland. The US military is in the forefront of these Crusades and I resent their activities carried out in my name. Just come to my door with your nonsense. Make my day!

That's a very, very thorough observation of the world we live it. Very Admirable.

I've always been cordial. I say no thank you, I'm an athiest and they just go oooh ok bye. Lol

My Dog keeps them away from the Door, if they show the nuts to come into the yard it takes only one look at my look and they go away!

Laugh and close the door.

I used to be cordial and invite people in but it became uncomfortable getting rid of them so I resorted to quickly saying I wasn't interested and when asked why not simply replied that I didn't want to talk about it. I used to live a short distance from a mormon temple and would on occasion get a missionary come by to try to convert me that I thought I got good at rejecting but one day when the bell rung when I opened the door to see five young girls well three young girls in their teens and two young girls about 10 or 12 maybe younger standing there all dressed in their sunday best all holding their bibles smiling and grinning at me in anticipation I burst out in uncontrolled laughter. I felt so badly for them and still do to this day for having humiliated and rejected at such a young age by my heathen pagan self such hopeful, willing souls to bring the heathens to god.. It was all I could do to just say I'm sorry and quickly and quietly close the door. I was so ashamed but still giggling gleefully. So I guess laughing in their faces works. It'd be hella funny to someday somehow hear the horror story of one of their first attempts at missionary work and this asian dude laughed us off his porch. So there ya have it. Hope ya learned something or were at least entertained. It's all true!! LMAO

SamL Level 7 Oct 15, 2017

I'll drink to that

Bought my first house last year, and now I'm living in a small city. Had a nice couple come to the door last summer with a flyer for a religious event they were holding. After a very brief explanation, they asked if I was interested, and I just smile and politely said, "no, thank you." They wanted me to to take their flyer anyway, so I did. I seem to have always imagined that I'd be more clever or bold in a situation like this, but I kinda blew it.

I was sitting in the living room yesterday when I noticed a man leaving my porch. I was reading, and didn't notice him approach the door. He didn't knock. I assume he tried the doorbell which doesn't work, and left when I didn't answer. I watched as he and a younger man went to the two houses across the street. No one was home there either. When they were safely gone, I checked the porch to see if they'd left literature, and there was a postcard sized ad in my screen door handle. It was a local politician running for city council. Kinda bummed, because after looking him up, I kinda wished I'd been able to talk to him.

Better have your doorbell fixed, asap. Mr. Postman always rings twice.

I invite them in if I have time, then I close the door behind them and block it. You see I am 6 foot 5 inches tall and about 250 pounds they aren't getting out unless I let them. Once the door closes then my fun begins. Very few ever come back.

Oh, that is hilarious!

I rarely ever have this happen. If I happen to see them coming, I don’t answer the door. If I’m caught off guard, I usually listen for a little bit but then tell them I’m not interested.

I had a sign on my door that said "No solicitors, especially religious." It worked.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:1448
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.