Agnostic.com

500 20

What moral code do you follow now that you are non-religious?

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

500 comments (101 - 125)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

The Golden Rule

It's called. Don't be a dick.

The way this question is couched is almost offensive - I'm so tired of the presupposition that if you're not religious, you have no moral code or that it's somehow vastly different from a religious person's.
The main difference for me is that I care about people first - not my congregation, political party, my "tribe," or any other group I may be associated with. We have it within us to make the world better and to do what is right. A William Peter Blatty quote I have always loved is, "Every kind thought is the hope of the world."

I agree. Defining ourselves by what we are not seems to be a ridiculous way of doing so. Do religious people refer to themselves as "non-Atheist"? 😉

I didn't think about it before, but I do agree after reading your comment.

A religious moral code seems to be kill the opposition, been going on for thousands of years... morality at its highest

I continue to be kind to others, help where I can, and avoid hurting feeling as well as bodies. How else?

"Don't be a dick" generally works for me.

"Harm no one. Do as you will."

The one dictated by common sense.

Religion has nothing to do with my thinking on this subject-it never did. I believe in being kind. That's it.

I have have been influenced a lot by the works of Erich Fromm. In his work, The Sane Society, and other books of his, he clarifies that morality is not based on religion. In fact religion has been a terrible threat to morality in virtually every area or life. The moral code I follow is that people should have as much freedom as possible so long as their freedoms do not collide with other's freedoms. The issue of how to define the "right" in moral ethics has come to the same conclusion. Then, when normative ethics are applied in a society the laws are to reflect in the least restrictive way possible that people's freedoms are paramount unless you are restricting someone else's. The casuistry of how this gets applied in various situations is dependent on prevailing views and could change over time. I tend to agree with Noam Chomsky that a democratic anarchism is perhaps the best in the long run.

Me too! I'm having difficulty using it as a noun - quite a moutful "You're such a casuistrist!"

Empathy-based, definitely. How does what I do impact how others feel?

"Do unto others as you would have them do unto you."

Except when they're trying to kill you, perhaps.

I follow the same moral code that most people follow. I think morality comes from a sense of empathy and the understanding that cooperation with our fellows simply works better than striving against them. The so called golden rule is a good way to live. Of course, that was around centuries before the alleged Jesus was born (IF he was born). I have observed that religious people, with their biblical "moral compass," don't seem to be any more moral than atheists, and rather less so in all too many cases.

Common sense, reason, and respect for others. ...don't do anything to someone that you wouldn't want them to do to you, and that includes respecting what makes them who they are. There are factors that were ingrained into my growth and development as a child growing up in a Catholic/Christian family that are common sense concepts, like not stealing or killing people, but they follow common sense. What religion does Not teach is how to accept that others are just fine without faith or that it's ok to let them believe whatever they choose to believe (or not believe), because everyone has the right to find inner peace in whatever way they can find it. Think things through and spread love and help each other. (Now if only the Catholic Church spawned guilt complex they pushed on me would go away!)

I personally follow logical thinking, moral correctness, and my personal political standards, no hippocrates.

I suppose I follow the Judeo-Christian ethic. Do unto others and all that.

Kill your children when they're rude to you. Another "ethic" in the bible. Please don't cherry-pick (I know old habits die hard, so you're forgiven...)

I follow a pretty simple one, "Don't be an asshole." May the administrators forgive this indiscretion, but I had to be honest.

I think that says it perfectly!

My moral code never changed. It has always been:

Be nice to people.
Help people out.
Understand that everyone has problems.
Don't look down your nose at people.

TamiB Level 3 Oct 8, 2017

What makes any one think religion has a lock on morality? Moral code. Don't be a dick period.

A moral code based upon mutual respect, compassion and maximum freedom of choice, empathy, compassion, kindness. Far better than the arbitrary, ancient, inane and often insane rules set forth by controlling, oppressive religions

Love everybody and don't be a dick.

Don't be a jerk.

critical thinking - we are able to have critical discussions and conversations for the purpose of determining what is the morally right thing to do.

I think the Humanists nailed it with their "good without God" motto.

My own, based in compassion.Religion doesn't make good people.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:35
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.