Agnostic.com

500 20

What moral code do you follow now that you are non-religious?

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

500 comments (276 - 300)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I have empathy, virtues, a conscience, the logic of consistency, I don't use dogma to determine right and wrong. Which also means what was once moral or amoral like slavery can be immoral today. But the Golden Rule, the maxim of reciprocity through empathy, is a good description encapsulating it.

Treat others the way you want to be treated - even though that is a religious tenent, I do not see it as exclusively religious, and I'm not convinced the saying started out that way. As with many things religious, it was commandeered from civilian life and made into a religious thing.

Dee56 Level 2 Oct 1, 2017

The golden rule "do unto others as you would have done to yourself", I think that's right.

the golden rule is all we need

I follow the old "golden rule" until someone does me wrong. Then I tend to follow a different set of rules.

I think Wil Wheaton says it best, don't be a dick! But really, try to leave this place a little better, everyone is equal, love is love and all that jazz! I think it's absurd to think I have to believe in a tale in order to be moral, or that if I screw up and just ask for forgiveness it's ok. That is some flawed logic to me.

Scott Clifton put it perfectly, IMO.

I try to follow the same moral code as laid out in this site, and I follow the laws of my Country.

In large part our government creates laws based on morals created from a biblical framework. So obey the law and do unto others etc.

my own, that I have born

tonia Level 5 Sep 25, 2017

Basic rules:
Do unto others as you expects other to do unto you.
Do no unwarranted harm to others.

The exact same one as before...why do you think there would be any difference? Oh, wait, becuz yer pastor told you so.......

This is a question well worth considering.
My research upon quitting religion for agnosticism led me to choose as my first two advisories:

1. That most moral codes have a golden-type rule supports my having one like it.
  2. That all religions but Tantra see sexuality as suspect supports my choosing Tantra.
    In time I added, 3) Do not needlessly attract the sheriff’s attention.

I have heard this question so often but each of the Abrahamic religions say they are superior to all others.
Is that a moral code ?.

Moral code by theists is generally defined as that which pleases god. So for Christians that follow the bible: Slavery: Moral, Killing your daughter and burning her parts so god can enjoy the smell of her burning flesh, also moral. lots of examples - -

For me, that which produces the best outcome (least damage).

I think the philosophy of someone like Matt Dillahunty (Athiest Experience) and the idea of well being is the way to go with this. Do whatever you want just so long as you do not harm anyone physically or mentally.

My Moral code, be a Good Person, do NO Mental or Physical Hurt to others, Help others if Possible

This has been really difficult for me because my morality as a religious person was based on a to do list. Do this, this, and this, and you are a good person. Do that, that, and that, and you are a bad person. Of course in my church there were sins of omission too, so you were also bad even if you didn't do anything either good or bad because you weren't doing the good list.

Good consisted of going to church and following church programs, and even if you dedicated your life to helping the poor you wouldn't have been considered good if you didn't also go to church and participate in all the church programs. Of course, by the time you did all those things, you had little time for anything else so you were pretty much damned if you did something as follows as help the poor.

I get the true good isn't based on a to do list and can be different things depending on different situations but I'm still working through the guilt of not doing the good list and doing some of the bad list (drinking coffee, gasp!) that I'm still struggling to know the difference. I don't feel "good" most of the time even though in my head I can understand that I'm a far better person now than I was. It's a huge challenge right now.

I try to be a decent human being help others when they are in need of help, don't interfere if they dont, - I collect money for a charity by doing washing and drying in our communal laundry to collect money for age `n.i - If peopel ask me to help I take their advice on how they want a job done even if its alien to me - I sort of abide by the social rules - pleases and thankyou's and all that. I find it easy knowing my community and what it thrives on - I do a lot of gardening and bird feeding I have a partner I don't live with and am on the whole prettty unbothered about my morality as I wouldn't want to hurt anyones feelings . I have never been religious so I odnt know if that makes any difference.

I am not interested in arguing with religious people.

Arrrgggg...I follow the Pirate's code. Although "the Code is more what you call guidelines, than actual rules." - H. Barbossa

Same moral code I have always had. Why would it change? I went to church as a child and teenager and never thought my morals were improved by religious teaching.

My own. It serves me (and others) well. ?

I think the moral code must be written on our minds because there seems to be a number of people in agreement that we need to be kind and follow the notion of "do no harm". There are a number of people in history who followed their own moral code such as kill others, do harm to those in the way, starve people to death, use gas against those who are not like you... I am not sure if you think one of these moral codes is better than the other since both come from human minds. like to get your opinion on this.

While I don't believe in any of the bible stories, I do think the golden rule is probably the only thing out of it that is any good. Can't see anything wrong with treating others with the same courtesy, kindness, and respect you would want from them.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:35
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.