Agnostic.com

583 117

Fellow agnostics, how do you feel about believers joining?

This is likely contentious, but it needs to be asked. As this is a site "...promoting universal truths and peaceful life without religion" how do you feel about people of faith joining here?

I'm no shrinking violet and I don't need the sort of safe space that so many people believe they do now, but I also don't want to have to engage with people who have been inculcated into some form of unscientific, simple-minded view of the natural world.

I joined in the belief (cough) that this was an exclusive club where I could escape from these folk - but now I find they are joining - with a view to what, I don't know although my hackles are raised.

Not only is this sort of thing wasteful of resources, but if they are here to try to convert or preach at us, that's likely to result in a dissemination to all-out flame wars in a post or two.

I didn't think this was a site to convert people from one way of thinking to another (that sort of thing is nigh-on impossible by the time we're in our 20s anyway.)

I ask because I'm interested what my fellow angostic/athiests think.

I've noted that "theists" tend to butt in to these conversations with their ignorance and that's what I came here to avoid.

I'm getting too old to argue.

Draco 6 Sep 25

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

583 comments (576 - 583)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Doesn’t matter to me

Obviously anyone can join. Any of those believers who would join in hope to ensure their place in heaven and be spared the eternal fire of hell would have any better luck than those who would preach for Zeus to be spared from Hades. It's just mythology. Ancient peoples making up stories.

Time to remove liar @TheTruthIsTrue goading us Atheists with his xian shit

It's ok with me, but I am here to avoid religious dogma and it's pushers.

I don't see there would be a problem. The term 'Believers' seems to be used in a derogatory sense implying outsiders or outcasts. As history shows us these mindsets lead to witch trials and that misleadingly sanitised phrase 'ethnic cleansing'. By considering that individual beliefs are non-inclusive to any society is a dangerous road to travel. Both the religious and non-religious can benefit from each other's experience and insights.

Do you really think the members of this site are that parochial and have persecutive mindsets? Yes, the religious with open minds could benefit from the posts and comments here; but, are you interested in being preached to, or in arguing with any of them? I'm not, not in the least bit.

Hi Condor perhaps viewpoints from other perspectives are useful. Maybe there is some refined content that can be gleaned from argument and intelligent discourse. If we are confident in our personal worldview preaching or apolgetics is not to be concerned about.

@Geoffrey51, if talking to a believer as opposed to an evidentialist i mostly just want to keep yawning - it's so boring & irrelevant what people, who don't care to differentiate between fact & fiction, have to contribute to any conversation. i have the most enlightening, inspiring & fun discourses with other realists here, whereas the few run-ins i had with believers all turned out to be stifling & angry - which isn't what i came here for.

@LetzGetReal ... and of course we can resort to the pitchforks and torches. Good point?

@LetzGetReal .... Ah, metaphor is over- rated for me ?

The few I've encountered here are often accurate representations of those who choose to proselytize (i.e., zero compelling arguments). The exceptionally annoying ones I just block.

But, it's a free country and they're welcome to express their ideas here, even if it's somewhat under false pretenses.

The more the joy! If this platform would ever prohibit or discriminate anyone no matter the 'belief' then I'm out of here ! Agnosticism, Atheism, Freethinking,,, are nothing but an answer to a widely spread drug called religions and ideologies. It is unfortunately a necessity to distinguish yourself these days among/from the hurd(s). The problem is that most people with 'holy scriptures' and 'ideologies' (who they mostly know little about) are blinded by their own nonsense. They mostly tend to be 'open' to 'join and discuss' as long as they don't have the upper hand. Once they do have the upper hand they can't even stop themselves vandalizing anything else. And once they killed 'em' all they start killing each others! I would though advise any theist to read their own scriptures/gospels/nonsense well before engaging (at least with me) cause otherwise you'll only make a fool out of yourself and your own belief!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:291
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.