Agnostic.com

583 117

Fellow agnostics, how do you feel about believers joining?

This is likely contentious, but it needs to be asked. As this is a site "...promoting universal truths and peaceful life without religion" how do you feel about people of faith joining here?

I'm no shrinking violet and I don't need the sort of safe space that so many people believe they do now, but I also don't want to have to engage with people who have been inculcated into some form of unscientific, simple-minded view of the natural world.

I joined in the belief (cough) that this was an exclusive club where I could escape from these folk - but now I find they are joining - with a view to what, I don't know although my hackles are raised.

Not only is this sort of thing wasteful of resources, but if they are here to try to convert or preach at us, that's likely to result in a dissemination to all-out flame wars in a post or two.

I didn't think this was a site to convert people from one way of thinking to another (that sort of thing is nigh-on impossible by the time we're in our 20s anyway.)

I ask because I'm interested what my fellow angostic/athiests think.

I've noted that "theists" tend to butt in to these conversations with their ignorance and that's what I came here to avoid.

I'm getting too old to argue.

Draco 6 Sep 25

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

583 comments (251 - 275)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

if they obey the rules of course they should be allowed ... otherwise we are cut from the same cloth

I feel the same. Personally, I scoffed and rolled my eyes. Butttt unlike the seemingly infinite amount of religion people judge my beliefs and push me away I accept it because ya know, freedom and what not?. I will say though, it does take away from the excitement of an only non religious site.

My whole idea was to get away from having to see anything religious. Good luck with that on a planet where most people believe some type of cooky religion.

As long as they are respectful of our lack of belief I’m fine with them

I’m mystified as to why they even would join. To understand us better? To subvert? Still, as you mention “unscientific, simple-minded” views of the world, have you noted some of the rampant supernaturalism in our community in the guise of “spirituality?” The lines are not so clearly drawn ...

ps — Never too old to argue!

I wouldn't like religious people here. You can always block someone. I just ignore, but I haven't seen religious people only conservatives who I ignore.

Don't mind. Good debate with a hapless theiest is enjoyable sometimes.

Echo7 Level 3 Oct 13, 2018

We all have obviously managed to get this far with out getting sucked in.. So what safer place than here is there to have a little bit of religious debate.. I, personally don't believe in ANY religion, or "God" OR the bible.. I do how ever believe in Jesus, the MAN" and what he stood for and the MOVEMENT* NOT RELIGION, that he TRIED to create.. Everything about the man, including HIS NAME was hijacked by religion, when TRUTH be told, the man was more AGAINST organized religion than we are.. LOL So let them bring it on..

As a believer who just joined your group: “Boo.”

Is it absolutely necessary to divide up into groups based on who believes or disbelieves certain things? IMO it’s not about belief. Our opinions are near worthless because at heart no one knows what they are talking about and we are in abject ignorance about the ultimate nature of reality.

I agree with fending off the various silly dogmas set forth by some religious organizations, but that is a very easy task, and there’s nothing grand or glorious about such fending off. What is grand and glorious is to move toward deep awareness and gratitude for the staggering mystery of existence and consciousness.

that's what YOU think is grand and glorious. I feel no such glory, no such grandness, and this is a site for non-believers to be non-believers without all of the religious hassle.

Anyone who starts with "I'm religious" as their first post has an agenda. That's it.

Oh.. I like this.. ?

I think this is a good site for believers to read and understand where we non believers are coming from. And it helps many believers by letting them know it is ok to question their beliefs. I keep an open mind on these things.

If that is why they are here, yes.

No one would force me to read their posts, so it's fine with me....but I suspect they would have a missionary agenda....

i've been thinking about this attitude - of which i am "guilty" when it comes to politics - of turning away from harm or potential harm, & came to the conclusion that this is probably the reason why organised religion got away & is still getting away with the evil they inflict on humanity.

@walklightly I think you're right. Religion has ALWAYS been given ''a pass,'' because the GODLY scream like smashed cats if you so much as THINK a disrespectful thought...let alone utter one! So, because nobody wants to start World War 3, we just shrug our shoulders and let it go.

@LucyLoohoo, succinctly put ?

I suppose it depends on the nature of your belief or theres. I believe in a God of some sort but have no need or interest in converting anyone. My belief is my own and has more to do with personal experience then anything else. I respect your right to doubt or question or even to not believe. I believe in ghosts also based on personal unprovable experience. I do not demand others believe or agree but I do have an expectation of respect for the fact that others have not lived my life, experienced my reality as it were. As for the debate center question would that not be a function of a group system? If someone wanted to open a group for such a debate would you find that objectionable? Of course I agree with the sentiment that of someone violates the rules of the site or the rules of a specific group or forum they should be censured. I would ask also is agnostic not itself a statement of doubt for either side of the equation the existence or not of any kind of higher power as it were? Is it not leaving open the debate, the question of the nature of existence and if there is cause or rational for the belief in something more then mundane existence?

Quarm Level 6 Aug 24, 2018

first of all, not knowing is not the same as doubting, thus the term agnostic has nothing to do with doubt or non-doubt. a-gnostic = not-knowing. secondly, as a non-believer i would not disrespect a forum for believers, the way you are doing here, joining & then starting to spout debasing asides like "mundane existence". may i suggest that you are very close to getting yourself onto thin ice, demanding a debate about the pros & cons into the belief in an imaginary friend that simply doesn't exist here. this community doesn't take kindly to folks trying to barge in & quasi take over in exactly the way christianity has been doing worldwide since eons. this is a community for reasonable, self-thinking, intelligent people, & out of this only comes respect. kindly refrain from promoting your delusions here, & take them somewhere else.

@walklightly I am not demanding anything. I have never and will never will base my idea of God on others participating. And really I have no interest in a fight. Do I know that some being exists that has some impact or influence in the universe? With 100% certainty no. Maybe it and the universe is all just a delusion of firing neurons and quantum entanglement. I know what I have experienced and I hold those experiences close whatever they may be for comfort, knowledge, growth. If I did start such a forum what would be the harm? I want to be crystal clear here I have no interest or need for any kind of support or justification for my beliefs I just find it interesting to discuss very nearly anything anywhere. Agnostic too me means you do not know one way or the other the answer to the question of the existence of "god". But at some level you consider it possible. As opposed to say Atheism. I think if there is some kind of power as it were out there then it is finite from its own perspective. Like magic which some define as simply technology or phenomena that is not yet understood. Too me that is logical. It gives people something to reach for. Would you agree that irrelevant to the question of God/god/Goddess etc. faith in the unknown has power? Faith in a nation, a creed etc. And within that is it more vital the result of ones actions rather then the reason? Many people of faith do great things and ascribe their success to said faith. In many cases faith in things not related to a religion or a god. I find it interesting you call delusional something you have no actual context for or experience with. Another persons experiences. And you speak of respect right before you insult me. I would ask any one else who reads this is there room on a Agnostic forum and group for questions about the existence and nature of the unknown? And just to be clear I am a Deist. Too me the real value of belief is in its positive power to create an impetuous for change. I like the idea of being(s) out there who hold knowledge we lack. I resist the idea that it is all just cold stars and dead worlds.

@Quarm, i am not interested in discussing your belief or your sense of feeling insulted here. the vain length of your reply just goes to show how desperately you are trying to convince me of a faith that has no base in the real world. do not insist on corresponding with me. btw, in your life stars may be cold & worlds dead; they aren't in mine.

Send them to Christian mingle. No one has time for their bullshit and delusions.
I will mock and ridicule them until they leave.

Harsh, I agree with the first part, but I have met some lovely theists who are tolerant of atheists and are interested and interesting. I don’t want them on this site as I came here to run away from belivers, but I wouldn’t mock or ridicule one.

@Livia I feel dirty every time I am forced to deal with a believer pretending faux innocent belief/faith....I joined agnostic dot com for dating/courtship with an Atheist woman & getting news 1st hand from Atheists fighting theocracy where ever they may be victim of it.....there can be no justification or rationalizing away all the genocide, rape, murder of scientists and sexual mutilation of children by religions....believers who show zero remorse for their own religious heritage DO NOT BELONG HERE period

@GreenAtheist that’s the way I feel about the military and cops.

@Livia I'm a US Navy Vet never denying my resistance to the illegal invasion of Vietnam and Senator McCain was a war criminal shot down during his bombing of North Vietnamese cities....cops shoot people at will telling lies about their murders after they claim self defense from unarmed victims they shoot to death.....but more cops remain silent if not actively aiding the cover up of murderous cops....we need to demand justice and jailing all criminals in government from top to bottom

@GreenAtheist That is the best answer I ever have had. I don’t have problems with soldiers- I have a problem with the way that their young lives and sacrifice is exploited, and the way they are treated post war. No support, no money, nothing. They are taken into illegal and unjustified wars and then traumatized, wounded for life, or dead.

With cops it’s personal- they beat a member of my family to death with their bare fists. They covered it up and we lost the case we brought against the police. As per usual in such cases.

@Livia it is true most of us vets are denied compensation for the traumatic brain injuries of conductive hearing loss and tinnitus.... war is a fucking loud harmful activity not to mention the poison of Agent Orange that took one of my brother's legs and murdered millions of people billions of trees

Had someone bitching me out over the circumsision topic on another post and kind of felt like I was being religiously attacked even tho she was against it because it's a religious thing. My choices have nothing to do with religion, her beliefs or anyone else's and I didn't like that she was in my face about it. I don't have a problem with people who believe, but if you try to force your opinion down my throat, for any reason or belief or whatever, theres gonna be problems.

circumcision of girls and baby boys is reprehensible criminal and equal to cannibalism as a "religious thing"... that is how I have stood on the health policy for 30 years.... I'm not into shaming people for having a different view....I've never rushed into a hospital and took away a scalpel&clamp or disarmed a Mohel in a synogogue....I'd defend someone who did...and I forgive parents who stupidly allowed their children to be sexually mutiliated....I encourage everyone to read Ayaan Hirsi Ali report on her mother and grandmother sexually abusing her and calling her a whore for menstruating at an earlier age than them....millions of girls on this planet are sexually mutilated by muslims with dirty knives and cleaner but just as painful sexual mutilation of baby boys should be prohibited by global law just as cannibalism is banned.... it's all a matter of education, over coming the propaganda and censorship of this issue not SHAMING PEOPLE WE KNOW HERE

Open to all. Just no proselytizing. Block 'em if 'ya don't like 'em.

I don't like the idea of excluding anyone, especially on the basis of religion. However, this is the place we came to to get away from religious delusion, and it's nice to not have to deal with their shit here. I'd really rather not share this space with people who think the Noah's Ark story is real.

No. I would leave. They've brought enough violence into my RL, I don't want to encounter it here and I don't want to have to tiptoe around their precious feelings as I have to do at work.

They can’t convert me even they tried. That said I have no problem with them being on here as most of the religous people I know are better people than most of the flaming left wing liberal idiots on this website with the exception of the conservative atheist group.

Maybe some are joining because they have doubts and would like to see how non-believers are... I don't have any problems with them joining as long as they are respectful.

It depends what they believe in. If they believe in the nutritional value of chocolate cake I'm all for it, especially the practical application of ingesting said product. If they believe in some bloke on a stick who croaks it and then gets up and walks on the water, now that is just plain silly.

I vote for chocolate.

I still hold to some beliefs of faith. They are my own. I have no interest in imposing them on others. I am interested in others thoughts on topics of faith, spirituality, religion without trying to convert anyone to my own ideas.

Well spoken no more need be said

@Geoffrey51 Nice camel.

It's like having a couple of Mormons or JW's come to your door. You just know you'd be beating your head against a wall trying to explain your stance; just as they are wasting their time here. Religious people have caused more trouble in the world than atheists. Can't they just go away?

you can make them go away: block 'em.

@LetzGetReal LMAO!

Please just go away

I don't know why believers would have any interest in joining this site. What would be the point?

trolling, as far as my experience goes.

Anyone can be blocked, if you find them offensive! I once tried to get through most view points...then I discovered I don’t have the capacity for that and there is no problem in my own mind now about other people!

As long as people are respectful, I'm ok with that.

It took me 3-4 years to fully abandon religion, a place like this to discuss my thoughts and feelings would have been awesome as I was exploring what I'd be like without Jesus.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:291
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.