Agnostic.com

583 117

Fellow agnostics, how do you feel about believers joining?

This is likely contentious, but it needs to be asked. As this is a site "...promoting universal truths and peaceful life without religion" how do you feel about people of faith joining here?

I'm no shrinking violet and I don't need the sort of safe space that so many people believe they do now, but I also don't want to have to engage with people who have been inculcated into some form of unscientific, simple-minded view of the natural world.

I joined in the belief (cough) that this was an exclusive club where I could escape from these folk - but now I find they are joining - with a view to what, I don't know although my hackles are raised.

Not only is this sort of thing wasteful of resources, but if they are here to try to convert or preach at us, that's likely to result in a dissemination to all-out flame wars in a post or two.

I didn't think this was a site to convert people from one way of thinking to another (that sort of thing is nigh-on impossible by the time we're in our 20s anyway.)

I ask because I'm interested what my fellow angostic/athiests think.

I've noted that "theists" tend to butt in to these conversations with their ignorance and that's what I came here to avoid.

I'm getting too old to argue.

Draco 6 Sep 25

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

583 comments (226 - 250)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I'm with you I get enough harassment at home and work from these people. Being here has been therapeutic for me as I don't always feel hunted by a bunch of pack animals that refuse to believe they're animals, giving them licence to act like one without feeling remorse.

That's so awful. One of the things this site has shown me is what an awful time you atheists have in the US. Not quite as bad as in the countries where you can get killed for being one, but still pretty bad! Come over here to England! We have a much easier time of it.

There are those rare believers who are just curious about how other people think and not threatened or insulted that there are atheists. I enjoy conversation with those folks. But please, please do not subject us to trolls here.

jmott Level 3 Dec 19, 2017

I'd rather it were kept believer free, believers have plenty of groups and forums to themselves, let's have something for us.
There's forums out there for debating and arguing.

I have no problem with it.

Specifically, i don't have a problem as long as they don't start preaching to me, or telling me that I'm gonna go to Hell because i "have doubts"..as i said, i am AGNOSTIC,and by that i am saying that i just don't have the answer to whether there is a God or not because of no definitive proof, but i am not Atheist for same reason, i have no proof there ISN'T, either, but i don't go along with organized religion.

As long as they don't give foolish arguments we've heard a million times. I have offered BuyBull studies to many groups, but none of them has taken me up on my offers yet. Good sincere arguments or discussions are a plus on any thread .

If they annoy you, call them out for what they are: trolls.

Why not? They may discover they have the wrong idea about Atheism.

I agree with TheresaReid.
On other sites I have seen the people who are religious come in and try to "Save" all those non-believers.
Once hit with some dispassionate facts and logic they go away.

they always spout useless fantasy junk.

The problem with many posts from the religiously minded is they will end up quoting something from a religious text as though we should accept that as absolute proof and also cannot believe that we might be without faith.
Somebody of the calibre of Archbishop Desmond Tutu would add interesting debate, but most religious posts on the internet are utter drivel and would add nothing to this forum.

After careful consideration, I would lean more towards "no". I have already resoluted the question of existence of god/godheads long time ago. I would rather not spend my precious time on any futile discussions on that question.

As long as "believers" don't push their beliefs, they don't really bother me. If they come to this site, they shoudl keep their opinions to themselves. After all we (nonbelievers) don't go into their place of worship to speak our views.

I have no problem with this, hopefully it may help them see how wrong their views are

There those who are borderline agnostic. Most of us do not aggressively recruit but we can be open to sharing our thoughts with those riding the fence. We might help them drop superstition from their lives.

Not everything is for everybody. Come back when you cast off those beliefs.

When my "faith-full" friends try to give me a hard time about doubting the existence of a Higher Power, I often say, "I don't try to make you NOT believe; why is it so important to you that I do?"

So. If a believer comes in with the intention of trying to "save" us, spare me. If they just want to hang out, fine. ....although I can't imagine why they would. ????

Some of them are emotionally unstable, for sure. But some are sincere and want to help by giving their views. It depends on what those views are as to whether or not they help me get off the fence. -- The one thing that really has a dramatic effect on me is this: Why, on the otherhand, do atheists get so angry, disgusted, and resentful of those who do believe? The believers are not hurting them. Why do they make a case for conversion from Christianity? It appears to me that many atheists are really almost militant in trying to make believers fools or fooled., and obviously as an enemy. What's it to an athiest if another person believes? That is strange. Very strange.

Let them join. It might be a good way to get them to move from certainty to questioning.

And for me, vice-versa. The very definition of being agnostic must leave open a deeply self-searching for the truth. If you won't listen to possibilities, then call yourself an atheist.

Dont mind it, were here for discussion, though it'll prob bring along alot of trolls too

Since I'm new I really don't want to discuss Religion that's why I joined, Now that doesn't mean I won't I just prefer not too. My disclaimer so you know if some of ya'll believe that's okay if it works for you. then it's right for you. Don't push that off on me, it don't work for me. I'm a fan of Christopher Hitchens that may say it all. I desire others thoughts and opinions on being an Atheist and living this life without believing in a God.

Hitch said it all: gawds are not great.....claims without evidence can be dismissed without evidence....welcome to your peerage....quit capitalizing the gibberish sound gott... .and repudiate the false definition of Atheism....it means the negation of faith....putting an A in front of any word means the word is false... theism alleged gawds and miracles....we don't

Honestly, I don't have a problem with it at all.
I figure that if they are here, that can only ammount to two things.
One, the have a seed in them that questions their belief, and seek to hear the perspective of those that don't believe.
Which, I have to applaud, it really takes some courage to questions ones core belief system.

And then there are those who just want to so called preach to others about their missbegotten ways. but instead find that the so called "misbegotten" actually give not only good arguments, but pose some logic that the believer might just not have thought before.
And that is prone to make one think about their stance, or farther, question their possision.

Then again, there are always trolls where ever you go on the internet, so meh.

I like the fact that most, not all, but most. retort to those who still cling to religious beliefs, meet with calm, concise, rational, non abusive replies to them.

I think as the zietgiest of dis-belief, is in question, we, and I use the "we" loosely" need to put aside anger and frustration, and meet these honest questions about belief, or non- belief civil and comforting.

For what I've seen and learned from "believers" is that they have been indoctronated into think that non believers are essentially a product of satan.
So to show them compassion, and understanding, rather than in your face hatred, will give them pause, and also have them question what they have learned.

Some times baby steps is the way for some.

Let's hope it's not like opening the door for a Jehovah's witness.

They are usually scammers like these dudes. Even if they weren't I see ZERO reasons for them to join anyway. I have never crossed paths with a believer that in any way benefited this site, have you?

Believers are welcome. I doubt they will stay very long. The truth can be offensive to them.

I don't like it. I came here to get the hell away from the profusion of religious wingnuts I was forced to endure growing up in Kentucky. The believers have plenty of other forums...FauxNews, Brietbart, etc.

Only if they offer good sex and marriage never a wedding related to nut bins or clergy present

Funny. I’ve lived my whole life in KY and hardly ever come into contact with believers that caused me problems. It’s a big and diverse state though.

@indirect76 The believers I am referencing are my "family". They have all pretty much written me off as a heathen. Works for me!

My question would be, why would they want too?

We Atheists are better in bed so believers who are already sexy wanting to catch up with us is ok

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:291
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.