Agnostic.com

583 117

Fellow agnostics, how do you feel about believers joining?

This is likely contentious, but it needs to be asked. As this is a site "...promoting universal truths and peaceful life without religion" how do you feel about people of faith joining here?

I'm no shrinking violet and I don't need the sort of safe space that so many people believe they do now, but I also don't want to have to engage with people who have been inculcated into some form of unscientific, simple-minded view of the natural world.

I joined in the belief (cough) that this was an exclusive club where I could escape from these folk - but now I find they are joining - with a view to what, I don't know although my hackles are raised.

Not only is this sort of thing wasteful of resources, but if they are here to try to convert or preach at us, that's likely to result in a dissemination to all-out flame wars in a post or two.

I didn't think this was a site to convert people from one way of thinking to another (that sort of thing is nigh-on impossible by the time we're in our 20s anyway.)

I ask because I'm interested what my fellow angostic/athiests think.

I've noted that "theists" tend to butt in to these conversations with their ignorance and that's what I came here to avoid.

I'm getting too old to argue.

Draco 6 Sep 25

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

583 comments (551 - 575)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I have recommended to some Christian friends that they browse the postings here to get a less distorted view of atheism/agnosticism. For much of the Christian propaganda I have heard is that nonbelievers are those who have knowingly rejected the truth to become their own god in order to enjoy the short-range, sinful pleasures of earthly life. I feel they would be less obnoxious and argumentative if they had a less distorted view.

Not an issue. Stay open minded.

Dialog between two people should always be by mutual consent. If and when that mutual consent exists, no third party should interfere to prevent it. That is the principle which should prevail here.

Welcome one and all as far as I am concerned. I would think coming to a place where evidence is king would deter most, but some might want to see if we are plotting Armageddon. Others might want to explore doubt in a setting where they won't get preached at. As long as people are not jerks I would not vote to exclude anyone.

It depends. I have had intelligent conversations with more liberal believers. Historically, it was the liberal evangelicals who helped pull America put of the Great Depression. I am sure that most of the modrrn ilk would view them as heretics. In the same breath I faced off against a friend of a friend on FB. I don't accept people's judgements that I am going to hell. In this case because I defended the rights of my daughter and other women, and being accused of being a butcher and wanting to chop up his grandchildren. I always send those people to Mark 5, 1 to 7. Not a believer my self but willing to counter with their own arguments. I'm that section Mark warms hypocrites will be more harshly punished. I walked away from the argument when he proved his lack of Christian history by denying the idea of the trinity was voted upon. He said that was false and pointed to, I'll give him this credit, one of the biblical verses used by those who voted for it. So, where do I stand. If a person comes here, not to convert, but learn and question okay. Start preaching and no, need to be left behind (pun intended).

Welcome to the dark side

I'm on record several times here saying that I don't think this is a site for believers, but I respect the site policy. I do think there is a difference between believers who perhaps wish to engage here intelligently, and preaching types intent on saving souls and so on. The latter are not welcomed. I don't think there are many like that here, thankfully.

The other problem is definitional. What is a believer? Are Buddhists, new age spiritual types, secular religionists, non supernatural religionists, and others like that by definition believers? Is it just abrahamic religionists we call believers? When I joined I thought the demarcation was clear. But now it is murkier.

I thought the distinction was pretty clear also. I still do, and I'll briefly say why: For many of those 'others' of which you speak, spiritualists and so on, are dodging the issue. They know that the traditional religions are horse hocky, but don't want to give up having SOME sort of 'special' friend(s). Aliens or spooks and goblins or whatever... It's a dishonest attempt at calling themselves 'advanced' emotionally and/or mentally. It's a way of keeping the essence of religion without the book(s) and rules. I personally feel if one is going to claim to have rejected religion, one shouldn't be afraid to say so, bluntly, honestly. When I was still married, I called myself an agnostic, one who doesn't claim to know all the answers. (And I'd say it that way) Because I knew my wife's family already felt I was lower than dirt. I was never a Catholic. And they were. (Don't ask why I married a Catholic girl... who went to Catholic schools and all of it. I wasn't thinking... And hey, she WAS cute!) Now, I realize I was just trying to keep the uneasy peace, by saying Agnostic. That was dishonest. I wanted to avoid an all-out brawl over religion. So I can see why others might say they are something they are not. What I don't get, is why they say they are NOT something they ARE...

@Junkman I agree with you 1000% and indeed I call these people pseudo religionists, who are attracted to the trimmings and trappings of religion, while technically rejecting religion. I have no time for it. For me the line is very clear, but for some believer non religionists it isn't and I can see that any policy here that "believers" are not welcome would erupt in a huge debate on the meaning of the term.

Lol if I had any such repulsions, I'd be kind of an authoritarian and an %sshole, so it doesn't bother me. People should not be abused because they have a certain stance on whether God exists or not. I have zero issues being in contact with these people, discussing religion, or explaining why they are incorrect. Dealing with them is just a correction game, at worst, and that's nothing.

Just as long as their not p reaching to me constantly...

You have to think of your soul, and you needn't Jesus.

@DZhukovin

All for it

Anyone can get on the site. The point system limits what they can do as newbies. And if the turn into trolls or start evangelizing, they can be ejected. If they simply are questioning why we don’t feel the need for faith to live normal, moral and even fulfilling lives, maybe we can sow a seed of questioning into their minds. And certain Agnostics, because they are simply searching for answers, may tend to push you for explanations of why you don’t feel as they do. It should not be an argument, but rather an open forum to ideaology.

I’m trolling and I want everyone to know it

@BornAgnostic, sounds like a personal problem! ?

@Barnie2years and you replied 🙂

@BornAgnostic nothing wrong with being a troll. It's comfy under this bridge just waiting for those goats to come trip-trapping across!

@Geoffrey51 I’m still pissed off

trolling is a fishing term, not the mythical creature.

I have no problem with it. All are welcome. I'm sure you have heard that the best way to become an atheist is to read the bible.

I’m not sure I would be thrilled with too many theists on here, but I think it would be wrong to ban them. We can’t learn anything by creating an echo chamber here.

I don’t think this is an echo chamber. I do believe it is a respite.

I don't have an issue with it.
I mean better that they learn from us directly than make up what we are all about.

As long as they are here to learn more about why and what we believe I don't really have any problem with it. If they are coming to convert all us "sinners" then bad news for them as they probably have nothing to tell us we haven't already heard and rejected

We might be able to change there minds about there brain washing. If they persist spewing there illogical bs, they should be banned from this web site.

Only if they are joining in order to grant perspective into why they are Religious, as we do for why we don't believe in Religion. If it is to try and start arguments then so be it, but if all they fan threaten us with is eternal damnation then I will sleep easy at night

Christians are never going to give up their beliefs on instruction from anyone. So we need to engage them in a whole lot of reason, explanation and ask how it compares with what they have been told. It will be a slow progress but has to happen if we are to avoid further religious wars. People who say they want a 'safe place away from religion cannot be very secure in their own beliefs.

Is dissenting opinions not food for progress? We put a lot of effort into drawing lines and putting up fences to denote sides without recognizing that the lines and fences exist, creating a middle. I'm not here to be a "better" atheist. I'm here to communicate with like minds and make a few friends. Btw. we don't know who's who until they admit it, right?

I'm from Alabama where they say they had sushi for centuries but called it something else, "Bait".
So when I went with friends to a sushi restaurant the first time I was as nervous as a homophobe at a Pride event, but I tried it and now I eat sushi almost every chance I get.
Most American believers have some damned weird ideas about atheist and agnostics, ideas that can't be fixed without exposure.
We can handle the occasional bout of ignorance they inject into the conversation.
I think it's wonderful that they come.
Who knows, they might grow a bit.

I think it would be fun.

Since these believers of mystic non believable beings who are so omnipresence that they indiscriminately killed at will and never actually communicate, save them from themselves or disasters and let’s them support religious pimps that tell them they need more money so their god(s) will grant their prayers!!!

Sounds like they do not belong here especially since they have more propaganda sites spewing mystical everywhere with no proof that their god(s) even exist!!!

Why outside of spewing their pure shit why would they want to become one of us!!!

You can take horse(Christian) to water, you can not make then swin to the other side of the holy water bucket!!!

LOL!!!

Google is saturated with “christian” sites.
The christians have taken over the world already.
In congress and politics.....
Why can’t we keep our own safe place here?
Why should we share our one place?
It’s the one place that I can safely let it all hang out.
It will not longer be that way once they saturate the site. Although we already have several.
I thought that it was “our site” not theirs. So call me selfish if you would like.
A christian came in and posted something about how
abortion was wrong and that was very OFFENSIVE!!!
I’m not interested in educating or debating them on here.
In this case I am not open minded about them
invading our Super agnostic/atheist Planet. 🌎 🌈💚
It’s bad enough tons of our original members have
already left us😞😞. Now you want to repel the
members that are still here by adding christian
members?? Well you definitely are already repelling
me for sure.
We already are forced to coexist with believers.

Are they not satisfied over at christian mingle?

The reason(s) for believers who want to join this site may be as varied as the believers themselves. From a charitable point of view, I am mindful of the words of Bertrand Russell: " Religion belongs to the infancy of human reason."

For most of this life I tried and failed at believing in a god, but was gifted with the desire to read, as I've grown older that hasn't changed. I'm on the last chapter of c.h. book gawd is not great for me a great read. I have a tendency to take a break for a day or two and read a different book, which right now is Jack london's autobio. john Barleycorn. It's also good and him i relate to more than I care to admit, wine,women, and song. when I finish that I plan to read the history of prohibition which i find interesting because the 18th admendment so far is the only one to be repealed. I do spend a lot of time by myself so i have tendency to talk to much or write more than needed so a little or of guildence would be helpful. when I have free time I'm a servant to my dog and 8 cats which means a chief cook and bottle washer. By the way not knowing anything about a subject has never stopped me from expressing an opinion on it. being a hoosier we sometimes think we know more than we really do.I hate getting old I get dumber by the day.

Not bothered

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:291
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.