Agnostic.com

583 117

Fellow agnostics, how do you feel about believers joining?

This is likely contentious, but it needs to be asked. As this is a site "...promoting universal truths and peaceful life without religion" how do you feel about people of faith joining here?

I'm no shrinking violet and I don't need the sort of safe space that so many people believe they do now, but I also don't want to have to engage with people who have been inculcated into some form of unscientific, simple-minded view of the natural world.

I joined in the belief (cough) that this was an exclusive club where I could escape from these folk - but now I find they are joining - with a view to what, I don't know although my hackles are raised.

Not only is this sort of thing wasteful of resources, but if they are here to try to convert or preach at us, that's likely to result in a dissemination to all-out flame wars in a post or two.

I didn't think this was a site to convert people from one way of thinking to another (that sort of thing is nigh-on impossible by the time we're in our 20s anyway.)

I ask because I'm interested what my fellow angostic/athiests think.

I've noted that "theists" tend to butt in to these conversations with their ignorance and that's what I came here to avoid.

I'm getting too old to argue.

Draco 6 Sep 25

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

583 comments (526 - 550)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Don't mind as long as they don't start preaching it's a real turn off for me.
I'm lightly to say I see you have a view, but quite honestly I have no interest in religion.

I just joined the site today so I'll have to see how it plays out, but I'll probably just ignore those trolling for a fight. Most of the people in my life are theists or believers, everything from fundamentalist Christian to nebulous spiritualists. I can get along with pretty much anyone who maintains a respectful tone.

Great thread. My first thought was no way but when I thought more about it I realized, I'd like to be inclusive even though the cons outweigh the pros. As Silvereyes and others already implied, how else would they be exposed to the incredibly valuable discussions in this community? Also, there might be someone who is struggling with a relationship he/she is working on and wants to learn or understand things. That said, I'm still conflicted about this issue and uncertain how I would vote.

Coda Level 4 Oct 28, 2017

I have to wonder what the motives are of religious people joining a site that is for freethinkers. Are they trolling? Do they want to try to suppress us because they fear that our ideas will gradually spread? Those who brainwash people with their BS always fear the truth coming out.

Why would I care?

I was in the second grade and my Mom was taking me to my ccd class and I informed her that I was not going to attend,when we got to the class I wrapped my arms around the rope on the back of our early 60's front seat and wouldn't let go....that was the beginning..

You can be a theist and an agnostic so why shouldn't they?

and what of the aetheists who shove their beliefs down the throats of those who don't see the world exactly as they do?

SamL Level 7 Oct 17, 2017

I agree with you wholeheartedly. Yet, I've seen some responses belittling others and literally stating this is how it is which in my opinion doesn't leave any room at all for discourse. Responses evoking discourse are phrased in a way that promotes discussion not shuts it down.

One of the issues many atheists have with the religious is that many religious positions begin at a point that few atheists can respect. Opinions that are homophobic, misogynistic, racist, etc and respecting that is wrong. People can hold any opinion they want but not all opinions are worthy of respect.

Does that apply to the people as well? Are they worthy of disrespect because you don't respect their opinion?

the problem I am not sure if religious ppl joined but it;s also an invitation to troll's and not the good kind either out fairy tale books they have gotten good athiest site closed closed wel pages but using mutliple accounts If it wasnt for the troo;s i i would personalywelcome the open disccussion

If they don't mind being laughed at, this is our forum and they know it.

Let them in. The trouble makers can be banned and the rest can be educated. The best tactic I've found is to boil it straight down to logic and getting them to acknowledge what a logical fallacy it, explain it, give an example of it, and then either confirm that what they said was fallacious or explain why it doesn't qualify as that and is instead a false flag.

Why would they be here except to troll us?

I think it is wise to recognize the possibility that those who label themselves as "believers" may be questioning their own faith. From my own experience no religion except Reform Judaism tolerates this skepticism. This forum provides an outlet for exploration they can't find elsewhere. Those who rant, reasserting their held beliefs are, sadly, trying to drown out the voices in their own heads beaten into them over the years. If we seek to hold them high ground then we need compassion. I have no problem with inclusiveness. Their rants also inform my own explorations: "Do I have this covered?". All religious denominations seek theological purity nd dismiss all others as heresy. We must be different.

Better if religious people go to church. Let them separate from the intelligent ones.

zesty Level 7 Mar 1, 2019

I wouldn't mind if they were restricted to one group and couldn't dominate the agnostic fellowship on all of the other groups. Once in awhile I find it interesting to read alternative viewpoints (both political and religious) -- It's interesting to get a take on where they are coming from, but I doubt I would ever be convinced to change my own viewpoints.

"I'm getting too old to argue." Then don't argue. It couldn't me more simple.

Shit this blew up.

You already lock access to certain shit behind gates, right? (the leveling system) Just lock believers to certain topics or forum groups. Those that come here to get away from them can, and everyone else can share opinions or whatever.

OK as long as they don't go crazy with their preaching from some "holy" book and end up sounding like trolls.

If people who believe in a god or gods come HERE, you have to wonder why. Are they just looking for conversation, or to try to convert? Depends on intentions, but I don't mind talking with them.

I think it depends on their intentions. If they are honestly looking to learn what we think, or they themselves are questioning their particular faith then that’s fine. If they are here to proselytize and are looking to “convert” us then block them.

treat each other in the way that peace stays,no need fight over what or what we don't believe

Believe? Are you saying agnostics don't believe?
I joke... hahaha... the admittance of atheism is always funny.

My Feelings, easy answer:
"Open To Believers by Non-Believers" means
"Open & Mutual Respectful Open Minds"

I also want to point out to the naysayers, how many times I have read the words, "FREE THINKERS", and "OPEN MINDED" on here, of which I am truly impressed, so lets keep it that way, for all..

I have no objection to a statement of belief. I do not, however, see this as a place for debate. Read, think, but if you wish to proselytize, take it elsewhere. I'll be happy to argue by email. (More appropriate forum anyway.)

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:291
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.