Agnostic.com

341 197

Dating after 50

Is it just me, or is dating after 50 a nightmare?

It seems like almost everyone is so religious, which narrows the pool significantly.

Then out of those who are left the majority fall into one of these categories: looking for a nurse/care giver,
looking for someone MUCH younger to recapture their youth or REPUBLICAN

Then of the 10 people in your region that are left...you don't like 5 and the other 5 don't like you.

OYE! I think I just need a gay best friend to do things with and a new vibrator.

Crimson67 8 Jan 6

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

341 comments (26 - 50)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

You need a B.o.b. Lol

or Me

It’s not just you. It is a nightmare! I was actually excited after my divorce thinking about dating again. That excitement when you like a new person. Can't stop smiling. It didn't take very many dates to realize how wrong I was. So now it's me, my girlfriends, and when needed my "other friend". πŸ˜‰

If B.O.B gets old look me up

I agree with you dating after 50 is a nightmare for men also Myself I would rather be with someone closer to my age younger women out there like to play to many games .They do not know how to handle a gentelman .someone that opens doors for them most men are looking for younger women to make them feel younger Age is a state of mind I look for someone that have lived and learned

I can't imagine being in the dating pool these days...at any age.

Hmm... I'm not looking for someone much younger in order to recapture my youth. I want a kid though. πŸ™‚

Lol.
Sorry...
No I'm not...
LOL.
But yeah... my experience with dating apps... no bueno...
Bumble, pof, match, okc... use them all now for months... nada. Better results outside the apps and that in itself isn't much better as you've mentioned... shrug

In my line of work, vibrators are an essential tool! I have over 30 years of experience operating them. I'm not gay, but am willing to learn! In the process of reading your truthful and hilarious post, I immediately fell in love with you ....πŸ™‚

I.e. in the process of pouring concrete walls we use a "vibrator" slang name "donkey dick" to remove air pockets in the ready mix (wet concrete) so that the finished product is solid and smooth with no honey comb spots. I've been single in my own home for 10 plus years. Overall I'm happy,but affection,and companionship is what I miss. 5 that I do like,but don't like me....i so relate to that! Hope you find my attempt at humor pleasing.

your right im glad my right-hand works

That made me laugh!!!!

I am newly single again so I'm not even up for actually dating yet. However, I did put a profile up on a very popular site just out of curiosity.

Where I live - Louisiana - 95% are some variation of Christian/Catholic/Protestant.

I wouldn't date with a man my age who would go out with somebody 20-30 years younger than he (if he was open about that).

And, like you, I've narrowed my own pool by eliminating conservatives.

Then no smokers. Then they have to have a job and make a decent income. Oy is right!!!

So, that leaves me with about .05% of the population. And, from that, it's like you said -- either they don't see anything interesting in me or vice versa.

Or, some moron sends me a private message and barely gets "hello" typed before he's asking if I want to have sex and fun. WTF is wrong with people? I truly wonder how many women reply with "Yeah, glad you asked! Let's do it -- phone, cyber, your place or mine?"

I would not be surprised if I am completely single until retirement and I move back to what I consider civilization -- a more liberal area. I'm okay with that.

@SACatWalker In the big picture, besides AIDS, sexually transmitted infections are not as big of a deal as the stigma makes them.

Think about this hypotheticalβ€”you have to choose from only four available women in the universe. They each have only one negative thing about themβ€”otherwise they are perfect.

Woman A is a habitual liarβ€”otherwise perfect.

Woman B is a kleptomaniac-otherwise perfect.

Woman C gets off on belittling cashiers and food servers-otherwise perfect.

Woman D has herpes-otherwise perfect.

Which do you choose?

A person can get herpes with only having had one partner ever β€” or zero partners.

Every person you know who has ever had a β€œcold sore” or a β€œfever blister” has a medical condition called herpesβ€”only it’s dressed up with a β€œnice” word.

Getting off my soapbox now....just doing my little part to try to remove the stigma about humans with an actual medical condition for which NOBODY asks.

Cheers!! πŸ™‚

@SACatWalker Okay, protest heard and I concede that. You are right, a habitual liar would have a whole bag of problems undoubtedly. πŸ™‚ But, I think and hope you get my point. It's a medical condition nobody asks for and it is not a life ender and it is not, to me, a legitimate reason to judge somebody or to rule them out. That said, to each his or her own, right? πŸ™‚

@SACatWalker Laughing VERY out loud!!! Hilarious! Can you imagine telling somebody that? They definitely would not be expecting that reaction. πŸ™‚ Good for you, SAC!

BlueWave, you live in Louisiana? How the hell do you keep your sanity???? If I lived in the Bible Belt South I would go bonkers. I recommend that you move to Minneapolis, it is pretty liberal here. But there still is the situation of the dudes wanting to have cyber sex or real life sex right away. There was only one time I did cyber sex. I chatted with a single, atheist man who lives in Ras El Bar, Egypt. Single men cannot have girlfriends. If men and women are caught dating, they get beaten and taken off to jail. The women usually are covered, only their hands and faces show. So, these desperate Egyptian dudes go on FB and beg American women to flash them. Lots of American women open their webcams and show their stuff, they feel sorry for those poor Arab dudes.

@SusanHilde Just saw this almost a month later. It is hard. I feel like a fish out of water. And, driving for Uber, I hear so many people talk about how much they LLLLOOOOOOOVVVVVVVVEEEE it here. Alrighty then. I don't hate it here. It just doesn't feel like a "fit."

I am going to Minneapolis in May. My favorite cousins live there. Don't know if I could ever get used to the bitterly cold winters. My old law firm (job) is headquartered there, so I could conceivably have a job. Hmmmm.......

@BlueWave besides the stigma, AIDS really isn't a big deal anymore either. The meds have made it so people with HIV are unlikely to pass it on, and partners without HIV can also take meds to prevent getting it. It's pretty much just stigma and ignorance now.

[thebody.com]

@SurvivorSteph Y'know, you're right. I would change my comment above, but then these two comments wouldn't make sense. It was ignorant of me to exclude AIDS from the not such a big deal. I know people live full and long lives with AIDS - unlike 30 years ago.

@BlueWave and if their virus is supresssd they’re unlikely to pass it to the rest of us! ?

@SurvivorSteph Yup

@bluewave anyone who would date someone with aids has a death wish.

Friends with benefits is always an option. That’s is if you can find someone that isn’t too annoying πŸ™‚

I'm not annoying...for what it's worth

I have a 50 y.o. friend in Seattle who does online dating -- she says that when she meets them online or by phone, she addresses in her first conversation, explaining the desire to not waste his time or her own time:

1. Do you smoke?

2. Did you vote for djt?

3. How religious are you? (She is agnostic and won't go to church, but so far is okay with others keeping some religion.)

She inspired me when I wrote my profile on another site. It could not be more clear on there that I am atheist, not interested in dating a believer, and that I am very liberal. I even say "If you voted for djt, let's just pass and wave." πŸ˜‰

@Chefedone I like your approach

I love this! I always ask similar questions. I am Canadian but I am obsessed with DJT (and have changed business plans so I don't have to be anywhere near the 63 million who voted for him) so I asked, If you were an American, would you vote for the sexual predator DJT, do you smoke, and what, if any, is your religious orientation? Once I have filtered out the religious men, the smoking men and the would-be (shudder) DJT supporters, I then may date them. On the two occasions, out of about ten dates, that I went to bed with them, one man who was 55 and one man who was 52, both had erectile dysfunction. Ugh. Why go to bed with me if you can't perform, or how about giving me the head's up before I am all hot and bothered? Ick.

@mauxjen Yeah, LOL, that is definitely something to talk about ahead of time on Wednesday.

@mauxjen Haha - reminds me of why I quit dating years ago, I’ve no desire to be a sex therapist.

I totally agree. Smoking is a no-no for me because I am allergic to the smoke. In Canada, I always ascertain politics, because the Right is wrong as far as I am concerned and I cannot respect anyone who espouses conservative politics. One woman I went out with was a "holy roller". She took me to her church one night and after about a half hour of watching people seizure on the floor, speak in tongues and harass me to accept Jesus Christ as my lord and saviour, I was out of there. I also ask about dominance because I prefer a dominant woman.--- Ya gotta ask all of these.

Well. I do not mind saying that I would like to be one of those people willing to change that, got to start somewhere and I am not afraid to help the cause.....call me Ladies ?

I've made I think one really good friend on here that I cherish already and had an instant soul crush on another- based off photos! The humor is real! haha. I'm not expecting anything though. But I feel ya.
I'm happy with just good new friends too tbh, and finding out at my age and circumstance that moving slowly is best.

Quick movers spook me, btdt in my youth. You are beautiful & intelligent Witchymom, the ball should be in your court.

try after 60! With every decade after say the 20's when most people connect it changes for a different reason. THe options are narrowed and the stage of life makes such a difference. Maybe that is what makes some more religious!

From my experience of going through a divorce in mid 50's, it was interesting. Had been married for 25 years, and silly me, thought things were going well. Have 6 kids, and the last one was living at home but going to college. Was pretty down on women for a couple of years afterward. Then started looking again. Dated several women, and figured out quickly that didn't want a religious one. I do go to a Unitarian church, and it is a comfortable place for me, and lots of the members are atheist, or humanist. So only dated UU's. I did find a good atheist woman, and get married again. Some of the things that I was looking for the first time, just weren't that important. Am far from being perfect, and didn't look for the perfect wife. We have lots that we do together, and also have things we do apart. When I retired, set up an office upstairs, and didn't bother my wife when she was working from home. Do some volunteer things away, and she also does that. We do make music together as are both in a Celtic band. We have lots of common interests, but also bring new things in. Guess I would say, "Don't give up hope if still have some interest". But being in a state where in 2013, 45% of people polled claimed "none" for religion, the pool is bigger.

I feel your pain. No seriously. Widowed at 48, after 15+ years of marriage. About as lost in that game as could be. Lovers are wonderful, but friends save the day. If we are very lucky we may have both.

You have 10 people in your region, wow, try dating when you live rural and the nearest woman you find on this site is either in another country or more than 800 kilometres away or both. I don't need either a nurse or a purse although I do find RN's sexy mostly because they are generally intelligent and don't put up with shit. I don't want someone that is young enough to be my daughter.
Hope still springs eternal though, somewhere there is someone out there.

Well, I'm 52 and my marriage is ending and I've been on a regular dating web site which is kind of scary with all of the Christians on it. That basically is what led me here. Luckily I feel that the Twin Cities, hopefully, has enough progressive, single 50 year old women who won't all run away upon meeting me!

You'd be relatively young for me... LOL!

I wouldn't know. I couldn't get a man if I was the only man on earth. Of course the fact that I only date men makes the problem that much worse.

I haven't been able to get as far as "dating" yet. I've been trying to think of something humorous to say about it but I'm dumfounded. Maybe there are invisible horns growing out of my head that only women can see.

I couldn’t get lucky in a woman’s prison with a handful of pardons...

I find it hard because I am kind of set in my ways. I do like your comment "looking for someone MUCH younger to recapture their youth". I know men that do just that. Me, I realize my youth has left me and it ain't coming back. Looking for a much younger woman, would only give me a heart attack.

... but it’s worth it.

@Tomas That's funny.

I am soon to exit my 50s, and yes, they are much harder than in my 40s. Fewer compatible people, but then I have let myself go as well. And I am really set in my ways now, people have to take me as I am. I have many female acquaintances of all ages, no shortage of people to have a meal, coffee, movie, bush walk with. But nothing more,

I live just North of Seattle. There are lots of non-religious women around. The biggest issue is finding mutual attraction with someone in a similar

The edit button isn't working for me... The biggest issue is finding mutual attraction with someone in a similar financial position who is sarcastic, smart, and well educated.

I've never heard the nurses with purses thing. Except for one relationship, I am always the ATM machine so that stuff cuts both ways.

The dating process is frustrating but I haven't given up.

a wing person is key !

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:13170
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.