Agnostic.com

341 197

Dating after 50

Is it just me, or is dating after 50 a nightmare?

It seems like almost everyone is so religious, which narrows the pool significantly.

Then out of those who are left the majority fall into one of these categories: looking for a nurse/care giver,
looking for someone MUCH younger to recapture their youth or REPUBLICAN

Then of the 10 people in your region that are left...you don't like 5 and the other 5 don't like you.

OYE! I think I just need a gay best friend to do things with and a new vibrator.

Crimson67 8 Jan 6

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

341 comments (301 - 325)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

This is the truthiest truth that ever truthed. Not quite fifty (but only a matter of months to go). I find they’re all religious, unemployed or married (and yeah, hard pass on anything resembling potential drama thanks)
Add to that my peculiar preference for interesting and intelligent conversationalist and the well is DRY!
It’s so damn disappointing.

Essie Level 6 Sep 21, 2018

Funny. I find the same thing; right down to the women wanting younger males. Sigh.

I hear you! It seems that it's difficult to find a new age philosopher that has successfully let go of old age religiosity. The glass is always twice as big as it needs to be. One has not fully rejected religion until it no longer infects a healthy sexual experience.

I would expect that older people would be more mature and handle dating much better.

Lmao

JessV Level 4 Oct 7, 2018

I know what you mean, I'm having the same issue up here in Wisconsin. I hope your nightmare turns into dreams come true.

I am not sure what to do ..

I'm mostly with ya Crimson. Add to that having a 13 year old at 54. SMH. I don't date. I am active, outgoing, involved, intelligent, loving, kind, generous, loyal, employed, fun, but over 50, with a wonderful kid, and carrying extra pounds. (Aka baggage in many eyes). Seems like young, slim, and childless trumps it all. Let em go! LOL.
I've got great friends and a Beautiful life!

@Soarfeet I would want to meet you and K9 Kohle if either of you lived in my area, but you don't. Likely you and @K9Kohle789 have the same problem with men our age on this site.

@Soarfeet not all men are like that. Smart independent women are a wonderful thing. Too much codependency in this world.

Well I drink Lots of caffeine, so I'm ALLWAYS Vibrating, and it Does seems dating is a Nightmare

In my experience, it’s been pretty good.
Perhaps being a liberal guy in Montana has some advantages🙂
The religious aspect is one that is a bit limiting, but overall I’ve seen lots of ladies that are intelligent, attractive/active and have religious and political views which aren’t out of my comfort zone.

There is actually a lot of nice folks in Montana , I like it..

Just had my 13th year wedding anniversary (yesterday). Glad I'm not dating. I've heard the horror stories from people my age who got divorced for this or that trivial reason and are now wishing they had been more patient with their spouse...

I got divorced two years ago after 27 years of mostly happy marriage (my wife's mental illness was eventually too much for all of us). I recently tried online dating as I miss being married. But each date was like an interview and the desperation in the air was just too much. I soon stopped.

My own company seems simpler.

Seems everyone assumes Republican = Religious Right. Not so. I buy all the Republican policies EXCEPT their religious based ones. THAT makes dating hard for me. I live in a county in Illinois that has almost no candidates for county/state offices among the democrats. Between the cornfields, the age, and the lack of religion, dating here is IMPOSSIBLE. I'm finding also that dating on this board isn't easy, either.

the GOP policies have always been total and complete shit , steal as much of my money as you can and give it to your rich buddies , Reagan what a POS ! Trump another POS ! this is why the Russians revolted and became communists , they became tired of working for nothing ! Fuck the GOP everyday , the only thing lower than slime GOP and your new motto DARE TO BE STUPID ! Fits you assholes perfectly fuck you and Trump ..

I find that problem at age 47.

The nightmare is real! While I remain hopeful, I've embraced half of your solution. #newtoy

JGal Level 7 Dec 20, 2018

I really enjoy the company of women my age , with age comes knowledge and understanding, to me it is not what you look like but who you are ! I bet you are going a hard man is good to find !

Yes, it's a horrible nightmare and I have given up for now. May try again someday but right now it's too scary for me.

Aggy Level 4 Dec 20, 2018

Yep, a nightmare...but not because of religion, in my experience. Biggest problem I see is that men over 50 still want to date 30 year olds. They assume that women their age are no longer interested in sex (wrong) and that they may have a few extra pounds (but their pot bellies are okay). Or they have numerous health problems and they're looking for someone to take care of them and remind them to take their pills...
Not bitter...just a bit disheartened by what I'm seeing.

Na. You have the wrong analogy as to why we look for younger women.

I do not I really like women in my age group 55-70 we have a lot more in common and can talk about subjects and life experience that we both relate to , and we are probably moving at the same speed ..

@SeptemberWoman You love who you love. I'm 32 and dated women in their 20's, 30's, 40's, 50's, and 60's. In true love the age difference knows no bounds. Here in Virginia Beach, VA I hear that "Oh I wish I could be younger again" from many people. In my book age is just a number. To be honest, there are bad apples in any pot regardless of age and gender. When it comes to dating, more need people rid themselves of the thought of there is a soulmate i.e. the one for them. I’ve personally never believed in the whole concept of “soulmates”. No matter how ahead of the curve you think yourself to be, there will be thousands like you walking the same curve. You will think that you are the only one who has those odd habits, odd idiosyncrasies, or you are the only one awake at that particular hour of the night. But the truth is, there are hundreds, perhaps thousands who are exactly like you. There are plenty of people who would satisfy an individual criteria of Ms. Right and Mr. Perfect. It’s just pure coincidence that you found one of them and were acquainted to him or her and now consider them your “soulmate”. In the end, “the one” is the one you choose, so choose well!!

You don’t choose who you’re attracted to, but you definitely choose who you fall in love with and (more importantly) who you stay in love with.Real love is an unconditional commitment to an imperfect person. Real love isn’t just a euphoric, spontaneous feeling—it’s a deliberate choice—a plan to love each other for better and worse, for richer and poorer, in sickness and in health. At the end of the day, what matters is that we VALUE and LOVE the people that are in our lives. It's essential to learn that happiness is more than just a feeling. It is also a choice and the result of a series of choices. We have to choose to appreciate and love those around us.

I have a friend near 80 and we have fun together, a little sex, a lots of talk, and since I've known her a very long time, personal interactions. I like her very much, but I see younger women mentally boring after a brief period of eye candy-ness, but youthfully vibrant and many more open minded then 'older" women. I must take issue with Septemberwoman; religion is the Black woman's life and to a true atheist, annoying as hell..

@Blackmind "Religion is the Black Woman's life.."

Dont understand your comment..?

@SeptemberWoman Black women are the only women I've encounted that ask when you date them, "do you love the lord?" Seriously, for me, and as far as I know only me, it's sickening.

"So, too, do nearly nine in 10 African American women, according to a nationwide survey conducted by The Washington Post and the Kaiser Family Foundation. The poll, the most extensive look at black women’s lives in decades, reveals that as a group, black women are among the most religious people in the nation. Although black men are almost as religious as their female counterparts, there is a more stark divide along racial lines"

[washingtonpost.com]

Hey, my pot belly is sexy!

@Blackmind I don't doubt it. I'm not at all ashamed of being agnostic but I sometimes avoided the subject of religion at work, mostly populated by people of color. Got sooooo tired of explaining: " I respect your faith; I just don't share it." and many looked at me as if I had slapped their children. 😃
But as far as dating, it happened to me too. One dude said to me, 5 minutes into the phone conversation: "Do you know God? You must know God!"

Um...no. #NewPhoneWhoDis? 😉😊

I wouldn't mind dating a 30 year old if they weren't so limited in their thinking and experiences. Today, what would we have in common? I don't do hip hop or any derivative and any man over 40 something who does seriously "date" (whatever that entails), has some issues he should address. I sometimes go out with my young 30 somethings but it's fun because we connect on a different level, a refreshing one, like being with your children. As far as religion among Black women, it's a no no for me and if they don't have the "holy ghost" they have the material spirits and an attitude that usually accompanies it. As for White women..they are white women..they feel your arms to see how muscular you are and really don't appreciate a Black man's mind or world view.. Life is fun..lmao

Divorced two years after two decades of marriage. I find dating super fun for the most part..... I've met some fantastic people and a few crazies too. For the record....the women I'm least interested in are those with with a long list of criteria because 'they deserve it'. I look for kindness and honesty and have made some awesome friends with people that are on a different path than myself but are still kind and honest. Currently dating a bisexual Republican Christian who's super nice and seems accepting of my vocal atheism....and far left leaning political views. She's also a super cute tiny heat packing NRA member...so there's that too.

I like dating women that give great head.

@FlyingEagle1952 I like dating men who have a great head on their shoulders.

@DeStijl I have a great head......of hair!! I"m not bawd yet.....ha ha...hope you have a sense of humor. I went to a funeral today.....he was an old friend, same age as me....I'm fucking depressed.....getting old sucks...

It's a brave new world, AI, dating computers, extreme materialism and its concomitant, status? What's left of what we used to know as being human, having human interactions, touching, dancing, just saying hello without suspicion, having an open conversation without offending ones "liberal, conservative or religious" sensibilities? Hard? almost impossible to be "real" because what does it mean in the "new millennium?"

I just moved to Orlando and I am horrified with the number of churches around here...Chances of finding a man in the same page of evolution are minimizing abruptly.

find a metaphysical center......spiritualists are open and you don't have to hear that Jesus Christ bullshit....

oh yeah, I did go to a really cool church in Florida. It's called Humanitarian Universalists......and believe it or not atheists go there. Really cool. None of the JC lake of fire satan bullshit....great progressive thinkers. if you can find one.

I'm back home in Daytona Beach (grew up here) to look after my Dad since my Mom died. I've lived the past 30 years in Chicago. THIS IS CULTURE SHOCK. I don't want to meet any men here in any case!

@FlyingEagle1952 Ease up on the ellipses.

I have lived in Chicago for 30 years. I'm just not there at the moment. While I disagree with your characterizations, I am already well aware of your various recommendations.

Start dating here!

I'm in the boat with you. I am also child free which makes it triple impossible to locate a man who didn't have children.

I'm in my late-ish 40's (47) and it's a nightmare. Every guy who approaches me expects sex within the first 10 minutes but always says he wanta to "take it slow". Translation: I'd like to browse Tinder while I simultaneously have your legs up in the air.

P.S. I'm not on Tinder. I also put it out there that I am a relationship girl. Not a FWB type.

The only guy who message me who seem nice also seem to be predominantly Christian, and place importance in their faith. It's very disheartening. I tend to unplug for long stretches of time. Then I get curious if the landscape has changed. I poke my head out; get discouraged again and retreat.

I haven't given up. I just stopped looking a long time ago. Oh; and people who say you'll find live as soon as you stop looking...they need to come up with some better advice.

@FlyingEagle1952 Insufferable comments and poor grammar suck worse.

@FlyingEagle1952 I'm sorry it sucks for you but I'm in excellent health, travel a lot, and do whatever I want.

I'm in my late-ish 40's (47) and it's a nightmare. Every guy who approaches me expects sex within the first 10 minutes but always says he wanta to "take it slow". Translation: I'd like to browse Tinder while I simultaneously have your legs up in the air.

P.S. I'm not on Tinder. I also put it out there that I am a relationship girl. Not a FWB type.

The only guy who message me who seem nice also seem to be predominantly Christian, and place importance in their faith. It's very disheartening. I tend to unplug for long stretches of time. Then I get curious if the landscape has changed. I poke my head out; get discouraged again and retreat.

I haven't given up. I just stopped looking a long time ago. Oh; and people who say you'll find live as soon as you stop looking...they need to come up with some better advice.

There has to be chemistry or it's a waste of time. If you don't want to jump in the sack with them......what's the point? Such is life.

Why to wait 10 minutes? Usually it is a much quicker decision.

you're not alone

I highly recommend the Hitachi Magic Wand. Don't get a knock-off. Get the original!
[amazon.com]

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:13170
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.