Agnostic.com

341 197

Dating after 50

Is it just me, or is dating after 50 a nightmare?

It seems like almost everyone is so religious, which narrows the pool significantly.

Then out of those who are left the majority fall into one of these categories: looking for a nurse/care giver,
looking for someone MUCH younger to recapture their youth or REPUBLICAN

Then of the 10 people in your region that are left...you don't like 5 and the other 5 don't like you.

OYE! I think I just need a gay best friend to do things with and a new vibrator.

Crimson67 8 Jan 6

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

341 comments (276 - 300)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I agree. I can't even get a date. I'm a 70 yo stuck in a 50 yo body. Much of what you said i find to be true. Being an athiest puts in you in a 1% group and it goes downhill from there. I'm extremely fit. Hardly anyone above 50 even has a pulse, and then i actually read nonfiction books, go to museums, classical concerts, and no lie, the ballet. And it seems all the women have a dog and cat menagerie and you had better gush over their pets!! A nightmare of stupendous proportions.

"Is it just me, or is dating after 50 a nightmare?"

It's not just you.

add to that...trying to find a SOBER person (for me ) !!! yeah. mission impossible.... and what's with all these guys that say they are "christian", but when asked about it, they flip flop all over the place like a fish in a boat...well...uh...not really...I just uh...you know...

My late wife and I married at a ministers house in California,and never stepped in a Church during our marriage, she had crosses in the hallway,we decorated a tree, and had gift exchanges,but not at all religious in other ways,. a very calm no drama marriage,no drugs,smoking of abuse by me or her.

SOBER... is right! After a 17 year marriage to an alcoholic, that's at the top of the list. And around here where I live, there isn't much else to do. I don't mind a drink once in a while... And for the first several years, it was just once in a while. Then as she got closer to 40, everything changed. And she went in the deep end, drinking to a drunken stupor every single day, but not before I invited her to leave. She married another, even worse alcoholic, and I took the kids. Now, I find myself both divorced and alone, having seen my youngest graduate high school this past spring. The divorced, I'm used to... but the silence drives me nuts. I keep the TV on now... Just for background noise.

@Junkman My past 12 year relationship was with someone who could drink half a bottle of grey goose vodka in one evening. She was very well off, nationally known in her field but nothing I could do or say could stir her from her bottle. Your post reminded me of why, when I date (and only infrequently) I gently try to ask the person't drinking habits.

I vote: Nightmare.

"Is it just me, or is dating after 50 a nightmare?"
When it happens, I will offer my experiences for your perusal. But it ain't. The void stares back. It yawns and tells me to stop wasting my time.

It is difficult; but I'm not sure that it's more difficult than younger years. The dating game has never come naturally for me.

Yeah i think youre right. i live in a small place anyway. i think we are screwed

Lol... I feel your pain. Finding myself both single and alone after 60... (I was raising kids) is a nightmare. Living in Keokuk, Iowa is another. After going through your list, it's not like 10... It's like minus 2!

There are MANY THINGS worse than a gay friend and a new vibrator! Vibrators don't care if you toss them aside for a month and they don't nag you to use them in ways you don't like! 🙂

Gay BFs will go to sappy movies with you and will trash your last love object and they'll even make a cake for your birthday!

I think the majority of people are unrealistic. Everyone wants a conflict free world, country, enviroment, relationship, life, etc. etc.. Thats not reality. Reality is that the world and every aspect of it is always in conflict of some kind. It always has been and will always comtinue to be. If thats what you want and expect then you are delusional and trying to live an illusion. Single people at 50 have been through so much shit that they just want peace anymore. Well, you're going to be lonely then because nothing is ever perfect. I'm 48 and looking at my second failed marriage. My first wife was older, my second younger. Age makes no difference I can tell you that. I'll be damned if I'm going to give up though. It was my wives who expected everything to be perfect and always their way. Just because they were both that way doesn't mean there isn't a woman out there that knows that that is absurd. That everything won't always be unicorns and rainbows. I hope I find her. If I don't then I will settle for the good times I have with the next person until they are gone. I won't submit to being a disgruntled old hag like most of the single men and women my age that I know are. Also I think when someone looks for someone younger, that is why, because older single people's attitudes about relationships suck.

Even on this site where most people are pretty open minded, the majority have an endless list of criteria someone has to meet to be considered as dateable relationship material. I definately do not. If a girl has a pretty smile and is kind to me, Id go out with her and give it a try. Why not? What do I have to loose? Nothing I havent lost before.

@craycraycatty At our age I think all a person needs to bring to the table is companionship. You sound like my sister. Maybe it's all the rain. I went to high school in Vancouver. I have a lot of friends and family in the great northwest. Do you like seafood? There's a lot of great places to eat in Seattle. Elliots, The Walrus and the Carpenter? Maybe when I'm out there some day we could go out to eat and argue or something. Lol. There'll be leftovers for your cats. I do agree with you though, life isn't that easy but that shouldn't matter.

@craycraycatty I love crab. How about gooeyduck? I used to go to longbeach and get gooeyduck. Yum! Vancouver, Washington.

Over 60 is no picnic either. Not sure I want to live with someone but I miss having someone special. Biggest issue so far? The last THREE men who showed interest had EXTENSIVE physical ailments. One was really sweet and we clicked instantly but im pretty healthy for someone who is going to be 65 next month. Is it too much to ask not to want to be someone's nurse? Been there, survived that...really don't want to do it again.
Not ready to give up yet...but this is harder than I thought it would be.

I'm with you! I think that, as we get older, our priorities DO shift....younger, we love good looks and a certain prosperity and superficial things. As we age, we find what really matters...similar tastes, similar interests, similar humor, etc. I spent years tending to a dying husband and, realizing this sounds shallow, etc....I will NOT do that again! You're right--as many men age (NOT ALL OF THEM, of course) they look for nurses and caretakers. NOPE!

You are beautiful! Just remember that!

@LucyLoohoo I couldn't agree with you more. My last relationship of '6 years' I spent taking care of him... It got to the point where I quit taking care of me - when I finally sent him back to Texas his family called me the devils spawn because I wouldn't stop taking care of him... I think they thought that hurt my feelings ???

I've been lucky so far with that arena in my life.

Age is not the issue
In my opinion
When you are with somebody, age is the least important criteria. Of course Phyaics are important but when the two way of thinking don't match, when one or both sides are so egoist, ignorant or ....in general when one lacks ethics, age and all other physial stuff worth nothing

Lmao

And you must be in a better part of the US than I have been. Tennessee and Texas mostly, so back that date up a couple of decades.

U kidding me ? Who cares if we r near 50 or after 50 or whatever . Different ages different troubles . I drive near an hr and half to work ( by choice ) when I work . Listening to music and thanking self for surviving to be near 50. I heard my patients say often , " oh I ll give an arm and a leg to be 20 again , even 30, easier to find true love ". I say keep the arm and the leg , u gonna need it ma'am / sir ?Our age came w wisdom . Experiences . We are more selective hopefully . That's all . And we have learned to be happily alone if we have to , instead of lonely . The easiest thing in the world , to find someone to date , especially if u r a woman . Just put a sign " available .." but who has energy for this or time ! Dating , companion , love , is even better at our age I think . Bcz we r better . Or at least we know r selves better . We have kissed hopefully all the frogs and lizards already ?And we have no need for Prince either ! Win / win situation ! Smile and stay alive . The ones that are not for u or for me , none to do bcz of r age . Just not for us . Especially if rebuplicans !!! ???

Here in Virginia Beach, VA I hear that "Oh I wish I could be younger again" from many people. In my book age is just a number. To be honest, there are bad apples in any pot regardless of age and gender. When it comes to dating, more need people rid themselves of the thought of there is a soulmate i.e. the one for them. I’ve personally never believed in the whole concept of “soulmates”. No matter how ahead of the curve you think yourself to be, there will be thousands like you walking the same curve. You will think that you are the only one who has those odd habits, odd idiosyncrasies, or you are the only one awake at that particular hour of the night. But the truth is, there are hundreds, perhaps thousands who are exactly like you. There are plenty of people who would satisfy an individual criteria of Ms. Right and Mr. Perfect. It’s just pure coincidence that you found one of them and were acquainted to him or her and now consider them your “soulmate”. In the end, “the one” is the one you choose, so choose well!!

My stance for many years is its better to be single and lonely than together and miserable with the wrong person. The time we are blessed with on this Earth is very finite. Time spent in a bad relationship is time wasted finding the right one. You can’t find the love you deserve if you’re giving attention to a dead-end relationship. Once you become the person you want to meet wants to find, you will find yourself in the right place to find the person who’s right for you.

You don’t choose who you’re attracted to, but you definitely choose who you fall in love with and (more importantly) who you stay in love with.Real love is an unconditional commitment to an imperfect person. Real love isn’t just a euphoric, spontaneous feeling—it’s a deliberate choice—a plan to love each other for better and worse, for richer and poorer, in sickness and in health. At the end of the day, what matters is that we VALUE and LOVE the people that are in our lives. It's essential to learn that happiness is more than just a feeling. It is also a choice and the result of a series of choices. We have to choose to appreciate and love those around us.

@daveeleceng I couldn't agree more w what u said ! Yes !

@daveeleceng. Your statement: Real love is an unconditional commitment to an imperfect person. That has got to be the most insightful and accurate thing I've ever heard. I'm not sure very many people get that - if it isn't "perfect" they start rationalizing why they should consider moving on. You are way tooooo young to be that insightful.... 😉

@Lavergne Thank you!! I'm honored and humbled <3 Over the years I realized that each of us is perfectly imperfect. I've been told by several people that I'm an old soul. Each of us finds many ways to share wisdom with others. I firmly believe that each of us need to strive to be blessings to one another. We are not here to see through one another, but to see one another through 🙂

@daveeleceng perfectly stated!

@Heidi68 Thank you!! What parts of my comment stood out to you?

I love where I'm at in my life. As far as dating, if/when it happens will be fine. I've said this before, at 53 I feel like I'm finally the person who I was meant to be all along. If someone is attracted to that great. If not that's ok too. I know what I want in a relationship regardless of age. When it's meant to happen it will.

I am right there with you. It has taken me a very long time to get here but I am so happy with where I am and who I am.

You have me laughing out loud here reading your post. Do you know the song '' Don't sit under the Apple tree ''. ? they're either too young or too old, either too gray or too grassy green, the best are in the Army, the rest will never harm me, they are either too fast or too fast asleep, '''' and so on. I used to sing it during WW2 when it was popular. So did The Andrew Sisters

I think you can date to seek a lifelong companion or you can date just to have fun. If your focus is on having fun, you don't have to worry so much about what they're like. If you're looking for a lifelong companion, there's a lot of pressure on finding someone who's a good fit. In the course of dating to have fun, there's always the chance that you might stumble across someone who you could get serious with.

Either way, a good vibrator always comes in handy.

LMAO....yeah, the religious/trump/smoker thing got me...or going through aendkess tedious conversations without hearing the voice inflection or seeing facial features with the online thing. Still patience pays off and I have added friends..so there is that.

I'd date you? I'm a kind gentleman & scholar

Hahaha! Yes, I’d second everything you said. Even decades ago, my sister and I decided all the good guys were either gay or married.

I never did do well with dating, anyway — never quite knew why, but it may have had to do with not knowing how to flirt — or how to notice or respond to someone else’s flirt. And right now, this is the closest I’ve come to putting myself out there in years. I don’t know how to date. Even when I was younger, I apparently just attracted guys who wanted someone else to earn a paycheck and raise the kids they already had. And absolutely the “nurse with a purse” is a huge issue.

Wish I had a cure, but all I can say is that I totally understand. And yes, a vibrator really CAN be your best friend.

Kodij Level 5 Sep 8, 2018

I'd like to date you online. I live thousands of kilometres away from you. But we're all closer to each other because of internet

@Noyi You’re right about being far away. Too bad you’re married, but we can certainly be online friends.

@Kodij
OK. Thank you

Age is no bar for dating, because only our body is subjected to ageing process and not our mind or desires.

Noyi Level 6 Sep 8, 2018

are you sure?

I'd be willing to bet many here are liberal, as am I. But I'm Canadian.....

I might be too young for your taste, but i won't mind a 50 y/o woman like you ?

Fortunately or unfortunately, I won't know what dating in my 50's is like for three more years. 🙂

That being said, dating in one's 40's is not much different, especially where I live. Fort Wayne, Indiana is a VERY religious (and ergo, a very hypocritical) place. One of its nicknames is The City of Churches. I recently read that the city has more than 1,000 churches, but a population of only 265,000. Staggering!

My struggle as a man is finding someone who:

1. Isn't looking for a sugar daddy
  2. Isn't a gold digger
  3. Isn't religious
  4. Isn't a blind adherent to either party, but especially the Republican party (or worse, a Trump supporter)
  5. Doesn't have a lot of emotional baggage
  6. Isn't bitter or hateful toward men in general
  7. Isn't superficial or materialistically oriented
    8 ) Is well educated, or at least of above average intelligence
  8. Is an a naturally caring, kind, and decent person
  9. Is comfortable with her femininity
  10. Is confident about her body and sexuality
  11. Has similar interests
  12. Is at least somewhat physically attractive

I'll be 47 on Wednesday. The closest I have managed so far is to find a woman who lives 450 miles away who seems to be mostly compatible. My chances of finding what I am looking for within 100 miles of where I live is about as slim as it gets without being zero.

I feel ya. 🙂

My birthday is on Wednesday too.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:13170
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.