Agnostic.com

341 197

Dating after 50

Is it just me, or is dating after 50 a nightmare?

It seems like almost everyone is so religious, which narrows the pool significantly.

Then out of those who are left the majority fall into one of these categories: looking for a nurse/care giver,
looking for someone MUCH younger to recapture their youth or REPUBLICAN

Then of the 10 people in your region that are left...you don't like 5 and the other 5 don't like you.

OYE! I think I just need a gay best friend to do things with and a new vibrator.

Crimson67 8 Jan 6

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

341 comments (201 - 225)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

What about mature children who imagine they know whats best for their single parents and do everything possible to retain exclusivity with mum or dad?

Nardi Level 7 June 10, 2018

Your talking about my son ... you are a seer

“ to thine own self be true”, stick to your guns and don’t every your self short. There are many people out there that can meet your needs and share beliefs. Wheathertexting and / or getting comfortable. I have been working for years and meet people all the time and the Sierra club is an example of like interests

I thought dating after 30 was bad!

Have you given any serious consideration toward bestiality?

Oh wait, that's a guy thing. Never mind...

guys plus Katherine the Great.

@andygee It is not true about the great Russian leader Catherine. Women are denegrated throughout history for great success & sexually denegrating her is the easiest & and most lascivious. Unless you were joking.....then never mind.

@Countrywoman Well, I hadn't given the story any thought until my Social Studies teacher in high school 40 years ago brought it up as an exercise in historicity. He laid out whaever documentary evidence existed. There was a picture of the block and tackle. Having seen breeding barns myself, I tended to doubt the story, but I really have no informed opinion either way.

@andygee, I think bestiality is one of the last great prejudices that society will eventually overcome.

We shall overcome! (Or as the donkeys say, "Ney nay whinnee nay whinnee!" )

Dating after 50 actually depends on your perception of yourself as well as your perception of others. I'm 88 and see no dating problems, period. I see many men and women over 50 enjoying life, and dating too. I have many friends of both sexes who enjoying life to the utmost. And that includes me. My life couldn't be better, and I see no shortage of nice ladies to date. I'm not well off financially, average looking, have no special talents, and yet I'm very happy. If you're unhappy with your social life maybe you should ask your friends to offer suggestions about helping your social life, and then really listen to what they say. You may find your life changing for the better in a hurry!

Why on earth not!!!!!!!!! OF COURSE....................!

I don't think I've "dated" since I was in my 30s. My relationships seem to spring out of weird synchronistic circumstances. My last two long term (17 years and 7 years) relationships occurred from young men (17 & 19 years younger) pursuing me. I am NOT a cougar. They pursued me.

I like women my age(57-70)

You must be the greatest gal in your province to be so wanted and tenured

they pursued you because you are open, honest, realistic and lovely...just being yourself with no pretentiousness is attractive to many who are so jaded by the bullshit...wow...you go, you beautiful woman!

As a new-ishly (happily) divorced 52 year old, this thread is depressing - and true. I want a companion, but I have obligations. I want love, but have forgotten how to be a good lover. I want someone who is like me, but brings out my better angels. Who is my age, atheist-ish, lives near me, is well educated, smart, funny...etc. Oh, and I don't really want any of that - too much work. Easier to be on my own. But, then, I want a funny travel companion, and it suddenly isn't always easier to be alone...Wow. I like my life, would like to share it, but am too old and too picky to succeed. Well, thanks all. I'm now feeling old and want to tell people to get off my lawn. I'm off to bed now. 🙂

Holli Level 6 June 18, 2018

Perhaps it's due to my lack of linguistic insight, but I still don't really understand what dating really is.

I honestly haven’t found it as difficult as you may have. I do find that if I lay things out including who I am, what I’m about like my politics or beliefs which I won’t compromise on and yet respect others opinions, thoughts..... it helps . Also I try to be honest the I’m 66 years your and I’m an active sexual creature ( straight ) and enjoy intimacy and giving a woman oral pleasure.... this is who I am too

I honestly haven’t found it as difficult as you may have. I do find that if I lay things out including who I am, what I’m about like my politics or beliefs which I won’t compromise on and yet respect others opinions, thoughts..... it helps . Also I try to be honest the I’m 66 years your and I’m an active sexual creature ( straight ) and enjoy intimacy and giving a woman oral pleasure.... this is who I am too

Not quite 50, but I think many cut out potential mates for odd reasons. I'll date republicans who are rational, can articulate their motivations and are respectful of others. Sadly many of my fellow liberals can't do those three things we should have learned before high school.

Personally I haven't found dating in my mid 40s to be bad. I'm a social guy, several of my female friends and acquaintances have single friends. I think it's essential to cultivate platonic relationships, I met my last two GFs through acquaintances.

One odd aspect of religious dating that seems to infect heretics and infidels is men have to be assertive and women need to be demure. I usually figure out if a woman is interested so this helps me, but I've known a lot of women who never make the first move or make it OBVIOUS a guy they like should ask them out.

LOL, btw I've been in OK, TX and UT for ten years, it's not like I'm surrounded by a atheist hotties 🙂

I haven't found dating Republicans to be particularly fulfilling. Either we completely avoid speaking about anything that matters, or I'm subjected to "libtard" jokes. Living in Arizona, it means I've pretty much given up.

@GinaMaria I only lived in AZ for 1 year and no dating. My parents live there so I visit frequently. Just anecdotal, but conservatives in AZ seem a little less civil than conservatives I've met in the South or Utah.

I'm not sure I could date a liberal who is consistently toxic to people she disagrees with politically so I definitely understand not wanting to date someone who uses "libtard" with any seriousness.

I also know several professional women who would NEVER consider dating a man who makes $20k less lol and many of those same women say they're dedicated to dismantling the patriarchy. Also stay at home moms who demand all potential dates make enough to support them and their kids. One woman I know of recently got married but her biggest concern was his $70k salary would be a significant reduction for her children, she can't make $40k.

Sorry women, there simply aren't that many single men who make $100k, especially if you throw in supporting a 20ish failure to launch or the ego associated with not deigning to date plumbers 🙂

If we truly reject religious culture, wouldn't we also reject concepts the man is the breadwinner and women need to be demure that are intrinsically tied to religion?

Shoot! I'd love to date a plumber, but like a doctor, those on-call emergencies might get frustrating.

@GinaMaria lol definitely! Being on call can be really frustrating! That just means dating men who get dirty isn't beneath you.

@educatedredneck Naw... my dad was a mechanic. I feel that a person's value isn't in their job, but rather in how they treat others and how they approach life.

@GinaMaria my Dad was also a mechanic, treating others well seems like a concept many don't value right now.

This problem was created when they decided not to pay women the same salary , for doing the same work . Then , they put us on the Mommy track , so we don't get the same job opportunities or promotions , as well .

yes yes yes. it' only a flesh wound.

@Breathingtrees I'm sadly but solidly white collar and can fix a leaky faucet if the problem is the water is turned on.

I've met several women who are fixated on dating lawyers, doctors and MIGHT make an exception for a hospital administrator or a top realtor lol just a little exaggeration but I did know a guy who ran a city's sewer plant and he had a few women turn up their noses at him.

@Breathingtrees yeah my other requirements are so high how someone makes money isn't an issue, ya know as long as she's not an assassin, pharmaceutical rep...and I'd have problems dating Amish milkmaids, but not bc they smell like cow pies.

It's a minefield, ha ha.

I've noticed that even in their 40s, people tend to be significantly more unyielding with respect to what they won't put up with. They see themselves as not having much time to weed out the prospects that are only promising yet not perfect.

So your perception is that the casualty rate in the first and perhaps second waves of attempts at dating them is much, much higher, it is saving you a bit of time. I don't necessarily agree that it significantly increases their chances of finding someone they match with, but I certainly can't tell them they're not entitled to do things the way they are comfortable with in their own private lives.

Why is it so hard to find someone to spend the rest of my life with?

You answered your own question.

I love it. hell, you are dead spot on. solitude is highly under-rated. just have to make sure you humans are far enough away for me to spill my guts.

I feel your pain. It's the same story all over, @crimson67: it's complicated because in this age group a lot of people have kids, are at points in their career arcs demanding a fair amount of time, and have been burned in past LTR's (particularly marriages). It's frustrating and challenging for us menfolk too!

I don't know what else there is to do but to keep on trying to meet Ms. Right. Every time I strike up a new relationship with a new woman I'm hopeful! I've the advantage of a large dating pool near a big city. Your profile says you're in Kentucky, and especially if you're in one of the more rural areas that may be the real factor. Do you have access to Louisville or Cincy, maybe?

There are men out there who are 1) not religious, 2) not obnoxiously conservative, 3) reasonably easy on the eye, and 4) interested in finding partners (that word chosen deliberately) of approximately the same age. Keep on fishing, in bigger and bigger ponds if need be.

Everyone fears this...[agnostic.com]

Baggage, set in their ways with little room to change. No longer trainable. Lack of sound health. Way too many pills to stay alive.

Well, just to let you know that it's not impossible, I got re-married at 52. Hang in there.

Orbit Level 7 July 2, 2018

Having atheist in your profile is a killer. Unless it's my photo 🙂

I had a total player, who was very devout... bizarrely, try to tell me I HAD to state in my profiles that I was...

"A GOOD CHRISTIAN MAN"

He guaranteed me, this was all I really had to state... "They'll lap it up!" His whole thing was about how many women he could bed a week for a few years. He couldn't wrap his head around me telling him I wasn't going to lie on my profile. By the way his target female group was the over 50 crowd. I'd show him someone 47 I thought was attractive and interesting and his opinion was invariably...

"Why are you looking at her? She's 47, she still thinks she has it going on! Find someone over 50, they're more desperate!"

You think it's tough after 50? Try it when you're over 70. IT SUCKS !

I decided I'm just going to find myself a good handyman and marry him.

Finding a good Man to keep you happy and do home repairs,is possible,lots of Widowers like my self,still strong,in pretty good shape,but finding compatible Women is not easy.

I'm 47 and I totally agree. It also doesn't help that I'm crap with meeting new people (its fine once I know you but those initial interactions are just so awkward).

Blech. I hate it. I oscillate from "I hate being alone" to, "who needs the grief", then back again. In between I remain single. :/

It’s complicated, but there’s someone out there for you.

@Sorcha
I’m not saying that there’s a soulmate out there for you. There are no perfect fits, but there are millions of men and women in the world, one of those will work for you.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:13170
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.