Agnostic.com

341 197

Dating after 50

Is it just me, or is dating after 50 a nightmare?

It seems like almost everyone is so religious, which narrows the pool significantly.

Then out of those who are left the majority fall into one of these categories: looking for a nurse/care giver,
looking for someone MUCH younger to recapture their youth or REPUBLICAN

Then of the 10 people in your region that are left...you don't like 5 and the other 5 don't like you.

OYE! I think I just need a gay best friend to do things with and a new vibrator.

Crimson67 8 Jan 6

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

341 comments (101 - 125)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

So many raised in the fold, seem to see their later years as a time to hunker down and cram for the final they anticipate at the Pearly Gates. My mom (85yo) and my uncle (90yo), who were wild and crazy in their youth, (so the stories go,) are bible thumping church folks now.

Candy Level 4 Mar 1, 2018

If you're a 50+ man with a pulse and common sense all you must do is make yourself available and the women will hunt you down. I've been chased no fewer than 7x the last few years and I am certainly no prize. Thankfully they're most all churchies and as soon as they find out I am a heathen Buddhist they give me space. I like my simple, unattached, low-T life. Plus chicks are so busy man. I prefer to hang out, listen to The Wall, discuss world events, drink some tea, smoke some weed, and philosophize. If we need to boost the energy then I put on the Violent Femmes. Most women shy away from my preferred lifestyle.

Hang out here long enough and you will have atheist women hunting you down and chasing you. I know lots of middle aged women who listen to the Wall, discuss world issues and yes, on occasion, smoke a bit of weed. If you look for eccentric women, you will find a good supply of them.

@SKH78 Damn straight!

No FWB for me. Nothing casual, either.

Gave up on finding. someone near me am 57 and find that a lot of my peers aree now bigger asswipes than me and I've spent my lifetime pissing everyone off

Even after a few years of being divorced my faith in believing there is some vibrantly beautiful woman to become in love with, is out there somewhere is firm. Am more OK than last year being alone but my friskies isn't going to let me be content in lonliness. Hugs and squeezes are more thsn an urge... I'd term them nutritious in an essential nature...

Kraig Level 3 Mar 6, 2018

Hope you find a woman you get along with. It is horrible for the men to be w/o a partner. Women would like a partner, but if they cant' find one, they just make sure they have a good circle of friends and a good vibrator.

Congratulations on the popular post. 134 comments and counting. That might be a record for this site. I've read through most of the comments and it's seems the prevailing observations are that we're all getting more picky (set in our ways) as we age and we all realize that being non-religiuos reduces the dating pool by 80 or 90 percent. The result is a paradoxical dilemma.

I don't have problems getting dates through traditional means. But it's been difficult finding a substantial woman who fits my preferences and I see myself as pretty open minded. I was hoping this site would create a positive opportunity for finding a long term partner. But mostly I see pessimism from the comments on this post. IMO most of the people here are accomplished, smart, and like-minded. Because of that I'm still optimistic and hoping there is someone here for me.

There is an excellent supply of Thinking Women on this site. Look for them, you will find them.

LOL, yup.

It's been something of an eye-opener, joining the dating sites and finding myself in the middle of a crowd of "blessed" folks. I was raised fundamentalist, and the blatant hypocrisy was a huge factor in my questioning and eventual rejection of faith. When I see some of the stuff posted in "singles" forums by the supposedly god-fearing, it makes me wanna reach through the screen and slap somebody.

As far as youth goes, I admit I'm drawn to it on some superficial levels. But if I can get past the alure of all things smooth and firm, I know I'm more appreciative of more substantive qualities like experience and self-awareness, the kinds of things that only come with maturity.

Well I will agree with you on the political and religious aspects. After my divorce 10 years ago I started going on facebook and Classmates.com and went thru all the reunions. And it seemed alot of people I reconnected with had become religious and very conservitive, some very out of character from how I knew them from before. Its almost as if its expected to fit in again? I've been thru my share of relationships in the past 10 years. I guess thats why I gave up on the dating game too.But this web site has actually given hope to find some one who is at least like minded. I thank you all for being here.

Yes, lots of people get religion when they get older ... or .... horrors .... they turn Right Wing. Dating services for non-believers in their 50s, 60s, 70s .... I hope they keep expanding. "Mature" thinkers need all the help they can get.

And then, when you do find someone who seems perfect, they are either the same gender or in Kentucky. :-/

Yes, dating after 50 is very difficult. I think you might be on to something. Find a male friend who is gay, who is easy to talk to and smart .... and make sure you have several working vibrators. Life is not fair. Boo Hoo, Boo Hoo, Boo Hoo.

SKH78 Level 8 Mar 10, 2018

Worked as a Chef for over 30yrs. I had very little time to build relationships or even see my family., Now that I’m retired I have all this free time. I’ve gotten so used to living alone so I rarely felt lonely. I have realized lately loneliness has been creeping up on me, and it is stronger than the acceptence of being alone.
Im basically an introvert and rely on dating sites to meet people. After 5 yrs of eHarmony I had quite a few dates but when it came to religous conversatios they were gone in a flash. So I went ahead and put on my profile that I was an Athiest..and poof all the responses disappeared.
I think dating over 50 can be a nightmare. Im hoping with this site finding someone compatible might be a liile easier. Really hoping to find someone to dance with until the end of love.

I'm well over 50 and my experience with dating men my age or older, is they're in a "break neck" hurry....I mean like they're going to die alone next week. I've even asked them "what's your hurry?" Be afraid, be very afraid!

Either very religious or damaged/bitter/just plain pissed off about relationships and the other sex in general. It's a minefield.

I was told that at my age I shouldn't think about dating....so, I can't answer. 🙂)

You are unique you can do what you like please don't stop on other accounts

@Rosh Thanks; the 🙂 should have told you I don't care about what people say.

Hm...well...I am over fifty...and I am NOT looking for a mommy, a nurse, a caregiver or...a sugar mommy. I am for the most part self sufficient...except for SOME things I need help with...tying my shoelaces...buttoning my shirt...chewing bubblegum and walking at the same time. LOL. I am NOT religious...I am by NO MEANS...a republican...I don't know WHAT I am...liberal to a degree...I like women...My MOM was good to me...NOT looking for another, lol. Just a really NICE girl to hang with and grow together with. I can help you with the vibrator work if you'd like, lol...so you won't seem to be doing EVERYTHING alone. And I am a REALLY good friend...NOT gay but I LOVE shopping, for WHATEVER...and just hangin' with a cool chick...PLUS...I LOVE RED HAIR...OH YES. I am an Itallian Scorpio...one girl said...OMG...I DO NOT KNOW WHAT SHE MEANT. lol I'd LOVE to hear back from you.

I really don't know. No one asks me out. My girlfriends tell me I intimidate men.
I don't care. Like others I'm happy with myself and content. I believe in"never say never" I don't know what the future holds.

I am nearly seventy have a partner emotionally attached by not sexually I rather believ we see to our own needs but I have never questioned him nor he me - Content with companionship.

This is brand new to me. I'm 61, and having been married to the man I very recently divorced since I was 44, have not even attempted dating yet. I have plenty of gay friends, too. I do recommend a vibrator... even if you do eventually meet the partner of your dreams.

Deb57 Level 8 Mar 17, 2018

I've read this post twice. I think I can just about agree with all of it. One thing I find is people that want you to entertain them. Now what is that all about? You know the type. You wake up in the morning and they ask immediately "what are we going to do today?"

I was going to say try being in Texas but then noticed your in E town KY.
I’ve always had a hard time finding someone, I’m just glad it didn’t take as long to find my second husband as it did my first.
Try finding a guy at 35 that still wants kids. In Texas, and you’re a liberal Atheist.
Second time, try finding someone that doesn’t mind that you’re 45 and have a 9 year old.
But I did find my present (2nd) husband fairly quickly on Match and he’s a couple years younger and his younger son is only a couple of years older than my son. So it does happen.

It sounds like you have come up with a solution to your problem. Good for you. 🙂

Crimson you nailed it! LMBO!

A quick after 50 dating story:

My grandmother died when she was around 60.

My grandfather quickly remarried a dreadful gold-digger and spent a few decades with her (he seamed to be ok making her happy all the time) before she kicked the bucket.

Sortly after his 2nd wife died in his mid 80’s he found a caring and bright widowed woman withing (+-10 years or so ) his age bracket. They traveled the world together and she even moved in with him (until her children/grandchildren (Catholics) told her that was a sin to live with or go on trips with another man as this would anger her dead 1st husband who was waiting for her in heaven).

Before her children condemned their relationship, their “Puppy Love” was cute, they held hands all the time, smiled at each other and kissed on the lips and expressed a great interest in sharing their lives together. Eventually they both wound up in the same retirement home (different rooms on the opposite side of the complex) and, to keep her children happy, were careful not to be caught showing affection towards each other.

I feel your pain. I’m an atheist, non-smoking, liberal who doesn’t hunt or fish, and I love in the middle of KY! And I am 53 years old. It also hurts that I have the energy of people half my age. Friends my age are talking about their upcoming retirements and I am talking about spending the day in an art gallery or museum.

Good on you you are only old as you feel old enjoy the journey

lmao It seemed a perfectly reasonable enquiry until the last line! I'd love to help but may just have to send you some batteries 🙂

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:13170
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.