Agnostic.com

783 56

How do you deal with Door-knockers?

Whether they be Witnesses, Mormons, or another proselytizing religion, how do you deal with people coming to your door to spread their religion?
I just had my first experience since getting a place of my own and had a decent conversation through the crack in my door. After I told him I was an atheist he tried to use apologetics; when I told him I was familiar with his arguments and didn't find them convincing further explaining that I take a scientific route of belief and chose not to believe until there is evidence for a god. He understood and thanked me for explaining and listening to him and he left with a handshake. I was surprised at myself for how civil I was to him but how does everyone else usually respond?

Nicsnort 6 Oct 14

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

783 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

"Why would anybody want to worship a blood god in this day and age?"

Sectarians surprise us by often overstepping the bounds of decency that exist in our society. After all, if someone tells us that he is busy or simply does not want to communicate, we try not to impose our society on him. Sectarians are going ahead. Even when you directly tell them "no", it doesn't stop them. They are not aimed at dialogue and attention to the interlocutor, their goal is disputes. In order to protect yourself from them, install a stronger door with a good peephole so that you can immediately see that it is them. You can find more information about good doors using quality websites.

Knockers don't worry me. It's the Walkers i worry about!

I don't answer the door

I have have answered the door to various religious types sharpening one of my swords they usually get the point without me giving it to them.

Honesty is just the beginning to understand and respect others differences. You handled that perfectly well. There is no reason the afraid or upset by anyone coming to spread the word they believe is putting them in a peaceful state. I actually find it very interesting to see others point of view. I had had a variety of people come to my door with their word and even witnesses and Mormons have their OWN point of view of their religion. Everyone should give everyone the opportunity to explain their peace, it's very mind opening.

Crys Level 3 July 25, 2019

I moved to the woods thinking the knockers wouldn't follow. Alas, two showed up.
I rolled my eyes and went back inside.
Haven't seen them since.

Come on in! We were about to sacrifice a chicken to the dark lord Satan!

Put a sign on the door "Cold callers will be composted

My roommate tells them "we worship satan in this house" and they immediately run. The one time I talked to them as a teenager I gave him some new perspectives on the doctrine and what knowing God actually means (basically to refute the idea that u have to know jesus to recognize God after death), he got really introspective and thoughtful for a minute, said thank you, and walked away lol.

I haven't had a door-knocker in a very long time but if I did, I'd prefer a JW or a Scientologist. I'd ask them how they can possibly believe the bullshit they're fed.

Tell them not interested and don't come back again without a warrant

I generally say I respect your beliefs, now respect mine and then I politely ask them to leave.

Tell them before they come knocking to fuck off im an Atheist

Hey. I open the door if they have BIG knockers. What can I say? It's the dawg in me baby.

I tell them they are just in time for the orgy but they missed the human sacrifice though we are having another next week if they would like to volunteer just leave their contact info at satan.com

EASY! I tell them I get equal time,,,,five minutes. When I am done they shake my hand and leave!!!

It all depends on how I’m feeling at the time. Usually a polite “no thanks, be happy”, occasionally an invitation talk and pose them the question about why they need answers everything..... and once, just once I shouted back into an empty house “Have we got the sacrificial goat ready?”

Just Level 4 Mar 21, 2019

@Nicsnort My advice is to remove the door knocker! Look, there is no point in engaging them in conversation, as you are not going to be convinced. In my experience it is best not to engage in conversation with a door-stepper, rather say that you are busy at the moment and say goodbye.
There is no need to waste your time listening to them and they will be quite happy to move onto the next door; it's what they expect will happen.

Well Done! He is more likely to give some thought to your talking points, combining with his most certain doubts (Evryone has them, admit them or not), due to the fact that you were civil.

I feel insulted. As if .

NMost people just say "I have my no own religion and im fine with it. No thanks"

You're WAY nicer than I am. I just tell them I'm too old for invisible friends.

You're WAY nicer than I am. I just tell them I'm too old for invisible friends.

Many years ago, when I was married, a young (16-17) JW showed up at our door and wanted talk about marriage. We let him in and listened his adolescent musings for a few minutes, then politely showed him out. It was then I saw the 2 adults waiting on the sidewalk. Why hadn’t they come the door with him, I wondered? Then I realized this was not an attempt at proselytizing at all. It was deliberate alienation: they knew that everyone would reject this poor boy all day long, trying talk adults about marriage, and they were there console him and be his only friends. It’s part of creating a cult mentality: the world rejects you, but we’re here for you. The young man was sincere; the adults were predators.

This seems to work well....[agnostic.com]

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:1448
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.