Agnostic.com

783 56

How do you deal with Door-knockers?

Whether they be Witnesses, Mormons, or another proselytizing religion, how do you deal with people coming to your door to spread their religion?
I just had my first experience since getting a place of my own and had a decent conversation through the crack in my door. After I told him I was an atheist he tried to use apologetics; when I told him I was familiar with his arguments and didn't find them convincing further explaining that I take a scientific route of belief and chose not to believe until there is evidence for a god. He understood and thanked me for explaining and listening to him and he left with a handshake. I was surprised at myself for how civil I was to him but how does everyone else usually respond?

Nicsnort 6 Oct 14

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

783 comments (701 - 725)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I've tried something similarly and they want to know where I heard about the things that contradict their message. I tell them not to ignore the ugly parts of the bible and be honest about the info they share.

I actually have a few prewritten bullet-pointed arguments ready to roll out when they start their spiel. I live in an apartment complex that houses two pairs of the bicycle riders, one male pair, and one female pair. I get the knock on my door about once a month.

I first saw the male pair, then when they saw that I live with a female roommate, they sent the female pair. Now, I think they are alternating, and also sending other bicycle pairs to try to convert me.

Each time, 4 now, I lay out, or continue, an argument against the existence of a god. The first was, Imperfection begotten from Perfection which then shot down their subsequent free will argument. Then the all-knowing God creating suffering, and infinite punishment for finite sins.

Next up, the imperfect revelation of his word, and how we are supposed to navigate life's problems which he could easily solve, with a manual so difficult to decipher that it has spawned 40,000 different sects of Christianity. I think I might offer them drugs if I get tired of them, but right now, it's a sport.

I think their church has promised them bonus "spirit wives" on their own planet if they convert me because these little bastards are TRYING!!

I usually talk to them spread my world view. Of course my view is that I do believe in God, just not religion which is the construct of human hands and has led to way too much human suffering.

There's a good videos about this on YouTube by Hement Mehta. Don't know if I spelled his name correctly

I respond with a no soliciting sign

Tovie Level 2 Nov 24, 2017

I say, "I am not interested in talking with you at all. Please don't come to my door again. Have a nice day." And close the door. You can't reason with them, and if you try they keep coming back.

id like to tell them to stop wasting my time and if I ever want to become delusional ill go find them but I'm not such a bad person so i just say I'm not interested

I thank them for the literature. If I am in a good mood and have nothing else to do I invite them for a soft drink. I let them talk I don't contradict their opinion but I don't let them know mine.

Gabi Level 2 Nov 24, 2017

I nod and smile through until they're done, thank then and close the door.

Open up the door and pretend I don't speak the language. I know, I take a low road but it's still a lot of fun 😉

Maaga Level 3 Nov 24, 2017

Door knockers in my area only ask if I speak Spanish. When I tell them I don't, they move on.

d_day Level 7 Nov 24, 2017

I simply say no thanks, I'm not interested. Have a nice day!
There's no need to get involved in a long discussion about a religion, because I am an agnostic.

I listen politely and say no thank you. If they persist I just stare at them and smile until they ask their next question which is usually, how certain are you that your soul is going to heaven today? To which I reply no thank you nodding and smiling. By then they are wondering what's wrong with me. I continue the polite no thank you's and awkward smiling until I just slowly close the door. I think they are relieved that I close it. They don't come back until a new batch comes to town. They think I'm out of my mind. Works like a charm. 😉

"Hey guys, this is a free country and you are entitled to believe what you want to. It's cool what you believe, but its not for me. Thanks"

I enjoy talking to religious people that I have no relation to. There's no emotion, just an exchange of ideas. I had some Mormons back for a third time before they finally got tired and stopped calling.

Nudity, nudity will detour them an future door knocking lol. It worked for me

I try to be polite, but if they continue to try to push their way in, I let them know "I don't believe in fairytales."

Politely tell them that I am not at all interested, and that they technically are trespassers subject to criminal prosecution.

I have met them w kindness as well as shutting the door in their faces; for me, its about their attitude towards me. I try to reflect whatever they send my way, politely lol bc I'm southern. Sounds like u had a good experience

I've not met a door knocker in a very long time however my response is first and foremost to be polite. "Thank you, but no thank you. Have a nice day." That being said I live in a town densely populated with Mormons. I find that when they ask if I am a member, and I say no, the conversation doesn't press. They tend to stone up a bit and the interaction ends very swiftly, but it's never been confrontational.

I would like a visit. I would talk to them and question their faith with patience.

Gray Level 3 Nov 17, 2017

I have a sign on my door.

I have a pentagram hanging on the wall behind the door, so when I open the door they can see it. I tell them I'm a pagan and while I like the teachings of their God. I prefer my Gods and my idea of the after-life. That usually freaks them out enough to go away. lol

I have a sign on the door and for the most part it is repected. Those who do NOT respect it receive my standard sermon on why I am an atheist.

I come to the door wearing nothing but an AR-15 and a Speedo. jk I don't always bring my speedo.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:1448
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.