Agnostic.com

783 56

How do you deal with Door-knockers?

Whether they be Witnesses, Mormons, or another proselytizing religion, how do you deal with people coming to your door to spread their religion?
I just had my first experience since getting a place of my own and had a decent conversation through the crack in my door. After I told him I was an atheist he tried to use apologetics; when I told him I was familiar with his arguments and didn't find them convincing further explaining that I take a scientific route of belief and chose not to believe until there is evidence for a god. He understood and thanked me for explaining and listening to him and he left with a handshake. I was surprised at myself for how civil I was to him but how does everyone else usually respond?

Nicsnort 6 Oct 14

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

783 comments (776 - 783)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I respond the same way as you. I also tell them I am concerned about them and hope they find the real meaning of life.

I talk to their children about pagan festivals and great parties - they usually make their excuses and leave quickly.

"Why would anybody want to worship a blood god in this day and age?"

Sectarians surprise us by often overstepping the bounds of decency that exist in our society. After all, if someone tells us that he is busy or simply does not want to communicate, we try not to impose our society on him. Sectarians are going ahead. Even when you directly tell them "no", it doesn't stop them. They are not aimed at dialogue and attention to the interlocutor, their goal is disputes. In order to protect yourself from them, install a stronger door with a good peephole so that you can immediately see that it is them. You can find more information about good doors using quality websites.

Knockers don't worry me. It's the Walkers i worry about!

I don't answer the door

One should deal with them as Gene Wilder and his sidekick Marty Feldman did!

Perhaps one should deal with them as did Gene Wilder?

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:1448
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.