Agnostic.com

783 56

How do you deal with Door-knockers?

Whether they be Witnesses, Mormons, or another proselytizing religion, how do you deal with people coming to your door to spread their religion?
I just had my first experience since getting a place of my own and had a decent conversation through the crack in my door. After I told him I was an atheist he tried to use apologetics; when I told him I was familiar with his arguments and didn't find them convincing further explaining that I take a scientific route of belief and chose not to believe until there is evidence for a god. He understood and thanked me for explaining and listening to him and he left with a handshake. I was surprised at myself for how civil I was to him but how does everyone else usually respond?

Nicsnort 6 Oct 14

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

783 comments (726 - 750)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

"I'm not interested" and close the door. Same with any salesperson. P.s. do listen long enough to know they don't have troubles of some kind.

luckily i live in a closed apartment complex. I wouldn't cuss at them or anything I would simply not answer the door. but they don't come by anyhow because it's a closed property and they have a whole neighborhood to walk to.

Stand on the other side of the door and knock back.

Depending on my day - I usually inform them of my lack of interest, take their literature, wish them a nice day. However, if it is disruptive to my day - I can be quite...curt....

I am a real Ass, I get in their faces, I yell, and cuss. I try to make them feel as uncomfortable as if I were in their house

Run and hide. No, seriously politely tell them I'm not interested in what they are saying.

I once told a Jehovahs Witness that I didnt see the accident and then closed the door.

I haven't had to deal with them in many years, but I used to just tell them that unless they were prepared to talk to me concerning my sexual preferences and experiences (which was always refused, for some reason), their discussion of religion was just as repugnant to me.

I used to ask them to leave my property, that they are trespassing and not welcome. I now have a sign on my door saying " No Soliciting, No Exceptions. If we don't know you, don't bother us." That has seemed to work so far. It also keeps the kids selling magazine subscriptions away.

I tell them that I am NOT a believer and my life and time are devoted to the real world and proven scientific FACTS, not something or someone that has never been proven to exist.

ParkS Level 4 Nov 5, 2017

I don't. My dog does.

I let the dog handle that. They knock, she hits the door in full protection mode, they ask if she bites and I say she might. They usually leave or just slip info leaflet in a crack of the door. It doesn't make since to talk to them, they are always right and you are wrong.

m3129 Level 2 Nov 2, 2017

Some people are rude to them, but I see no reason to mistreat anyone. If I have time, I'll talk with anyone who comes around. I came to my current stance on religion after a lot of study of theology, review of philosophical concepts, a modest understanding of science, and a great deal of introspection. It's unlikely anything they say will sway me. But if they're out in the cold or the rain and want to come in, have a cup of coffee or tea, and talk for a spell, I'm more than willing to oblige. And — who knows? — they might leave having been converted themselves. Ha!

I have have answered the door to various religious types sharpening one of my swords they usually get the point without me giving it to them.

Honesty is just the beginning to understand and respect others differences. You handled that perfectly well. There is no reason the afraid or upset by anyone coming to spread the word they believe is putting them in a peaceful state. I actually find it very interesting to see others point of view. I had had a variety of people come to my door with their word and even witnesses and Mormons have their OWN point of view of their religion. Everyone should give everyone the opportunity to explain their peace, it's very mind opening.

Crys Level 3 July 25, 2019

I moved to the woods thinking the knockers wouldn't follow. Alas, two showed up.
I rolled my eyes and went back inside.
Haven't seen them since.

Come on in! We were about to sacrifice a chicken to the dark lord Satan!

Tell them not interested and don't come back again without a warrant

I generally say I respect your beliefs, now respect mine and then I politely ask them to leave.

Tell them before they come knocking to fuck off im an Atheist

Hey. I open the door if they have BIG knockers. What can I say? It's the dawg in me baby.

EASY! I tell them I get equal time,,,,five minutes. When I am done they shake my hand and leave!!!

It all depends on how I’m feeling at the time. Usually a polite “no thanks, be happy”, occasionally an invitation talk and pose them the question about why they need answers everything..... and once, just once I shouted back into an empty house “Have we got the sacrificial goat ready?”

Just Level 4 Mar 21, 2019

@Nicsnort My advice is to remove the door knocker! Look, there is no point in engaging them in conversation, as you are not going to be convinced. In my experience it is best not to engage in conversation with a door-stepper, rather say that you are busy at the moment and say goodbye.
There is no need to waste your time listening to them and they will be quite happy to move onto the next door; it's what they expect will happen.

Well Done! He is more likely to give some thought to your talking points, combining with his most certain doubts (Evryone has them, admit them or not), due to the fact that you were civil.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:1448
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.