Agnostic.com

783 56

How do you deal with Door-knockers?

Whether they be Witnesses, Mormons, or another proselytizing religion, how do you deal with people coming to your door to spread their religion?
I just had my first experience since getting a place of my own and had a decent conversation through the crack in my door. After I told him I was an atheist he tried to use apologetics; when I told him I was familiar with his arguments and didn't find them convincing further explaining that I take a scientific route of belief and chose not to believe until there is evidence for a god. He understood and thanked me for explaining and listening to him and he left with a handshake. I was surprised at myself for how civil I was to him but how does everyone else usually respond?

Nicsnort 6 Oct 14

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

783 comments (426 - 450)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I don't have a problem because I was a door-knocker(JW) at one time. I wasn't very good at it because I really didn't believe in pushing your believe on to someone. But if I come in contact they leave me alone because they label me an apostate.

I actually don't open my door to anyone I'm not expecting. If one corners me on the way in or out, I don't accept their flyers etc. I just tell them that I think religion is silly and walk past them.

I tell them my daughter is a witch and part of a coven. Then I invite them in. So far, no takers!

I used to tell them I was Pagan. At first they were incredulous, then scared. It didn't keep the next wave of newbies from coming around, though.

Well it depends on my mood that day and the way they approach me.

Avoidance.

I'm polite. I say that my household has exactly the right number of gods required and wish them a good day.

I talk through the door and tell them to get off my property ASAP. or I'll call the police, and don't come back.

I ask door knockers "what exactly do the churches do with the cash donations they receive? because people are still homeless and children are still starving"

By all means please come in I welcome the opportunity to explain why I am an atheist .

Take their pamphlet. Tell them you are very busy and need to get back to work, then politely shut to door on them.

BD66 Level 8 Oct 17, 2017

I close the door. I figure that makes my position clear. I treat them the same way I treat cable salespeople.

My roommate tells them "we worship satan in this house" and they immediately run. The one time I talked to them as a teenager I gave him some new perspectives on the doctrine and what knowing God actually means (basically to refute the idea that u have to know jesus to recognize God after death), he got really introspective and thoughtful for a minute, said thank you, and walked away lol.

I haven't had a door-knocker in a very long time but if I did, I'd prefer a JW or a Scientologist. I'd ask them how they can possibly believe the bullshit they're fed.

I tell them they are just in time for the orgy but they missed the human sacrifice though we are having another next week if they would like to volunteer just leave their contact info at satan.com

I handle them gently, taking my thumb and fore finger and...Oh! Door knockers!...Never mind.

I just send my husband to deal with this trash. He is not a really polite man.

zesty Level 7 Feb 18, 2019

I usually take the introvert approach and pretend that I'm not home. They'll go away eventually. ?

If I'm not busy I will engage them and shred their belief system until they leave. I love it when they bring a protege because they don't stay long because they don't want their protege contaminated.

I stop them as soon as they start heading down my driveway by telling them that if I didn't invite them onto my property, they are trespassing.

Invite them in. I've never been a believer, so I'm fascinated by the religious mind. There aren't too many of those types in my area, so it's only happened a few times, but it has gone fairly so far from my perspective. I tell them upfront that they have virtually no chance of changing my mind but I'm happy to listen to their pitch.

Studying Richard Dawkins' Memetics, sheds a powerful light on what's happening. The Christianity memeplex has taken over the host and replaced its reason for living. The host lives only to spread the memplex, in which case they become memeboids. Check out Dan Dennnet's explanation:

Wow, some really helpful tips on dealing with door knockers.

I don't open the door to people I don't know. I might talk to them briefly via my smart doorbell but walking around neighborhoods handing out advertisements, religious flyers, ect is a favorite tactic of would-be burgulars who are trying to get a look at what's inside your home.

It's good for you dealing fairly well with those door knockers. I usually open the door, smile back say 'sorry I don't have time' and shut the door. Am i being rude? Lol

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:1448
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.